Wiring (HELP) for Power Drivers Seat

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
My NEW Seat :cool:

I am about to take on the challenge of installing power driver seat into my 03 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon. I plan to document it so anyone else brave/dumb enough might be able to repeat the process. My car already has leather heated manual seats. I purchased a power/memory driver’s seat from a totaled 02 Jetta GLX. They did not have the passenger seat and at this time I am not that concerned about the passenger seat being manual. The project I want to accomplish is order of importance is:

• Installing the power drivers seat in place of the original, and wiring the power to this seat.
• Getting the memory to work when you push the buttons on the side of the seat.
• Getting the memory to work when you unlock the car. I.e. the seat goes to my position (I am 6ft) when I unlock the car, and to my wife’s (she is 5ft) when she unlocks the car.

I have looked extensively at the Bentley Service Manual and the ETKA Part Catalog, to attempt to figure out exactly what I need to purchase and install. I am looking for any help anyone might be able to provide.

Below is what I can figure from the wiring diagram for the “power” for the power seats.
Wiring for Power Function

Since I am only doing the driver seat, it appears I only need to wire pins 3-5 in the red 6-pin connector that is located under the drivers seat (see picture).

Assuming I have wiring diagram this correct:
I need the part number for the red 6-pin male side of this connector? FYI the red 6-pin female connector that is attached under the drivers seat and shown in the picture above is part number 1J0 937 741.

Once, I have this 6-pin connector, I will need to wire it as follows:
Pin 3 – A 2.5mm (12ga) wire goes to 30a in the instrument panel wiring harness. When I look just to the left of the steering column under the dash I see this:

In the picture do I have the 2.5mm wire going to the proper location?

From the (30a) location, a 4.0mm (8ga) wire is to go to S44 a circuit breaker that is attached to the relay panel. I believe the circuit breaker is a 30A fuse, which is part number 443 937 105A, and a fuse holder, which is part number 4A0 937 530.
Can anyone confirm these? Are there any other parts I need here? Pre made patch wires? Is this where the fuse holder attaches?

From the circuit breaker a 6.0mm (?ga) wire goes to Plus connector -4- (30) in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Do I have the correct location identified in the above picture? If not were should I be looking?

Pin 4 – a 2.5mm (12ga) wire goes to ground connection -2- in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Where is this location?
From there a 4.0mm (8ga) wire goes to ground connection -1- in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Where is this location?
From there a 1.5mm (16ga) wire goes to ground connection on the steering column.
Where is this location?
Also, from the ground connection -1- a 4.0mm (8ga) wire goes to ground connection beside the steering column.
Where is this location?
It appears all of this is just wires, are there any part numbers?
Big question , why are there so many wires running to so many ground locations? It seems to me if we take a wire to ground that should be all that we have to do, why so many locations?

Pin 5 – a 1.0mm (18ga) wire goes to wire connection (75x) in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Where is this location?
From there a 1.5mm (16ga) wire goes to fuse #1 in the fuse holder. I am assuming this is the 10A fuse #1 in the fuse panel. It appears this is the fuse for the heated outside mirrors.
Is this correct?
From there a 1.5mm (16ga) wire goes to a threaded connection -2- (75x) on the relay plate.
Where is this location?

This should give me a power driver seat.
Will it also provide me with the memory feature?
I know that the memory will not operate automatically when the car is unlocked with the remote, for this I need to wire into the CAN-BUS.
But will the seat hold memory for each of the three buttons? Will the seat move to each position when the button is pressed?

Below is what I can figure from the wiring diagram for the “memory” for the power seat.
Wiring for Memory Function
Now for the tough part:
I know that the brown 10-pin female connector (part number 1J0 937 743) is the key to fully enabling the memory function of this seat. The brown connector typically has wires running to multiple locations which then control the positions of both rear view mirrors. Though some day I want to get the memory motors for the mirrors, that are necessary to enable me to do this, today all I really want to accomplish is to have the seat receive the message from the CAN-BUS that remote #1 or remote #2 has unlocked the car and move to its corresponding memory position! I have looked are the wiring diagram from the Bentley Service Manual, and from what I can see only pins 1, 9, and 10 appear to connect to anything other then the mirrors.

