03' Jetta idles rough?

GOTSMOK

TDI
03' Jetta TDI
hey guys, I have recently brought my jetty back to life after a broken timing belt a couple years ago. I bought another whole car to just swap the engines out since that was easier and cheaper route for me than fixing the one I had. but long story short, I spent a weekend getting it all swapped over and finally got her cranked up and running and it idles pretty rough but revs up fine, no check engine light and only codes are brake like switch and boost control solenoid. I thought maybe it was a fuel supply issue but if that was the case it would idle fine and not fuel anymore. im at a lost here. I've drained the tank, cleaned the sending unit, new fuel filter, conditioned the fuel.... any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Mike.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Connect VCDS and report back the injection quantity. The pump may be overfueling at idle.

For more information check out this article.

GOTSMOK

TDI
03' Jetta TDI
I do have a 30 sec video with my solus hooked up would that tell you anything if i posted it? and figure out how lol.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I do have a 30 sec video with my solus hooked up would that tell you anything if i posted it? and figure out how lol.
I don't know what you mean. If you don't have vcds or some tool to give you the injection quantity then you won't be able to check out the recommendation I sent you.

If you need access to VCDS, there are people probably in your area with the tool. http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Post video at pics.tdiclub.com, detailed instruction below. Basically you have to log in again, upload and check that your file type is listed. Then harvest a linky to put back here.
Don't know from solus. We're wanting to see Group 000 Field 4, better yet Group 001.
A4 TDI engine measuring blocks/groups

GOTSMOK

TDI
03' Jetta TDI
ok gotcha, so on the solus (snap-on tool) scanner it will show injection amount, start of delivery, DC start of delivery valve and slide sensor. im thinking I might need to adjust the cover like you were saying. thanks guys for the replies as well!

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
How long was the pump your using left open? I just ran into an issue with a know good pump from a year ago was installed, and it was no good. It could be gummed up from sitting so I’m gonna run some diesel purge into it and let it sit to see if something in the top part is stuck.

GOTSMOK

TDI
03' Jetta TDI
I capped everything off when I took the engine out of the other car, but I ended up just tapping the top cover towards front of engine and it runs perfect now. thanks to the other guys for the info and replies! now if only I can figure out why these D@#$ brake lights wont work and glowplug light is flashing. I have installed a new brake light switch and bulbs are good.