No Bluetooth on Canadian MkVI TDIs?!

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Hello All:

My wife and I just took possession of a Canadian 2010 Golf TDI Wagon Comfortline. As we're both Blackberry addicts I optioned up to the Multimedia Package which, if you look at the VW Canada web site, includes the Premium 8 radio and "Bluetooth Mobile Phone Connectivity" (here's the link to the web site: http://www.vw.ca/vwcms/master_publi..._family/golf_wagon/information___pricing.html - you can download the Price List PDF to view the options list). Last night I tried to pair our phones with the car only to have them not detect any Bluetooth device. I phoned the service dept. at the dealership and was told not to worry as the module was probably not activated during pre-delivery. It was more than a little bit of a shock, then, when I went to the dealership today and was told that despite what the VW Canada web site says, the extra $1000 I put down for the Multimedia Package didn't include Bluetooth of any type - 9W2 or 9W3!! The dealer then said that my only option was to file a complaint with VW Canada and see what happens (which I have).

My question is: has anyone else bought a TDI Comfortline and experienced the same problem? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
what? that is just too weird! Why the hell would they advertise it like that then? I thought when you get the premium sounds the bluetooth controls come with it and its near the sunroof controls as opposed to highline that is on the steering wheel.
We ordered the Highline Golf, not gona get it until Nov 19, so won't be able to find anything until such time.

Keep us posted with what you find.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I know that on my Jetta Wagen the phone menu on the RNS-510 doesn't do anything, and both the phone and microphone buttons on the steering wheel only mute the radio.
However, I was able to pair my phone to the car by pushing one of the buttons up by the sunroof controls.

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
mo_focus said:
what? that is just too weird! Why the hell would they advertise it like that then? I thought when you get the premium sounds the bluetooth controls come with it and its near the sunroof controls as opposed to highline that is on the steering wheel.
We ordered the Highline Golf, not gona get it until Nov 19, so won't be able to find anything until such time.

Keep us posted with what you find.
The crazy part is that when you get the Comfortline with the Multimedia Package you get the multifunction steering wheel with the Bluetooth controls on the wheel. So here I have a Golf with the multifunction steering wheel but no Bluetooth installed in the car! Now the dealer is telling me that they can install the Bluetooth Handsfee Facility (essentially 9W2) from the VW accessories catalogue but they want $480 to do it. Needless-to-say I told them where to stick that one! I'm supposed to hear back from VW Canada by close of business on Monday so I'll keep you posted.

slipperymops

TDI
2010 TDI Golf Highline Station Wagon
Bluetooth missing

Hello:

What an interesting experience, we picked up our 2010 Golf Highhline TDI yesterday. We were told by the dealer that it has bluetooth on it, however, when they tried to connect our phone to the system, their technicians also found that the bluetooth option had not been hooked up. The highline was supposed to have all the options, the steering column shows the little phone button but for whatever reason the bluetooth also had not been hooked up.

I have since learned it is mandatory on all US vehicles and now with Canada adopting the no cell calls while driving, we are equally as upset. Our salesman is going to put the bluetooth into our system because he stated it was there, however we will not accept anything but the original factory system, no generic add ons.

Volkswagon Canada could certainly use someone more experienced with regards to their brochure options.

I will let you know how we make out with our system.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I know the highline wagon has bluetooth since someone on my forum had taken delivery and had it. I've also found someone selling 9w3 retrofit kits for those who didn't/couldn't get it but I'm sure it's a grey market part and uses a wiring adapter to connect to the factory wire harness. If the comfortline didn't come with 9w2 optional the wiring harness could even be different.

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
slipperymops said:
Hello:

What an interesting experience, we picked up our 2010 Golf Highhline TDI yesterday. We were told by the dealer that it has bluetooth on it, however, when they tried to connect our phone to the system, their technicians also found that the bluetooth option had not been hooked up. The highline was supposed to have all the options, the steering column shows the little phone button but for whatever reason the bluetooth also had not been hooked up.

I have since learned it is mandatory on all US vehicles and now with Canada adopting the no cell calls while driving, we are equally as upset. Our salesman is going to put the bluetooth into our system because he stated it was there, however we will not accept anything but the original factory system, no generic add ons.

Volkswagon Canada could certainly use someone more experienced with regards to their brochure options.

I will let you know how we make out with our system.

Slipperymops - I feel your pain!! I've uploaded a PDF with the description of what my dealer wants to install. Here's the link: http://www.takeittothemax.ca/Bluetooth.pdf It looks to be similar if not identical to the factory installed 9W2. I just refuse to pay the $480 to have it installed when it should have been in the car in the first place.

Chitty - thanks for the input. I'm reluctant to go grey market for something that should have been installed at the factory. As per my first post, the Multimedia Package I paid $1000 for listed "Bluetooth Mobile Phone Connectivity" as part of the package and it will be a cold day in July before I accept anything else!

sleder6

TDI
2009 jetta tdi wagon
i also purchased a 2009 tdi jsw highline and was told it had bluetooth..it has all the steering controls for bluetooth but im told i have to add the wiring harness to make it work..480 plus shop time ..what a load of crap..

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
sleder6 said:
i also purchased a 2009 tdi jsw highline and was told it had bluetooth..it has all the steering controls for bluetooth but im told i have to add the wiring harness to make it work..480 plus shop time ..what a load of crap..
Just heard back from VW Canada. They gave me the same line as Sleder6. Apparently, when they list "Bluetooth Mobile Phone Connectivity" as part of the $1000 Multimedia Package it just means that you can pay an additional $480 and install the functionality! I couldn't believe they were feeding me this line so I phoned the general manager of the dealership and told her I was going to proceed with Small Claims action against the dealership. About 5 minutes after this conversation I got an e-mail from her stating that they would install 9W2 at their cost.

The moral of this sad story is that if you're buying a VW in Canada be VERY, VERY careful. You might not get what you paid for.

sleder6

TDI
2009 jetta tdi wagon
i am also going to go after volkswagon and my dealer..enough of this ****.first the dsg and now this,,enough is enough

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
It seems to be a mistake on the VW Canada website.
On the order guide for the wagon, it's not listed.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerofile/7051/golf3.JPG

They should fix this. And by fixing I mean offer the bluetooth standard in the wagon. It's just stupid to offer it in the 5 door but not in the wagon.

But it explains why the Multimedia package is 300$ more on a 5 door golf.

sleder6

TDI
2009 jetta tdi wagon
vw canada just told me too bad..this will be my last volkswagan as ive been burnt with the dsg and now the bluetooth.im sure when speced out the 2009 highline it showed you got the bluetooth.does anybody have axcess to a 2009 spec and price sheets

TDpete

TDI
2010 Golf wagon
Well - just to add my complaint to the group. I have a 2010 highline and no bluetooth. They are looking into it because even they thought it should have it.

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Just back from the dealership. They installed 9W2 and it works as advertised. Was talking to the general manager who told me that the complaints are rolling in about Bluetooth not being installed in the TDI wagon. Apparently VW Canada is picking up at least part of the cost of installing it in our TDI. It was nice to have a sympathetic dealer who saw the light (unlike the rep at VW Canada). Thanks Allyson.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
timh2594 said:
Just back from the dealership. They installed 9W2 and it works as advertised. Was talking to the general manager who told me that the complaints are rolling in about Bluetooth not being installed in the TDI wagon. Apparently VW Canada is picking up at least part of the cost of installing it in our TDI. It was nice to have a sympathetic dealer who saw the light (unlike the rep at VW Canada). Thanks Allyson.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a onetime thing or if it will be done on all the vehicles? One of the dealers I've been talking to will include it as part of the price so we'll see...

TDpete

TDI
2010 Golf wagon
timh2594 said:
Can someone explain why this would not be covered 100% by the warranty. Seems like a defect in workmanship or material. Or does the fact that they forgot to install it somehow bypass the warranty.

