Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Last edited:

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Hello all, I'm finally back from the holiday and ready to tear into my new passat I got. I have a few questions though.

Should I have the BHW rehoned or do I just use it as is?
Should I get stronger rods or are stock adequate?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Rods are good for 250-300hp AFAIK-not sure if that's crank or wheel. Have the machine shop check the bores for roundness. BTW, rings for a BHW aren't cheap, dealer are $200 a hole, had to have Total Seal make me a set.

From an earlier post-

@FraggyTDI, if you sell your 11mm pump, you'd be already well on the way towards buying one of the Passats listed with the BHW engine. Put in suitable injector nozzles, GTB2060VLKR or GTD2060VZ turbo and a remap and you can be at 250 HP without any engine internal upgrades!!

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Rods are good for 250-300hp AFAIK-not sure if that's crank or wheel. Have the machine shop check the bores for roundness. BTW, rings for a BHW aren't cheap, dealer are $200 a hole, had to have Total Seal make me a set.

From an earlier post-
IDparts has BHW rings $24 a set. So I'm thinking it might be worth getting the cylinders rehoned. However this engine only has 120k miles on it.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would leave it alone. Build it to Dave's build spec and revisit the need for more power later (and the subsequent beefing up of the shortblock). I think you'll be more than satisfied with 250hp...especially if you're just commuting with it.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I would leave it alone. Build it to Dave's build spec and revisit the need for more power later (and the subsequent beefing up of the shortblock). I think you'll be more than satisfied with 250hp...especially if you're just commuting with it.
I think I will be plenty pleased as well.

Leave it alone! Don't try to fix what ain't broke!
Haha good point. I'll just do the balance shaft delete and call it good. Also saves me money.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
IDparts has BHW rings $24 a set. So I'm thinking it might be worth getting the cylinders rehoned. However this engine only has 120k miles on it.
You sure about that? I checked his site and nothing. If I missed that, damn it. :mad:

Edit, I was right, sort of, lol.

Inidivudual piston ring set for the 2.0L piston (81mm diameter) used in the BHW, CBEA and CJAA engines.

These are special order and come from Germany. Lead time is usually around 2 months.

Last edited:

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
BHW is out of the passsat with the harness tagged out. I've stripped off all the accessories and I'm doing some cleaning on it now.

Question for today is, how well will the passat harness plug into the golf harness as far as the chassis harness goes? I'm swapping over the ECU with the engine so I figured the whole harness should come.

Also do I take the time to remove the un-needed electrical parts like auto related plugs and egr.

Or how much of the golf engine harness would work?

I'm terrible when it comes to harness layouts and have yet to find a decent schematic to allow me to pin out things.

Thanks in advance!

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Made some good progress last night on the engine. Got the BSM removed, had to fab up a custom crank holding tool. Worked great! Best tool I ever bought was a welder. Also got the block primed and began painting. Disregard extremely messy garage

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Last night I made some good progress with some mock ups using ALH parts. I started with the BSM delete. However I believe I'm the first one to actually do a BSM delete in a BHW that going back into a VW. So it's slightly different then what other have done and in fact easier.

Everything is plug and play no modifications needed. Only thing I did was use the Dowels from the BHW as the pockets on the block are deeper then the ALH.

As for the tensioner it just bolts into place nothing out of the ordinary.

I have the new BRM sprocket and chain coming and a new tensioner. I still need to seal the BSM feed port. Otherwise things are looking good!

Next I fit up the ALH engine mount pendulum bracket. Fits perfect!

Now onto new TDI territory. I'm finding that no one has really gone down the path of swapping a BHW into a different VW. There's a lot of franken motors ALH/BHW combos BEW/BHW. But none where you keep the BHW how it is in the passat including the harness and ECU. So this brings me to the accessory bracket. I can't use the BHW because it's a dual serpentine and puts things where they wont fit. Also lines would need to be modified in the golf to match. Could use a BEW bracket but I would need to buy one and lines would for A/C and steering may need to be modified. However I have a ALH bracket laying around so why not try it. Well....It doesn't fit in stock form. Commence cutting!

After removal of the fuel pump section of the bracket it mounts up perfectly and also keeps all my accessories in stock locations so no line modifications! Also I like the it keeps everything a little lower and compact leaving the engine more open up top.

Still need to clean up my hack job and give it a good painting but I'm happy with it.
Next I start pining out the electrical on the golf and passat engine harness.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Great work charting new territory! Will be a sweet car when done!

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Well, found some issues that I mostly expected but was really hoping wouldn't be there last night.

Cam, followers and cam bearings all worn. Glad I checked now instead of waiting till later. But like I said, I mostly expected it.

