How much, roughly, would my 01 TDI be worth?

Richard Hammond

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, Dad's 2004 Jetta TDI
Hello all,

So I've had an interest in the 2006 TDIs since I bought mine, and I'm thinking once the spring hits, I'll get to work on my 2001 Jetta and sell it for a 2006.

The big thing I'm wondering, is how much is my car worth?

It has a few issues with the Auto transmission, but I am planning on replacing the tranny altogether or doing a rebuild. The windshield will have to be replaced, and the hood has to be replaced as well (a few dings here and there and some rust/chipping on the cowl). The front bumper has some salt corrosion on the paint, and I'm not completely sure it's worth swapping that up. Front seat has a small rip and needs to be upholstered. The mudflap on the right side is broken too, I suppose. The big issue I see body-wise is that the inner-right-front fender broke off this summer and has a large area torn off that I patched with a some garbage can plastic.

The car has 277,000km on it currently. Handles and runs just fine, has stock set of springs I just replaced my lowered ones with, and has a set of alloys. Heated seats, no sunroof, cloth, heated mirrors, etc. Aftermarket deck and speakers.
What I'm really wondering is how much it would cost getting everything fixed up (I know to replace the tranny that'll cost 700 or so) and how much I could sell my car for.

BC gas prices are astronomical, so the price of TDIs have skyrocketed as well, and the avg price of a TDI being sold on Craigslist is anywhere from 5000 to 9000 (most of these being 300k or more). I bought the car for 2500 in this shape...do you think if I flip it, I could sell it for around 6000?
Here's a list, sorted by price, of all Mark IV TDIs in BC, just to give an idea of how much of a market there is.
http://bc.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehicles...000QQCatIdZ174QQSortZ3QQisProvinceSearchZtrue

Thanks to all who answer.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
700 for a tranny replacement?? I want to know where you are getting one at that steal of a price.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
You can always put it out there and see if you catch some sucker... But really in that market I do see that they are a bit higher... kind of in the range of seattle or bay area here in Cali... TDi owners who know what they are looking for...6k is quite a stretch for an auto in that kind of condition. You should call one or two of the guys on that list and see if they still have their car.... call some of the people who have 5 speeds... because the 5 speed ones are in much higher demand and tend to sell for higher prices than automatic ones. So if they still have their car their price is too high.. Your price with an Automatic should come in well below a 5 speed car price.

It doesnt really matter what people are asking.. it matters what people are selling for.

Try not to be offended if you put your car out there for 6k and you get some low ball offers.. or none at all.... its just business and people know what they are getting into with that Auto trans...

Like I said you could ask whatever you want. Really matters what you get...