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
VW Derf said:
Bluetooth is mentioned in the online pricing guide (http://www.vw.ca/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_ca/models/golf_vi.Par.0047.File.pdf/2010newgolfwagon_en.pdf), but not the 'order guide'.... I"m not sure where this will lead as I don't want to pay $500 for it when it may be included afterall....
As explained to me by the general manager at the dealership Bluetooth is not installed in any of the wagons, Trendline, Comfortline or Highline. The PDF at the VW Canada web site is wrong. VW Canada is in the process of changing web site providers and there have been a number of screw-ups. Compounding the problem is that VW Canada has not clarified with their dealers that while the hatch gets Bluetooth, the wagon doesn't. My ace-in-the-hole was the erroneous PDF showing that the Comfortline Multimedia Package included "Bluetooth Mobile Phone Connectivity". The dealer didn't have much of a choice but to comply with what was advertised. Those of you who bought Highline wagons may have a more difficult time depending on what the dealer told you was installed and how willing they are to eat the cost of retrofitting the module.

babaji

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI
Good News

First of all , I would like to say hello to everyone! Great Site!

I just took possession (in Canada) of a 2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline, I too paid the $1000 for the "multimedia package". Which was to include the Blue Tooth phone connectivity described as per the 'price list" in PDF format, on the VW.CA site. I was told upon picking up the car yesterday that it did not have the bluetooth after all, and I got a sympathetic 'sorry' from the sales person.

After some furious googling and some reading here last night I found this thread and decided to hit the dealer today. The dealers first reaction was 'it's not our fault', once he slowed down a bit and listened, he then realized that the error was with VW website and the PDF, he decided to call VW himself and champion my cause. It took him about 5 minutes to get his counterpart at Volkswagen to navigate over to the TDI Wagen page and download the 'price list'. After that it was hard to deny, we deserved to get what we paid for. They authorized a dealer install of the BT on Volkswagen's nickel. My sales manager also told VW that they better fix that PDF Soooon!

I still have a few points I am not too clear on and I am hoping someone can chime in and comment on them.

1. RCD-510 shows 'bluetooth audio' in the 'setup' menu. Is the BT AUDIO functionality actually working in these Golf Wagens? Or like the phone is it not present already? And if not will it work after they install the missing modules/ wiring harness etc.. ?

2. Sales manager says they will install the "dealer installed' Volk-L Bluetooth setup. Is that the same thing as the 9w2 Bluetooth module? If not can the 9w2 be installed, is it more desirable, or just functionally equivalent?

3) There is some discussion in another tread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=257554&page=2
about hacking the computer to get it to display MFD/MFI to display a Phone menu and have phone functionality displayed on the dash. Will this hack work on these Canadian Golf TDI Wagens once the dealer installs the bluetooth?

Any clarifications would be appreciated.

And Just to be clear, It's a sweet car, and I feel blessed, blue tooth or not:)

Thanks to all the VW Geeks that make this site possible!

Last edited:

sleder6

TDI
2009 jetta tdi wagon
i had another discussion with vw canada and they said to buzz off.they are doing nothing.time to take them to court i guess

babaji

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI
Guys,

My sales manager suggested that calling VW directly yourselves may not be the right approach. Can you get the Sales Manager to call his contact over at VW?

If you bought a Comfortline and and Multimedia package, then armed with the PDF, it's pretty hard to deny your claim. If you bought a Highline, it's going to be tough.

Newmarketca

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
VW Derf said:
Bluetooth is mentioned in the online pricing guide (http://www.vw.ca/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_ca/models/golf_vi.Par.0047.File.pdf/2010newgolfwagon_en.pdf), but not the 'order guide'.... I"m not sure where this will lead as I don't :eek: want to pay $500 for it when it may be included afterall....
I too share your pain! Purchased a Golf TDI comfortline wagon with the multimedia package. No Bluetooth. Had a dealer call VW apparently it was an ordering mistake by VW Canada. All models except the wagon get the bluetooth. By the way VW has now corrected the pricing page pdf to remove "Bluetoth Connectivity" from the multi media page.