Does it make sense that these are the only wires I will need to run?

If so, where are the locations found within the car where these wire are run to? Are there parts I need besides simply the wire(s)? If so, does anyone know the part numbers?

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
[ QUOTE ]
Since I am only doing the driver seat, it appears I only need to wire pins 3-5 in the red 6-pin connector that is located under the drivers seat (see picture).

[/ QUOTE ]

Run the additional power wire which goes to the driver's seat. I believe it's part of the seat memory function

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I have wiring diagram this correct:
I need the part number for the red 6-pin male side of this connector? FYI the red 6-pin female connector that is attached under the drivers seat and shown in the picture above is part number 1J0 937 741.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gordon, I believe I told you about Oldpoopie's discovery on the correct part for this. It's in his seat wiring thread. If you look up the part in ETKA, it shows it as a 3-pin connector. That 3-pin connector goes to another 3-pin connector which makes up the 6-pins. Go to the large wiring harness diagram and look up the connector,

ATP the number to find it's mate. This one is for the GREEN connector.

[ QUOTE ]
They are: 1j0-937-713 (pink locking tab)
1j0-937-714 (blue locking tab)

The two parts slide and lock together forming the complete connector. You'll have to insert any repair wires before you lock the 2 connectors together. You'll need 2 of each. Here are some pics:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In the picture do I have the 2.5mm wire going to the proper location? NO

From the (30a) location, a 4.0mm (8ga) wire is to go to S44 a circuit breaker that is attached to the relay panel.THIS IS THE THERMAL FUSE I believe the circuit breaker is a 30A fuse, which is part number 443 937 105A, and a fuse holder, which is part number 4A0 937 530.
Can anyone confirm these?I GAVE YOU THOSE PART NUMBERS, You can confirm it in ETKA Are there any other parts I need here? Pre made patch wires?YES Is this where the fuse holder attaches? YES

From the circuit breaker a 6.0mm (?ga) wire goes to Plus connector -4- (30) in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Do I have the correct location identified in the above picture? If not were should I be looking?This wire is already in your car. It's there in the picture, it feeds other things in your car which attach to 30A

Pin 4 – a 2.5mm (12ga) wire goes to ground connection -2- in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Where is this location? I told you to use the ground connection at the lower A-pillar next to the connectors there. Any ground will work, but this is a factory grounding point

From there a 4.0mm (8ga) wire goes to ground connection -1- in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Where is this location? Doesn't matter, already in your car, use the ground point I suggested
From there a 1.5mm (16ga) wire goes to ground connection on the steering column.
Where is this location? Next to the steering column, already in your car, use the ground point I suggested
Also, from the ground connection -1- a 4.0mm (8ga) wire goes to ground connection beside the steering column.
Where is this location?Doesn't matter, already in your car, use the ground point I suggested
It appears all of this is just wires, are there any part numbers?No
Big question , why are there so many wires running to so many ground locations? It seems to me if we take a wire to ground that should be all that we have to do, why so many locations? Because that's the way the car is wired. Thes ground location in the "dash-panel" wiring harness is just a splice in the harness buried somewhere in a thick wiring harness that you will never find. These "ground-points" are really just internal, running wire splices. The only critical ones, that you will add, are the ones which go to a specific point. You will not in all cases be able to find the "dash-panel wiring harness" in this case, just go to a good ground point.

