View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2017, 23:57   #5
nosmoketoday

TDI(s): MK6 Golf GTD
Fuel Economy: 3.7l/10km

Quote:
Originally Posted by philngrayce View Post
Pretty much what Lightflyer says. It seems that new diesels are far less tolerant of other fuels than the older ones.

I might add that, back in the day, many experts told us the same thing about our older (1990s to 2006) diesels. They would not run on the other fuels or they would not run long. As it turns out, the experts were mostly wrong. But I think they are probably right this time.

The two possible exceptions in your list are kerosene and heating oil. In many cases heating oil is just diesel with dye added to it. The main reason it is less expensive here in the US is that it is not taxed. I suspect the situation is similar in Norway? It is illegal here to use heating oil in your car, and the fines are pretty large.

It is true that some heating oil has much more sulpher than diesel. This might affect your engine; I donít know.

Kerosene, I suspect, would work fine if you add a lubricant (like diesel or VO, perhaps). Here it is generally more expensive than diesel, so there isnít really any point in taking the risk.
Both kerosene and heating oil contains dye in Norway. Earlier it was red like in Russia and now it has a blue/green color to it. However, kerosene is primarily sold on the same basis as heating oil but as a more refined and less polluting product. Still cheaper than diesel but I guess you might have heard about our extreme fuel prices here at the moment?

When I first started this thread I was hoping for some really crazy stories about engine failures and carbon build-ups etc. I completely agree with both you and Lightflyer1 that the best alternative is regular diesel from the gas station and you rarely know what other chemicals that are in other fuels. If for instance heating oil contains more sulfur than regular diesel then the H2S catalytic converter on my car will have a real struggle to keep up.

Today however I noticed something strange when I opened my filler cap to fill my tank. Inside the lid it said "no biodiesel" and as I mentioned in my first post, fuel companies like Statoil and Shell here in Norway are adding bio fuel to their regular diesel in percentages that varies between 5 to 15% depending on location. Should people with the latest TDI's invest in high quality diesel which is pure diesel made from petroleum or should we call VW to ask if the warning is applicable to 5 - 15% biodiesel added?
nosmoketoday is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06539 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.35 Kb. compressed to 15.82 Kb. by saving 1.53 Kb. (8.84%)]