How to make an AHF go faster!

Edd209

TDI
Mk3 Golf TDI
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum, so go easy haha.

I've just started reconditioning an AHF engine and would like to know what to put on the shopping list to get 200bhp out of it.

Thanks

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
GTD1752VRK turbo, .280 nozzles, 3 bar MAP sensor, re-map, (optional) cam.

Edd209

TDI
Mk3 Golf TDI
Thanks for the reply!

GTD1752VRK looks lush but it's abit out of my price range. I was thinking along the lines of hybridising a pd130 turbo, would that be any good?

As for the cam, can recommend one?

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Go for the gt1749vb from 150 pd turbo .280 nozzles im selling new ones
And dont forget a upgrade sachs clutch to hold the nm.
And a good fmic. 3 bar map and good tune

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I would always choose a newer generation turbo where possible. GTD > GTC > GTB > GTA > GT. For excellent spool, GTC1549VZ (very cheap in the UK); else GTB1752V (found in the 174 HP R5 TDI.

IMO going to a GTx20V frame size sacrifices more low-rev response than I'd personally like but will become necessary past say 230 HP.

For the cam, I'm biased toward NPS's, else Dbilas 240/250, keep it mild if you're not doing any head porting. Can't speak for Newman and Piper but some like them and they are both in the UK. If you have more fabrication/customisation skills than money, you could adapt a petrol 2.0 Mk3 ABA (048 109 101D) or 050 109 101 A cam.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210553

Edit: @mk1-83: If you're selling more than your private holdings, you need to register as a vendor.

Last edited:

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
I had an AFN engine VP110 with GTB1752VL from Renault Master 2.5 dCi with 0.280 DSSr nozzles and 11mm pump and it was already a really interesting little beast on the road

Edd209

TDI
Mk3 Golf TDI
Hi guys, thanks for the info!

So - I picked up a GTB1752V for a good price and was thinking it'll need a custom manifold, is that right?
Also went for Darkside Developments cams and lifters, and have a set of .280 nozzles on order.

A couple more questions, if I may..

a) I'm going to keep the mk4 golf gearbox that came with the engine, any recommendations for an uprated clutch?
b) Do waste gates and/or dump valves work on TDIs?

Thanks for all your input, really appreciate it.

Edd209

TDI
Mk3 Golf TDI
Also - which models have 11mm fuel pumps and are they plug and play? Or do I need to change other bits to get one in and working?

Thanks

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
Hi guys, thanks for the info!
So - I picked up a GTB1752V for a good price and was thinking it'll need a custom manifold, is that right?
Also went for Darkside Developments cams and lifters, and have a set of .280 nozzles on order.
A couple more questions, if I may..
a) I'm going to keep the mk4 golf gearbox that came with the engine, any recommendations for an uprated clutch?
b) Do waste gates and/or dump valves work on TDIs?
Thanks for all your input, really appreciate it.
you wanting to keep dmf or go smf mate and no dump valves are best left on petrols darkside sell all you need if on budget when you get mapped dont have it to aggressive and keep torque to 3oolbs max you should be ok on stock clutch .. it is the 6 speed box with 240mm clutch right?

Edd209

TDI
Mk3 Golf TDI
Hey GMO, cheers for your reply.

Plan is to keep the mk4 gearbox and put it in with a Vr clutch.
What do mean by dmf or smf?
Planning to get a custom rolling road map so I can get a good balance between power and economy.

Know any about headbolts? I've read that they need uprating if the power goes past 150hp?

DkZ

TDI
Scirocco 2.0tdi 197bhp ( 140 stock )
Hey GMO, cheers for your reply.
Plan is to keep the mk4 gearbox and put it in with a Vr clutch.
What do mean by dmf or smf?
Planning to get a custom rolling road map so I can get a good balance between power and economy.
Know any about headbolts? I've read that they need uprating if the power goes past 150hp?
For your knowledge:

DMF: dual mass flywheel
SMF: single mass flywheel

:):)