Snow chains for 2010 Golf TDI

sharkblue2010

TDI
Golf 2010
My local dealer said to not use snow chains on my 2010 Golf TDI. It seems to make sense as the tire clearance looks real small. Can any of you help me with any options I might have for a trip to the Sierras that I have planned for December?
I am going for the weekend, just the one time this winter. It may not snow at all, but I need to be prepared. My fallback plan is to monitor the weather and if there is snow, then I will just go out and rent a 4WD for the trip.
Any advice? I don't want to spend more on a solution for this one-time trip than it would cost to rent a car for the weekend.
Thanks.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
My local dealer said to not use snow chains on my 2010 Golf TDI. It seems to make sense as the tire clearance looks real small. Can any of you help me with any options I might have for a trip to the Sierras that I have planned for December?
I am going for the weekend, just the one time this winter. It may not snow at all, but I need to be prepared. My fallback plan is to monitor the weather and if there is snow, then I will just go out and rent a 4WD for the trip.
Any advice? I don't want to spend more on a solution for this one-time trip than it would cost to rent a car for the weekend.
Thanks.
The owner's manual will probably say it needs chains that meet "S-class" clearance or the actual clearance amount.

www.vulcantire.com

Get the Thule snow chains.

CB-12

or

CS-10

Last edited:

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Looks like the OP lives in the Bay Area. I'm not certain, but I think studded snow tires may be illeagl in California.

Best bet is a set of steelies with snow tires. Just switch out your wheels when you head up to the mountians for the weekend.

I've heard that chains could snap the brake lines if they break.

Here's another option: SpikesSpider:http://www.spikes-spiders.com

A little spendy, but cheaper than a set of 4 steeleis and snow tires. Also easy to put on and take off.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Trust me, these are worth the price. I got stuck pulling a trailer (with cycle) up a snow covered hill with about 1 foot of snow. Momentum got me half way up and a truck was following me (4X4). I don't even think he noticed I slowed down as I had the spike spiders on in about 30 seconds and was climbing up the hill again. Even faster to pull off. And you don't get dirty laying on the ground hooking up cables/chains and you don't have to drive on them or off them for removal/install. My pregnant wife last year had no issues installing when needed. I bought the set that had actual chains on them as they work better for mud and snow with the most traction. Also they are adjustable to tighten/loosen some with wear on both chains and tire (depending on set).

No I don't make any profit from selling these. They are just really good and worth the price. Do some searching on craigslist or craigslist helper as there is several that sell every year. If you don't have all the parts you can buy the hubs and fasteners cheaper then the whole thing new.

Looks like the OP lives in the Bay Area. I'm not certain, but I think studded snow tires may be illeagl in California.

Best bet is a set of steelies with snow tires. Just switch out your wheels when you head up to the mountians for the weekend.

I've heard that chains could snap the brake lines if they break.

Here's another option: SpikesSpider:http://www.spikes-spiders.com

A little spendy, but cheaper than a set of 4 steeleis and snow tires. Also easy to put on and take off.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've been driving FWD Volkswagens for over 20 years, even through mountain passes in January, never have I ever felt the need for anything other than decent tires. Where on Earth are you guys going that you find this necessary? They don't even plow our road in winter, yet my Jetta trudges through snow so deep I have to stop and shove the pile off the front bumper to clear the headlights.... yet it never gets "stuck". Maybe it is that 52hp traction control system, eh? :D

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
^Well not everybody in the country has an average snowfall of 19.8" per year ;) Where I'm from in NY (ski country) we average 188" of snowfall per year. GRANTED.. I've owned fwd, rwd, awd, and 4wd and was able to combat them all just fine thru the elements; if NY allowed chains I'd be jumping all over them.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I've been driving FWD Volkswagens for over 20 years, even through mountain passes in January, never have I ever felt the need for anything other than decent tires. Where on Earth are you guys going that you find this necessary? They don't even plow our road in winter, yet my Jetta trudges through snow so deep I have to stop and shove the pile off the front bumper to clear the headlights.... yet it never gets "stuck". Maybe it is that 52hp traction control system, eh? :D
In some states, depending on weather conditions & road conditions, the DOT & State Police can make use of chains (for 2WD cars, for this sake of argument) mandatory, which includes check points where the State Police will check your car to see if chains are installed. If not AND you don't have any, you will not be allowed to proceed forward.

^Well not everybody in the country has an average snowfall of 19.8" per year ;) Where I'm from in NY (ski country) we average 188" of snowfall per year. GRANTED.. I've owned fwd, rwd, awd, and 4wd and was able to combat them all just fine thru the elements; if NY allowed chains I'd be jumping all over them.
NY allows chains, only if a snow emergency has been declared

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Yes.

NY Law, VAT, Article 1, para 145c:

§ 145-c. Snow emergency route. A street or highway designated as a snow emergency route by the state or municipality having jurisdiction over such street or highway upon which no vehicle shall operate without
snow tires and/or tire chains when a snow emergency has been declared by the state or municipality having jurisdiction thereof. Each snow emergency route shall be posted in accordance with the provisions of
article forty-four of this chapter. The provisions of this section shall not apply to signs installed and operative prior to the date on which this section takes effect, provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall apply to signs replaced on and after such date.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Agree with the part of some passes being mandatory for chains. I have only needed them the one time but like I said. It was about 18 inches of snow on a uphill street pulling a trailer and motorcycle in Rapid City last X-mas. They were opening the interstate just ahead of me at each town. Hundreds were in the ditch and I was cruising along with the trailer and a FWD car no issues till I hit that unplowed side street to drop off the bike (hauling it to pay for fuel for visits home off of uship). The rest of the time it is just an insurance since WY doesn't like to plow roads but we still need to go to work and we don't own a 4X4.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
So I've been really thinking about this.. does anybody have more info on these? Do they work good? Do they last long? Do you have to jack up the car to put them on?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I've run mine for 3 winters. Obviously not daily, but through a dozen storms or so. The cables I use can be installed in 5 minutes, both sides. They can be install on the side of the road, no tools or jacking required.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
By these are you talking about the tire cables or the spikes spiders? I don't know how long they last but you can buy individual parts that you wear out. They install in about a minute depending on how fast you are and only your feet touch the snow. Tire cables you can install in about the 5 minute mark but you have to reach around to the inner side of the tire to hook up that part so you could get dirty there and your wheel well could be packed with snow and ice already. And when you unhook them you do have to drive off either set (cables or spike spider). No tools or jacks for either set.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
www.spikes-spider.com

