(Former) 9W2 owners rejoice! Class Action Settlement

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I should have VCDS in a couple days so we'll see.

I have also found the bluetooth Icon button on the roof doesn't appear to do anything or at least it will not kick the unit into a search like with the old unit. i belive the supp. paper says it will cause the unit to scan for 3min.

Our home phone has bluetooth so my cell is connected to it when I get in my car. When I pull away from the house the connection is lost but the car does not connect to the phone. On the old unit, I could press the button a couple times and it would search for a device and would eventually find the phone. With the new unit, I dont see anything happening but will try to monitor it with a non paired device when I get some time.
That's the only function I like and often use with the yellow to green LED. I've had issues with my blackberry connecting and wouldn't have known that it wasn't if not for the little flashing yellow light. I am never sure which phone is connected in my wife's golf or if any of them are actually connected.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
For those of you wanting to buy a 9W7, here's one. It's p/n 5K0035730 - the same part and same HW and SW which I installed in my 2010 Jetta. It's only $188 shipped from within the US. You even get the Styrofoam holder which can be sold for $15

Ebay item 180947884267

Last edited:

chetstash

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI; Former owner of 2010 JSW TDI
UPDATE: I have an RNS-510 Nav system. I had the Settlement Module installed today. I now have full access to my phone through the radio touchscreen whereas I had zero touchscreen access with the 9W2. When I press phone on the radio, I now get a full phone menu on the screen. Imagine that? My phone book, recent calls, missed calls and Caller ID all show up on the screen. I can even access a dial pad! This is wonderful and should have been installed from the get-go two years ago. I have it all paired with an HTC EVO 3D. The only loss of functionality is the loss of the green light up top but all of the buttons up there now work whereas they did not under the 9W2.

I hope this is helpful for those of you few with RNS-510's who are part of the settlement.

EDITED to remove reference to MFD

Last edited:

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
UPDATE: I have an RNS-510 Nav system. I had the Settlement Module installed today. I now have full access to my phone through the MFD whereas I had zero touchscreen access with the 9W2. When I press phone on the radio, I now get a full phone menu on the screen. Imagine that? My phone book, recent calls, missed calls and Caller ID all show up on the screen. I can even access a dial pad! This is wonderful and should have been installed from the get-go two years ago. I have it all paired with an HTC EVO 3D. The only loss of functionality is the loss of the green light up top but all of the buttons up there now work whereas they did not under the 9W2.

I hope this is helpful for those of you few with RNS-510's who are part of the settlement.
Now I would love to see if there are any RCD owners that this works for...

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
UPDATE: I have an RNS-510 Nav system. I had the Settlement Module installed today. I now have full access to my phone through the MFD whereas I had zero touchscreen access with the 9W2. When I press phone on the radio, I now get a full phone menu on the screen. Imagine that? My phone book, recent calls, missed calls and Caller ID all show up on the screen. I can even access a dial pad! This is wonderful and should have been installed from the get-go two years ago. I have it all paired with an HTC EVO 3D. The only loss of functionality is the loss of the green light up top but all of the buttons up there now work whereas they did not under the 9W2.

Can you pull the coding from your module with VCDS? Sounds like there is hope yet for the 9w2 crowd

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Address 77: Telephone (J412) Labels: 7P6-035-730.clb
Part No SW: 5K0 035 730 B HW: 5K0 035 730 B
Component: TELEFON H09 1020
Revision: 1B001001 Serial number: 00007669641860
Coding: 0A00000000010100
Shop #: WSC 02172 444 59389
ASAM Dataset: UHVNA A01009
ROD: UHVNA_VW36.rod
VCID: E2C0200844DF

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Glad to hear it. Congratulations. Can you please let us know the part and/or model number of the module you had installed so we may be certain it's the same as what others have reported being put in? Thanks for the post.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey

THANKS, this really helps me. I have a settlement box waiting for me at the dealer... and told them I would call back to set up an appointment. I have an HTC EVO 4D.... the loss of the light is no big deal. Per a previous post in this tread you can program a chime when it connects (and may be disconnects). Regardless I think the new functionality is awesome. I wounder if they will give me the old 9W2 box? Might as well ask. I will be sure to tell them to hold onto it for awhile. I don't think I want to pop for a 9w7 on my own. Not sure what else you get? Voice dial? Anyway thanks.

chetstash

TDI
Ok, here is the picture. Sorry for the poor quality. The numbers that are unreadable at the top are "USA 051 473" and "SW: 3510". I should also amend my previous description of the functionality to say that the bluetooth menu in the MFD is only available if you are actively talking on the phone or using A2DP. So really the only way to know if you are connected is to look at your phone OR press the button on the overhead. It will say something about not "no bluetooth connected" or "Main Menu" depending on if it detects a device.

