VW diesel mechanic in Portland, OR?

JayKay

I am buying a 91 Jetta this week. I will want to change out the hoses to allow me to run biodiesel (B100). Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Portland, OR area to do this work (and maybe any future work I might need)? Thanks in advance.

John

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Since nobody else has chimed in, I'll take a stab at it.

I'm not from Portland, but my wife is, and we visit her family often. She used to take her '74 Beetle to Esquire Motors (on Canyon? Road). She reports she had very good service from them.

I had an occasion to have glowplugs replaced, injectors tested, and general work done on the '92 Passat TD while visiting there; they did a nice job, allowed me to see the car while it was being worked on, did reasonable work. I thought the price was expensive (especially after I converted it to Canadian $) but felt that the work was performed by knowledgeable and competent mechanics.

So, I would recommend them but they may be a bit pricey.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
[ QUOTE ]
I am buying a 91 Jetta this week. I will want to change out the hoses to allow me to run biodiesel (B100). Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Portland, OR area to do this work (and maybe any future work I might need)? Thanks in advance.
John

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly recommend Hillside Imports. Their website can be found at Hillside Imports.com Not only do they do excellent work, but they are very knowledgeable and honorable people. We mostly worked with René, who owns the place. Hillside is a family business, and they all know a ton about VW’s...and that includes the secretary! (Now that’s rare!) Anyway, I'd give them a call if you ever need something worked on. (They also have some pretty sweet project cars, which can be seen at their site.)

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
There's also been some mention of ReBorn Automotive on MLK.

I haven't taken my TDI there, but I took my '67 bug there about 15 years ago....

I've dealt with Hillside and they were wonderful!

Keli

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
First on my list is Jim Mittelstedt in Tigard, phone 639-2751. More reasonable charges, and more than competent. He'll answer any question you have, does good work.

Second is Halsey Automotive at NE 77th. They'll do very good work, but the service manager is convinced biodiesel is terrible fuel. Costs more, much bigger shop than Jim's.
Jerry

soccerdude55PDX

TDI
Jetta '04 Galactic Blue
reborn automotive.. ask for vince or carl
rebornauto.com. tell them Karl from the tdi club told you to call.