Switching to Rotella T6 5w40

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
What took so long, Bob??
After a long break from Rotella, I too, am switching back. I was getting M1 TDT for less than T6 for quite a while with the rebate ($12 back on 5 qts), but M1 has increased in price and did not have the rebate when it was time to stock up again, so its back to Rotella. That worked well for years in my ALH engines.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What took so long, Bob??
After a long break from Rotella, I too, am switching back. I was getting M1 TDT for less than T6 for quite a while with the rebate ($12 back on 5 qts), but M1 has increased in price and did not have the rebate when it was time to stock up again, so its back to Rotella. That worked well for years in my ALH engines.
The cost / benefit ratio of T6 is just outstanding.

I think you'll notice T6 is *much* better in the winter compared to TDT (unless you plug-in)

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Since free maintenance for the first 20k I have only used the Rotella for the next 200k.

No issues at all, intake is even so clean at 185k that they didn't bother to clean it.

I do 5k changes with OEM filter (let the complaining begin). But it works for me.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
Since free maintenance for the first 20k I have only used the Rotella for the next 200k.

No issues at all, intake is even so clean at 185k that they didn't bother to clean it.

I do 5k changes with OEM filter (let the complaining begin). But it works for me.

That ought to get the 10K oci police going. I go 6K most times with a Wix filter, sometimes I think of going back to 5K. Thanks for the encouragement. Seriously.

Last edited:

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Rotella 4w40

I have bought Rotella T6 5w40 for $21 up to $28/gal, the best price being at Walmart.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm going to a 80,000 OCI. I'm going to change the oil, timing belt and tires all at the same time, go another 80k, and then junk the car. With the money and time I save changing oil I going to eat out more often.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I use Rotella T6 for breath freshener, deodorant, mouth wash, bath oil and tooth paste, hair-tonic too.
My TDI's (and I) have trived on this stuff.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
T6 user here too in the tdi. Long time user here of dino rotella on marine engines. Good UOA's, good price, available anywhere.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I miss the good o'le days of the TDI oyl wars.
One would feel the hostility through the key board!
Many evenings were filled with laughs and choaks just reading that stuff.
Now you can't even get a rise from anyone about engine oyl.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Bob, are you going to be changing your oil soon, if so I look forward to your cold weather comparison with the others you have tried.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Heck I remember "oyl talk" when this Rotella added the "T6" designation.

Perhaps we'll have to settle for the OCI discussions.

Golfrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I've been running the T6 Rotella now for near 6 changes (10k interval of course)...this after the Amsoil 3000 went to near $11.00/quart. My Golf will turn 222,222 tomorrow- on it's way to 333,333 and ?.
Blackstone analysis at 10k says AOK. Recently bought 2 gallons at the Wally Mart for less than $6/qt. Can't be beat..run it in the Kubota Tractor and the Volvo Marine engine as well.

Maybe good lubrication to a motorhead is like eternal life methinks....maybe it's like the illusive fountain of youth. If given enough care and attention..and thought..can something exceed all preconceived and accepted limitations? Just thinking...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Bob, are you going to be changing your oil soon, if so I look forward to your cold weather comparison with the others you have tried.
Yup, got another 1500 miles or so until I reach 10K miles on RL 0w40.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
This has been contrary to my personal experiences with both, and I don't plug my car in.
Hmm. Do you startup and drive off within 30 seconds to a minute? The engine should be less sluggish with cold T6 vs. cold TDT.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cost / benefit ratio of T6 is just outstanding.

I think you'll notice T6 is *much* better in the winter compared to TDT (unless you plug-in)
Yes it is great value in synthetic. If it wasn't for taking advantage of the $12 rebate they had on M1, I would never have switched.
I don't plug in, but car is almost always in unheated/insulated garage. Only time its plugged (timer for a couple hours) in is when its colder than -25F. At those sustained temps it starts to get fairly "chilly" even in the garage. I've used lots of T6 in the last several years and TDT for the last couple years. Never noticed any real difference in cold start performance.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Hmm. Do you startup and drive off within 30 seconds to a minute? The engine should be less sluggish with cold T6 vs. cold TDT.
If I'm in a rush, otherwise I let the car warm up for a few minutes before I drive it.

I've just noticed the engine seems a bit quieter and definitely has less oil accumulation in my IC than the T-6, which I used for a long time.

Curious, but why do you say the T-6 is better in the cold than the TDT?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
If I'm in a rush, otherwise I let the car warm up for a few minutes before I drive it.

I've just noticed the engine seems a bit quieter and definitely has less oil accumulation in my IC than the T-6, which I used for a long time.

Curious, but why do you say the T-6 is better in the cold than the TDT?
T6 has lower viscosity than TDT. Moves around better in the cold.
T6 has a significantly higher viscosity index, so it theoretically flows better in the cold, and most have reported this manifesting itself in some noticeable fashion. I suspect TDT is near the cusp of the 5w and 10w border, while T6 is either middle of 5w or close to the 5w/0w border. SAE grades are a tiered system (step function).

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
T6 has a significantly higher viscosity index, so it theoretically flows better in the cold, and most have reported this manifesting itself in some noticeable fashion. I suspect TDT is near the cusp of the 5w and 10w border, while T6 is either middle of 5w or close to the 5w/0w border. SAE grades are a tiered system (step function).
Perhaps thats part of the reason why TDT has showed such good results in PDs?? A bit "thicker"?
I'm not a fan of extreme low viscosity oils. They have their place I guess. 0w-xx whatever works OK in my cold weather ATV, but I'm not comfortable with it in the TDI-even the ALH.
When I go up to Ontario ice fishing they have a 0-40 Rotella, but I see it's not full synthetic.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Perhaps thats part of the reason why TDT has showed such good results in PDs?? A bit "thicker"?
I'm not a fan of extreme low viscosity oils. They have their place I guess. 0w-xx whatever works OK in my cold weather ATV, but I'm not comfortable with it in the TDI-even the ALH.
When I go up to Ontario ice fishing they have a 0-40 Rotella, but I see it's not full synthetic.
The Rotella t5 0w40 sold in Canada is synthetic.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Bob,I looked at the two links you attached to your first post in this thread, lots of info but no spec sheet. Could you please post the T6 spec sheet. I'm curious how this compares to the new 505.01 dealer spec Castrol Edge. The 505.01 Edge looks close to a 0w40.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Bob,I looked at the two links you attached to your first post in this thread, lots of info but no spec sheet. Could you please post the T6 spec sheet. I'm curious how this compares to the new 505.01 dealer spec Castrol Edge. The 505.01 Edge looks close to a 0w40.
No spec sheet that I know of. The CJ-4 link in my sig has info gleaned from multiple sources though. (the chart on the first page)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
No low viscosity oils (xw20s and some xw30s) being discussed here. :D Both T6 and TDT are the same viscosity when hot, in the 14 cSt range. T6 thickens up less at cold temps and starts to thin out faster to its eventual thickness. Those are both good things. The ideal oil would be the same thickness cold as hot. That so far hasn't happened yet.

0w40 oils are not thin oils, they just flow better in the cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW3w0bKurbg

The best year-round oil (for any location) for the ALH is Mobil 1 0w40. In Canada they have D1 ESP 0w40 available, that's CJ-4, something we don't get here.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
FWIW I've been using T6 in all my gassers. I go about 8k between changes.

Runs smooth as butter in my Subaru & Ram. The M35 still gets TDT.