Input/Advice

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
I've come across a B4 that's had an ALH swapped into it by a shop on the Trusted Mechanics list. The turbo/manifold are still 1Z, tranny is also original B4.

Lots of plusses for me in this combo, but what are the (potential) minuses? Swap was done 100K miles ago (don't know how many miles on the ALH prior to the swap).

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
as long as the price tag is right, should be fine! no other draw backs than usual

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
^^^ what he said.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price was attractive but again you'll need to remember what book of knowledge (Bentley) you need to draw on for the different parts.

Based on what you're saying the 'core' engine is ALH but most of the ancillary stuff is all original AHU/1Z. I'm assuming then they have left the earlier electronics installed and simply adapted the engine to the older ECU etc.

You'd get the benefit of the ALH oil filter stand setup, which is decidedly easier than AHU/1Z but you'd also get the timing belt driven water pump, which I never thought was a good idea tbh. The cam driven vacuum pump is probably neither here nor there in terms of benefit, the older style was super reliable though.

Give an update when you've made a decision!

Steve

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
due to your location in the peoples republic of cali (assuming that info is up to date), you also need to know if it will pass emissions...

I havent lived there since 2010 so i dunno the current state of affairs at the DMV but they werent exactly helpful for anything except emptying out my wallet when i lived there...

I would think that this is kinda the best of both worlds, especially if the B4s body is in OK shape. I love the B4s, and i like the ALH, but i HATE HATE HATE the fact that there is a motor mount in the way of the timing belt on A4's... not an issue in this case.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
B4 should be good for KKKalif. Diesel smog starts with 1998s. You know, until some stooge figures out they can add $500 to the overall state budget by rolling the date back to 97.

a motor mount in the way of the timing belt on A4's... not an issue in this case.
Interesting. So the extra mount on the ALH goes unused, to no ill effect?

Last edited: