EGR block off plate

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
An EGT probe is a probe that is installed in the exhaust gasses to monitor exhaust temps. Usually people have this if they have their cars modded to watch that they don't over temp their turbos.

You would want the first one you listed.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Will the block off plate cause a fault code?
Most likely yes as the EGR lowers the MAF reading as it introduces exhaust gases after the MAF. Of course a tune can eliminate the fault code. I have RC4 and the block off plate + EGT as I am tuned up to 150 hp.

fatbuck1911

TDI
98 jettta,97 passat,99 jetta
when i install the block off plate what should i do with the vacuum line that goes to the egr

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
will an ALH intake manifold fit on an AHU
....except that the intake opening is turned the wrong way. You can purchase a PD130 or 150 intake that will turn in the correct direction.

Stick a screw in the vac line. Better yet, do so just a few inches from the N18 valve.

Better yet? Leave the EGR functioning. With today's ULSD fuel, you may never have to clean it again.

Last edited:

fatbuck1911

TDI
can i take the line off and leave that valve open? and i don't like the fact that exhaust is going into my engine even if the fuel is clean.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just disconnecting the vacuum line and plugging it will accomplish the same thing. Leave the cooler connected to help your car warm faster in winter.

fatbuck1911

TDI
well i figured it was dead cuz no one responded to my last post....i got those block off plates. im just confused what to do with that vacuum line. i know he said to shove a screw in it but what about the nozzle on the egr that it connects to could i just leave that open and call it a day?

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
yup :) most pics i seen here (including mine) is just let go. you are done with just blocking with plates and shoving a screw :)

fatbuck1911

TDI
AFTER HOURS of blood sweat and tears and rage and going to auto zone to buy a stripped bolt removal kit and later on using a dremmel tool and cutting the whole pipe off i am finally done but not my car does this funny whisteling sound at 2200 rpms

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Stupid question......you did put a gasket under the blank off plates....right?

jstocks91

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Quick question about using these block off plates:
I need to quickly clean my EGR/Intake Manifold this weekend and was going to simply install a block off plate (sandwiched by gaskets) in the location shown below, and re install everything (EGR cooler, coolant lines, etc.) for a stock appearance. Beyond my EGR cooler probably becoming filled with carbon deposits, are there any negative consequences to doing this?

Great community by the way! This is my first post after years of lurking.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
are there any negative consequences to doing this?
Well aside from the legality issues there are a couple of things to consider. The car wont warm up as quickly, so on shorter trips it will probably reduce your mpg. It will also bring up a CEL for restricted flow so you will have to have that fixed by an ecu chip mod. I wouldn't think you would get a build up of carbon in your egr cooler since there will no longer be any gas moving through the tube.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Sorry to dig up an old thread but can someone please explain to me how EGT readings via thermocouple plumbed in to the High Pressure exhaust manifold-side block off plate would not be good, hot, accurate temperatures? See image below:

I'm really trying to avoid all the time involved with removing the turbo and replacing gaskets just to tap the manifold itself and the block off plate is a common location used on trucks. Any feed back, especially personal experience tapping the block off plate is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
It will not give you the "real" exhaust temperature if the probe is stuck in the EGR exhaust port. Been there and done that!

The EGT temp reading will be 500f degrees below actual in the high numbers.. I never saw a reading above 550F. With the probe located in the right spot, I've seen readings above 1000f.

Below, (looking from top side), you can see I had the EGR exhaust port cut-off and welded shut. That's where I initially had the EGT probe installed. You can see the new location of the probe, up and to the right of the welded-up EGR exhaust port.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
The EGT temp reading will be 500f degrees below actual in the high numbers.. I never saw a reading above 550F. With the probe located in the right spot, I've seen readings above 1000f.
Ok, hold on a minute. My current bung location is post-turbo, about 12" away in the new down pipe and I hit 800F with that! The location I'm talking about is the high pressure EGR block off plate that is is bolted right into the exhaust manifold, pre-turbo. I have a hard time believing that I would never see a value above 550F when I'm seeing 800 12" post turbo. Also, JFETTIG just got back to me with a PM and he thinks it will work but the probe is going to have to be short. If I haven't already clarified this is for a 2011 2.0 CR140.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, after I did the post, I saw that you had a 2011 ........

Actually, I guess in a way, it sort of doesn't matter where you put the EGT probe as long as you learn (and remember) the temp readings under various circumstances.

But, moving my EGT probe out of the EGR exhaust port and locating it above the Turbo, revealed a huge difference in temp readings.

EDIT: By the way, for all you lurkers, etc., see that down pipe gasket there on the turbo in the photos above, well, yeah, I re-used it! That was over a year ago (about 15k miles or more). It doesn't leak at all!:D

Last edited:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, after I did the post, I saw that you had a 2011 ........
Yeah, and I hope I didn't come off as a jerk. I'm just trying to understand if this will work well enough for a 2.0L CR140 application. Its gottabe WAAAaaay better than where I have it now, post-turbo 12" back in the down pipe. Also, Les @ GDM was saying they've determined that the stock thermocouple in the manifold is not rated high enough for the temps it sees at that location and that is why they relocate that stock thermocouple back further on the CR170 Stage 3 builds. Apparently they got some equipment and did side-by-side testing in the manifold. Stock thermocouple would read 930C, meanwhile the aftermarket thermocouple good for up to 2500F was reading 750C peak right next to the stock one. Anyway, my point is that he was telling me not to believe how high the readings are coming from my ECU (I've seen as high 1,550F on WOT 0-80mph).

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope! No jerk perception!

Last summer, pulling the popup camper to Alaska and back with my ALH Vanagon, I saw temps above 1000f maybe three or four times! Cruising at 70 mph on the flat, the temps stayed below 750f .... mostly in the 600s, depending on head wind, slight inclines, tailing a semi-truck, etc.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dude.... ALH Vanagon!! I'm seething with jealousy right now :mad:.
Yeah, I got a lot of negatives about my ambitions to pull a PopUp camper to Alaska ...... almost 11k miles in 33 days!:D

This was my 8th trip to Alaska since 1986 driving a Vanagon.

Here are a couple of links for you to slobber over:)

Alaska road trip first ... If in a hurry, scroll to the end and see the stats!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=417129

Below is a link to the project...... over 1280 posts with lots of pics.. It will take a very long time to just scroll through it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
With the probe located in the right spot, I've seen readings above 1000f.
Took it out for another wine country thrashing on Saturday and managed to exceed 1000F. Once again this is located about 12" Post-turbo lol! Looks like we'll be trying HP-EGR port next week after I make a new blockoff plate threaded for the thermocouple.