Pin 5 – a 1.0mm (18ga) wire goes to wire connection (75x) in the instrument panel wiring harness.
Where is this location? [/b]It's a fat wire that goes from 75x on the power bar, to your fuse panel(feeding multiple locations)including Fuse #1.
From there a 1.5mm (16ga) wire goes to fuse #1 in the fuse holder. I am assuming this is the 10A fuse #1 in the fuse panel. It appears this is the fuse for the heated outside mirrors.
Is this correct? Yes, that is correct
From there a 1.5mm (16ga) wire goes to a threaded connection -2- (75x) on the relay plate.
Where is this location? This is existing, don't worry about it

There are two wires for fuse #1, one is yellow and black. That one goes to the yellow and black wire to 75X of the power bar(below the relay plate). Tap the OTHER wire. It's protected by the fuse. You will need to remove the two screws that hold the fuse panel and open the back. You can pull the fuse box down so the back is facing up which makes it easier to get access to the wires

This should give me a power driver seat. Yes
Will it also provide me with the memory feature? You will be the first to find out
I know that the memory will not operate automatically when the car is unlocked with the remote, for this I need to wire into the CAN-BUS.
But will the seat hold memory for each of the three buttons?You are probably the first to try this Will the seat move to each position when the button is pressed? Yes, this is how the OEM seat memory works

Below is what I can figure from the wiring diagram for the “memory” for the power seat.
Now for the tough part:
I know that the brown 10-pin female connector (part number 1J0 937 743) is the key to fully enabling the memory function of this seat. The brown connector typically has wires running to multiple locations which then control the positions of both rear view mirrors. Though some day I want to get the memory motors for the mirrors, that are necessary to enable me to do this, today all I really want to accomplish is to have the seat receive the message from the CAN-BUS that remote #1 or remote #2 has unlocked the car and move to its corresponding memory position! I have looked are the wiring diagram from the Bentley Service Manual, and from what I can see only pins 1, 9, and 10 appear to connect to anything other then the mirrors.

[/ QUOTE ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Does it make sense that these are the only wires I will need to run? You're gonna have to try and find out for yourself

If so, where are the locations found within the car where these wire are run to? Are there parts I need besides simply the wire(s)? If so, does anyone know the part numbers? Again, can bus goes to lower A-pillar station, black connector. Look for the orange and black and orange and brown wires. They are twisted. Tap your wires there for T10U/9 &10. There are multiple places to find the K-wire. Behind the radio, at the cluster wiring harness, at the OBDII connector. It's grey with a white stripe. Take your pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Go to illustration 971-81 for MY2002. Find Part 20, 3-pin red. You need TWO parts to make the 6-pin connector(SEE PHOTOS ABOVE)

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
I have finished the challenge of installing a power driver seat into my 03 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon. This is largely due to the wonderful assistance of Lito , without his help, I would never have even attempted this project! I have basically documented what needs to be done so anyone else brave/dumb enough might be able to repeat the process. My car already has leather heated manual seats. I purchased a power/memory driver’s seat from a totaled 02 Jetta GLX. They did not have the passenger seat and at this time I am not that concerned about the passenger seat being manual. The project accomplished ALL three of the tasks I wanted to get done.
• Installing the power driver’s seat in place of the original, and wiring the power to this seat.
• Getting the memory to work when you push the buttons on the side of the seat.
• Getting the memory to work when you unlock the car. I.e. the seat goes to my position (I am 6ft) when I unlock the car, and to my wife’s (she is 5ft) when she unlocks the car.

Below is what I can figure from the wiring diagram for the “power” for the power seats.
Wiring for Power Function

I personally only did the driver seat, so I only needed to wire pins 3-5 in the red 6-pin connector that is located under the drivers seat.

Below is what I needed to wire in order to get the memory to work with the individual key flops. From what I can determine, the memory buttons on the side of the seat will still work even if you do not wire this part of the seat.

Note: They sent me part number 1J0937733 rather then what I ordered 1J0937733A, a quick job with the a file, and I made the connector work, so I am not 100% confident that the “A” connector is what is needed, but my research tells me it is!

Good Luck! :cool:

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You must have some minimum skills and level of attention to detail like Gordon to attempt this. Gordon is very sharp and an easy study.

He also asks a Kazillion questions, senarios and alternatives. Without much prior experience with VW's wiring he managed to be successful.

Way to go Gordon!

FYI, the FOBs and seat position don't work on my car. It works on SVTWEB's car but he's got a 2002. I don't believe this function is supported prior to MY 2002.

Lito

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Flash9:

I'm sorry I can't help you much with this, because I have not done the mod, but I sure do want to compliment you on setting a new high standard here on the BB for quality of documentation and carefully edited writing.