you do need tools to install the hub though. They are supplied, but.... a regular socket & torque wrench is easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB07FLxi_s8
I second that. I carry a 3/8 drive ratchet and a 13mm if I ever get a flat. I just keep the hubs on the car at or near winter time or if I will be going where there is possibly mud (Wy doesn't rain much). Just use a torque wrench to tighten down. 18 ft-lbs I think it is with the supplied tool. You would think for the price they would give to a better "torque" wrench then that thing that comes with it. It is a thick wire shaft thing with a loop in it. That goes in to a cheap socket and when the ends of the loops touch it is tight then. I think it is light 1/4 inch round shaft (wire). To set up the hubs you take the caps off your lug bolts. then you put a 3 prong piece on that with a cap and then a bolt piece. That has a hole threaded into it to bolt the hub down. You have to chose the correct size length bolt. I went one size longer then their "ideal" as someone else advised since it makes putting on the chains/cables/what ever they are called on easier. Then the hub goes on next with bolts that thread into the lengthener bolts. Same torque as the other ones. Then there is a plastic cover that goes on this hub to make things look nicer when not being used. You take that hub off, and on my model of spike-spider you put the great part of the chain down and put the rest of the chain over the tire and hook onto the hub and then you drive off. To unhook you unhook the hub and pull the chain off the tire, drive off them and put them away. The models with just the arms don't offer as much traction but I would think you can take off without driving off them. Both the arm ones and the chain ones are adjustable for a few different sizes of tires and the mounting hardware is universal. It makes changing tires a little longer with the installed hub but putting on the chains are a breeze. Also since the hardware clamps on to the lug bolts the sometime aren't straight enough to install the hub. You may need to wiggle them around some. I drill a few holes out a little so it make it easier. One other thing is that the hub only prevents the cables from falling off. The arms/chains grip the tire to prevent slipping on the tire. The hub will allow the chains/arms to twist if it doesn't grip the tire. Good investment for the main car. The rest have the "get down on the ground to hook up" cables from walmart but I have only tested those out. I had to use the spike spider.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
the votex cross bars for my old MK4 Golf has a similar style of "torque wrench".

Then again... not everyone has a torque wrench.

my 3/8" and 1/2" Craftsmen "Click" style torque when I got for $50 each over ten years ago sees plenty of usage...

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
www.spikes-spider.com

you do need tools to install the hub though. They are supplied, but.... a regular socket & torque wrench is easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB07FLxi_s8
Ya i've been cruising their website, but that video was pretty awesome. Thanks man! I'm debating if I want just the spiders with studs, or the spiders with the chains too (hard decision). Can you actually drive faster than 30mph like the website says you cant?

I second that. I carry a 3/8 drive ratchet and a 13mm if I ever get a flat. I just keep the hubs on the car at or near winter time or if I will be going where there is possibly mud (Wy doesn't rain much). Just use a torque wrench to tighten down. 18 ft-lbs I think it is with the supplied tool. You would think for the price they would give to a better "torque" wrench then that thing that comes with it. It is a thick wire shaft thing with a loop in it. That goes in to a cheap socket and when the ends of the loops touch it is tight then. I think it is light 1/4 inch round shaft (wire). To set up the hubs you take the caps off your lug bolts. then you put a 3 prong piece on that with a cap and then a bolt piece. That has a hole threaded into it to bolt the hub down. You have to chose the correct size length bolt. I went one size longer then their "ideal" as someone else advised since it makes putting on the chains/cables/what ever they are called on easier. Then the hub goes on next with bolts that thread into the lengthener bolts. Same torque as the other ones. Then there is a plastic cover that goes on this hub to make things look nicer when not being used. You take that hub off, and on my model of spike-spider you put the great part of the chain down and put the rest of the chain over the tire and hook onto the hub and then you drive off. To unhook you unhook the hub and pull the chain off the tire, drive off them and put them away. The models with just the arms don't offer as much traction but I would think you can take off without driving off them. Both the arm ones and the chain ones are adjustable for a few different sizes of tires and the mounting hardware is universal. It makes changing tires a little longer with the installed hub but putting on the chains are a breeze. Also since the hardware clamps on to the lug bolts the sometime aren't straight enough to install the hub. You may need to wiggle them around some. I drill a few holes out a little so it make it easier. One other thing is that the hub only prevents the cables from falling off. The arms/chains grip the tire to prevent slipping on the tire. The hub will allow the chains/arms to twist if it doesn't grip the tire. Good investment for the main car. The rest have the "get down on the ground to hook up" cables from walmart but I have only tested those out. I had to use the spike spider.
Thanks for the info man. I appreciate that.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
shouldn't drive faster than the recommended speed. I've done that with regular Thule chains (CB-12) and it slipped off the wheel, cut the wheel speed sensor wire & damaged a brake line, all this trying to get up my steep driveway.

Spike Spider Sport (chain/stud) has no trouble with my steep driveway