On another note, I'm struggling to find a decent 02j EGR coded trans. The one I purchased has some issues that I'm digging through but when I factor in cost of repair it's really not worth it. So I've been looking down other alleys of possibilities. I've come across an EGT which I know is a gasser trans however when I look at the ratios the first 3 gears are identical then the 4th is slightly taller, but not enough that I would notice and then the 5th is slightly taller as well. Also the ring and pinion is larger.
However what I'm thinking is can I swap the ring and pinion in the EGT with a Wavetrack for the tdi? Then I'm assuming I can swap the 5th gear with the EGR trans 5th gear. Not sure if this is possible but I would like to think it is. The reason for thinking this is I found a very low mileage EGT for $150.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Little update, this weekend I got most of the engine buttoned up with a new camshaft. Also Cleaned the accessory bracket and painted it along with the oil pan. New water pump and thermastat are installed. Last thing left is to get the oil pump sprocket removed from the ALH crank and installed on the BHW crank. Then the BSM delete will be complete.

Also after hours of pulling my hair out with the harness I decided to opt out to a professional at Fast Forward Automotive. They will be combining my two harnesses to make it a plug and play harness for the BHW in the golf. They will also be deleting out unneeded items and remapping my ecu. In my opinion this will make for a much cleaner install and future trouble shooting much easier.

Currently I'm working on sourcing a GTB2060 VKLR and 3" exhaust system. At this time I've held off on injectors until later down the road once all the little bugs are worked out.

My current list of items needed
Flywheel (G60)
Clutch (SB stage 3)
transmission (source from pick and pull)
engine mounts (BFI stage 1)
intercooler (Darkside kit)
exhaust (Profdiesel)
Turbo(AVD turbo)

Chassis items:
New carpet
swap in passat seats
change out ignition switch

Last edited:

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Made some progress on swapping the interior last night. I got the passat rear interior mocked up. The bottom seat is finished now I need to start fabbing up mounts for the backs.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
UPDATE!
Well I've started ordering the major components for my build.
BFI Engine mounts
SB Stage 3 Clutch
G60 22lb flywheel
GTB2060VKLR Turbo

Harness is also complete with Malone tune thanks to Fast Forward Automotive. Highly recommend these guys if you want a stock looking harness for your swap. They were extremely fast turnaround!

Ok onto the engine, since I'm putting the BHW into a transverse setup I needed some different accessories and such to get everything to fit. Now I had 2 choices purchase BEW parts and bolt those onto the BHW or find a way to swap the ALH parts onto the BHW. Well I had an ALH laying around so I figured why not use free parts. Below are the items I swapped over and modified to work with the engine.

At first I tried to swap the ALH Crank timing cog onto the engine but I quickly found that the ALH is about 5mm shorter then the BHW cog. This causes the timing belt to stick out over the cog so that was a no go. However I needed to use the ALH Crank pulley for the accessories but when mounted it pushes out 5mm further then it would on the ALH. To solve this problem I resorted to a 5V micro v belt instead of the stock 6V. This allow the belt to be in the furthest on the crank pulley and out the furthest on the acceries pulley.

As for the accessory bracket I was able to bolt the ALH bracket onto the BHW after removing the mounting for the fuel pump.

In the above picture you can also see that I used the ALH coolant pipe. I was able to make some minor modification to the mounting which allowed it to bolt up almost perfectly.

While waiting for my parts to show up I decided to start working on tucking my harness. I'm also am relocating the battery to the trunk of the car.

Last picture STAGE 3 CLUTCH!

Also dog tax

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
Really nice!!

As you already know, the exhaust housing of vklr turbo is a bit.. unusual... The bolt pattern is twisted to the side, and because of that it's difficult to fit it easily to a tdi engine. Some guys cut the housing an weld it onto a 1.9 tdi manifold (beware of weld crack), some other guys prefer machine a gtb2260VK housing to fit a VKLR chra, then they use a regular GTB turbo kit and it fits perfectly without welding job, but costs a bit more.
What way will you go ?

Your dog is so cute haha

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Really nice!!

As you already know, the exhaust housing of vklr turbo is a bit.. unusual... The bolt pattern is twisted to the side, and because of that it's difficult to fit it easily to a tdi engine. Some guys cut the housing an weld it onto a 1.9 tdi manifold (beware of weld crack), some other guys prefer machine a gtb2260VK housing to fit a VKLR chra, then they use a regular GTB turbo kit and it fits perfectly without welding job, but costs a bit more.
What way will you go ?

Your dog is so cute haha
Well im purchasing it with the 1.9 manifold already welded on. If/when it cracks I'll investigate the 2260 series method but for now it will have to do.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Awesome build and great work! Also, bonus style points for sitting at the cool kids' table by running the grinder without the safety guard on it.
I prefer to wear my safety (face shield, gloves). But I do find myself wondering if there was only a way to divert these Sparks somewhere else :D

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Everything is on order to finish this build. I almost feel like I should setup a shipping dock for UPS as they will probably be there everyday over these next two weeks.