Next think you know, Art from Bentley is going to be asking for your permission to use your text in his manuals...

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
DC-TDIWagon - You are correct and I will update my images ASAP. THANK YOU for catching this error! :(

Flash

Last edited:

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
DC-TDIWagon
I have replaced my Power Seat Image to include the correct part numbers, and updated the MY's for 2002 and 2003 since Lito has informed me that this might not work for MY 2001 and earlier.
Thank you for finding my error!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you mean too big? Is the diameter too large for the wire to go into the fuse holder body? Can you post some pics??

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OUCH! yes, that's the wrong connector end. Look up the fuse holder in the electrical portion of the catalog and find the wires that it can take under the housing part.

L

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
I tried looking it up. I really don't like the electrical section of ETKA. When I finally found it there were no part numbers listed with it. There was a similar fuse holder, but it is a double instead of a single, I might try the wires from that.
Brian

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brian,

A 25-30Amp fuse from Radio Shack, Pep Boys or Trak Auto will also work fine. It won't mount the same, but it works just as well.

L

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
tongsli said:
Brian,

A 25-30Amp fuse from Radio Shack, Pep Boys or Trak Auto will also work fine. It won't mount the same, but it works just as well.

L

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am on a mission now to find the right one. I know that Gordon used a 30 amp inline fuse, but since I already have a fuse and the holder I think I will just tough it out. Maybe I'll go to a dealer and see if the parts guys can match one to it. Hopefully it won't be too big of a headache.
Brian

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is the part number of the fuse holder you've got?? I think you may have the wrong number.

Is it 4B0 937 530??

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brian,

The maximum wire size you'll be able to fit into that connector is 2.5mm. You cannot buy a 4.0mm repair wire in that "style" of fuse holder. At least I can't find one. The other fuse holder will fit the repair wire you've got.

I've also looked through my "spare" OEM wiring harness and there are no 4.0mm OEM wires that I can give you.

I'd get the other fuse holder, or use a non-VW fuse holder.

Lito

VWflappie

Ok, installed it in my 1999.5 Golf and the seats work great! even the car knows with witch FOB the car is opened! and sets the seat for that person !!! GREAT!!

Next stop DSP and the mirror-memory!!

Special thanks to Tongsli!!

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Does this mean I need to update my wiring diagram again?
If so, sorry! :(

Last edited:

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Flash9,
Nice install.
I'm wondering how you connected to the CAN-Bus hi and lo? Did you use the official twisted-pair CAN-Bus repair wire? Did you solder?
I ran into difficulties with my Multi-Function steering wheel install which I think was a problem with the CAN-Bus, but I haven't gotten back to it. Since you were successfully able to tap it, I'm curious to know if you did anything special. Thanks.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
I used 18ga (over kill, but I had plenty) wire for connecting to the CAN-Bus. I twisted the two wires, then wrapped hockey tape to give them a little more protection. I taped into the CAN-Bus exactly where my drawing list for both the upper and lower.
Good Luck :)

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I ran into difficulties with my Multi-Function steering wheel install which I think was a problem with the CAN-Bus, but I haven't gotten back to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the number on the outside of your Control module?

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input guys. Guess it's not the way I connected to CAN-Bus that's the problem, maybe one of my components is bad /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Lito, the number on the control module is 451. P/N 1J0 907 487A. I believe 451 is used in the cars that connect to the radio via can, and 452 is used in the pre '02 cars that use the serial connection.

Guess I should find someone local who's willing to try my module in their car.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahhh...I don't think that's the case....SVTWEB and I both have 452. He's got a 2002 and I added it my 2000.

Try a 452 module. See if you can find a buddy with one.

Lito

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting. It does seem odd that 451 would come after 452. My controller and the steering wheel/airbag all came off the same car, an '02, so in theory, it should work on mine. (in theory...)

According to the Bentley, the change from Serial to CAN-Bus connection to the radio happened in July/August of '01. Do you recall if the soft coding on the controller is the same for your car and SVTWEB's?