View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2017, 10:15   #3
philngrayce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/43/49 ('02 Jetta 5 sp)

Pretty much what Lightflyer says. It seems that new diesels are far less tolerant of other fuels than the older ones.

I might add that, back in the day, many experts told us the same thing about our older (1990s to 2006) diesels. They would not run on the other fuels or they would not run long. As it turns out, the experts were mostly wrong. But I think they are probably right this time.

The two possible exceptions in your list are kerosene and heating oil. In many cases heating oil is just diesel with dye added to it. The main reason it is less expensive here in the US is that it is not taxed. I suspect the situation is similar in Norway? It is illegal here to use heating oil in your car, and the fines are pretty large.

It is true that some heating oil has much more sulpher than diesel. This might affect your engine; I don’t know.

Kerosene, I suspect, would work fine if you add a lubricant (like diesel or VO, perhaps). Here it is generally more expensive than diesel, so there isn’t really any point in taking the risk.

Last edited by philngrayce; December 12th, 2017 at 20:34.
philngrayce is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04540 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.33 Kb. compressed to 13.72 Kb. by saving 1.61 Kb. (10.51%)]