This is what mine looks like as well.

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
I checked the coding on my upgrade unit with VCDS and it has the same long code as the 9w7 but none of the bits have any description as to what they do. I was able to switch bit 4 from 00 to 01 and it disables the a2dp just like on the 9w7 so it appears the coding is the same... but we do not have MFD.

Last edited:

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to be clear...

The "PR Code" 9W7 is a three character code which describes an option your car has. It's not a part number.

To have a 9W7 option requires appropriate wiring, a microphone, applicable control switches, and a properly coded Bluetooth module (and a speaker which is probably always part of the radio). The actual Bluetooth module part number can be one of several part numbers, depending on the car and other components within the vehicle. The "9W7" BT module can change over time as other components upgrade (e.g., the RNS315 now has a BT module inside). Whether one specific BT module has the exact features of another may not always be the case, although basic functionality is likely to be the same because, after all, the "9W7" PR code suggests so.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a Preimum 8 radio and it does not have a phone button... I have a settlement box waiting for me at the dealer. Since the phone book/contacts does not show up in the MFD, will it show up on the touch screen as mentioned above>> Thanks.

after reading this a few times, it seems like the fone book display only works for RNS-510 GPS but not on the North American RCD 510 Touch Screen Radio (which is what I have). Sooooooo has anyone played around with the new unit and a VCDS to see if addtnl functionality can be obtained from the upgraded hardware? It seems most dealers and their service departments have clue zero about this part, and I'm thinking some of the problems could be fixed via VCDS tweaks.

Last edited:

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
No the premium 8 stereo(rcd-510) does not have any phone functions other that playing the audio though the speakers. All dialing will be either through the phone itself for though the voice command on the upgraded BT module.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
No the premium 8 stereo(rcd-510) does not have any phone functions other that playing the audio though the speakers. All dialing will be either through the phone itself for though the voice command on the upgraded BT module.
I may have misunderstood your comment, but I can assure you the Premium 8 (in my car) does have BT phone and BT streaming stereo audio through the car speakers. The radio will cut out when an incomming or out going call is made and PHONE will appear on the radio touch screen, just for the record. However I agree no phone contact list on the premium 8 radio display is possible (with what we know now) .

Unless the settlement br box can be programmed to displayed phone contact list onp the MFD/MFI between Tach and Speedo, and the Premium 8 does not support cell phone info or dialing, there seems to be no point in upgrading. You mentioned dialing by voice, which is fine, but I can pretty much do that now thru the phone.

Last edited:

malibuboats91

TDI
2010 Jetta
I called the dealer today and they said vw is doing the upgrades in waves. Supposedly my VIN number isn't up yet so they can't upgrade it. Does this sound right to you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I called the dealer today and they said vw is doing the upgrades in waves. Supposedly my VIN number isn't up yet so they can't upgrade it. Does this sound right to you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't to me; I'd be surprised if that were the case. I would try another dealer.

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
I may have misunderstood your comment, but I can assure you the Premium 8 (in my car) does have BT phone and BT streaming stereo audio through the car speakers. The radio will cut out when an incomming or out going call is made and PHONE will appear on the radio touch screen, just for the record. However I agree no phone contact list on the premium 8 radio display is possible (with what we know now) .

Unless the settlement br box can be programmed to displayed phone contact list onp the MFD/MFI between Tach and Speedo, and the Premium 8 does not support cell phone info or dialing, there seems to be no point in upgrading. You mentioned dialing by voice, which is fine, but I can pretty much do that now thru the phone.
Yes I meant the only thing the RCD510 can do is play phone audio and bt streaming audio but cannot initiate the call. The new unit works the same as the old unit but it enables the voice software if you push the PTT button on the ceiling and you can also code the MFSW PTT button to initiate a voice dial. The upgrade makes it possible to dial without taking the phone out of your pocket.