Time to complain as I did save a copy of the previous version.

Mike

TDpete

TDI
2010 Golf wagon
Newmarketca said:
I too share your pain! Purchased a Golf TDI comfortline wagon with the multimedia package. No Bluetooth. Had a dealer call VW apparently it was an ordering mistake by VW Canada. All models except the wagon get the bluetooth. By the way VW has now corrected the pricing page pdf to remove "Bluetoth Connectivity" from the multi media page.

Mike
Mike:

Can you post your copy? It will be good for us to have in hand.

Thanks

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
babaji said:
First of all , I would like to say hello to everyone! Great Site!

I just took possession (in Canada) of a 2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline, I too paid the $1000 for the "multimedia package". Which was to include the Blue Tooth phone connectivity described as per the 'price list" in PDF format, on the VW.CA site. I was told upon picking up the car yesterday that it did not have the bluetooth after all, and I got a sympathetic 'sorry' from the sales person.

After some furious googling and some reading here last night I found this thread and decided to hit the dealer today. The dealers first reaction was 'it's not our fault', once he slowed down a bit and listened, he then realized that the error was with VW website and the PDF, he decided to call VW himself and champion my cause. It took him about 5 minutes to get his counterpart at Volkswagen to navigate over to the TDI Wagen page and download the 'price list'. After that it was hard to deny, we deserved to get what we paid for. They authorized a dealer install of the BT on Volkswagen's nickel. My sales manager also told VW that they better fix that PDF Soooon!

I still have a few points I am not too clear on and I am hoping someone can chime in and comment on them.

1. RCD-510 shows 'bluetooth audio' in the 'setup' menu. Is the BT AUDIO functionality actually working in these Golf Wagens? Or like the phone is it not present already? And if not will it work after they install the missing modules/ wiring harness etc.. ?

2. Sales manager says they will install the "dealer installed' Volk-L Bluetooth setup. Is that the same thing as the 9w2 Bluetooth module? If not can the 9w2 be installed, is it more desirable, or just functionally equivalent?

3) There is some discussion in another tread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=257554&page=2
about hacking the computer to get it to display MFD/MFI to display a Phone menu and have phone functionality displayed on the dash. Will this hack work on these Canadian Golf TDI Wagens once the dealer installs the bluetooth?

Any clarifications would be appreciated.

And Just to be clear, It's a sweet car, and I feel blessed, blue tooth or not:)

Thanks to all the VW Geeks that make this site possible!
Hello babaji

To answer your questions:

If your dealer installs 9W2 then A2DP (Bluetooth music streaming) will work with the RCD-510. Here is the link to a PDF describing what I had installed in our TDI and what the dealer should be installing in your wagon: http://www.takeittothemax.ca/Bluetooth.pdf

Volk-L IS NOT 9W2. It is an earlier Bluetooth setup offered by VW and doesn't have nearly the functionality of 9W2. Here's a link to a video explaining the different versions of Bluetooth used by VW: http://askavwsalesguy.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/volkswagen-bluetooth-systems-explained/ Don't let your dealer get away with only installing Volk-L when you paid for 9W2!!

One of the techs at the dealership has agreed to hook up Vag-Com and re-program the MFD to allow for the phonebook/dial-out etc. when I bring the car in to have the winter tires installed (in 2 weeks or so). I'll let you know if this works.

And, yes, it is a sweet, sweet car! I just can't get over how really ignorant the reps at VW Canada are.

timh2594

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Newmarketca said:

Mike
Mike:

I cleared my cache, pulled in a fresh version of the PDF (http://www.vw.ca/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_ca/models/golf_vi.Par.0047.File.pdf/2010newgolfwagon_en.pdf) and I'm still seeing "Bluetooth Mobile Phone Connectivity" as part of the $1000 Comfortline Multimedia Package.

Tim

Saskie

TDI
Jetta, 2003
Weird, I still see it. I downloaded the price list as I figured VW would do something like pulling it from the internet. How do I post a file?