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
Doesn't to me; I'd be surprised if that were the case. I would try another dealer.
Call your parts dept. they might know more. My service dept. set me up and appointment not knowing anything about it, wanted to do it the next day but I asked if they would have the parts and she didnt know so I opted for a week out, then she transfered me to the parts dept. The guy in my part dept. took a copy of the card he said he needed the info on it to order the parts. Took 2-3day to receive them. From what I got, it sounds like the parts have to be ordered the parts for each customer individually and my parts guy said from the settlement group. Im guessing this is because its not a part they plan on stocking.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I meant the only thing the RCD510 can do is play phone audio and bt streaming audio but cannot initiate the call. The new unit works the same as the old unit but it enables the voice software if you push the PTT button on the ceiling and you can also code the MFSW PTT button to initiate a voice dial. The upgrade makes it possible to dial without taking the phone out of your pocket.
Thanks for the follow up, I understand now. Appreciate the info., and I am sure it will help others. Cheers.

PGTwinsfan

TDI
2010 JSW
Has anyone had the upgraded BT module installed in a JSW that does NOT have NAV?

Curious as to what functionality we get over the factory BT module.

Asking as I brought mine in today...and turns out nobody called to tell me the part hadn't come in.

I was told that the upgrade was nothing more than to allow more than 1 iPhone to connect.

I sure hope that is not accurate.

I'll try to confirm with VW and post the results here.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
That sounds good. How do you know if you have the RNS-510? I have a 2010 JSW TDI with navigation. Is that the RNS-510?

UPDATE: I have an RNS-510 Nav system. I had the Settlement Module installed today. I now have full access to my phone through the radio touchscreen whereas I had zero touchscreen access with the 9W2. When I press phone on the radio, I now get a full phone menu on the screen. Imagine that? My phone book, recent calls, missed calls and Caller ID all show up on the screen. I can even access a dial pad! This is wonderful and should have been installed from the get-go two years ago. I have it all paired with an HTC EVO 3D. The only loss of functionality is the loss of the green light up top but all of the buttons up there now work whereas they did not under the 9W2.

EDITED to remove reference to MFD

lagomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf
my local dealer could not install it. They had the car for 8 hrs and reinstalled the old module. I now need to take the car back and give them another day to do the job, and hope that the "computers that program the module" are working that day.
Basically, they didn't know how to code it, and still might not.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
my local dealer could not install it. They had the car for 8 hrs and reinstalled the old module. I now need to take the car back and give them another day to do the job, and hope that the "computers that program the module" are working that day.
Might I ask a simple question? Does your Golf have a module of any sort under the right seat? Is there a black Styrofoam thin box Velcro'd to the carpeting there. Or is it a hard plastic or metal enclosure? Or none at all?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Maybe you should call VWoA and see if they can have a technician walk your dealer through the programming?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
If you have navigation, you have an RNS-510.
So then it sounds like the only thing I lose is the light indicating bluetooth is connected.

But I gain voice command dialing, and on the RNS-510 I get phonebook download, and other phone functions.

So for those of us with the RNS-510, it sounds like we get about what we would get by swapping out the 9w2 module for the 9w7 module?

chetstash

TDI
So then it sounds like the only thing I lose is the light indicating bluetooth is connected.

But I gain voice command dialing, and on the RNS-510 I get phonebook download, and other phone functions.

So for those of us with the RNS-510, it sounds like we get about what we would get by swapping out the 9w2 module for the 9w7 module?
We also don't get the bluetooth menu on the MFD on the dash (I believe the 9W7 gives you that). No complaints here though as everything is now accessed through the radio.

By the way, the whole installation took 5 minutes at the dealer- they told me no coding was involved.

PGTwinsfan

TDI
2010 JSW
Finally got the new module installed today.

So far so good, iPhone paired right away. Finally have some functionality from the overhead buttons and voice dialing worked great.

Big thanks to those that drove this forward and getting us the new features.