2005 VW GOLF TDi won't start

AJ1

TDI
Vw golf
Hi all, I'm a newbie on here so please excuse me if this question has been asked before.
I have had some medical problems recently and disappeared for a short period. I left my car to be collected by family but instead the police retrieved it by smashing the passenger window. This didn't cause any problems as my family went and drove my car back without any issues and parked it up at my daughters. She said the alarm kept going off so just kept the car unlocked. I went to collect it 5wks later and it was dead as a dodo. We have tried jump starting it, even changed the alternator and have done all of the suggestions on here of holding battery leads together, using both keys, holding left and right etc. All the dash and lights etc are working but there is absolutely nothing from the engine on turning the key, we can though hear a quiet rapid ticking noise. We don't believe it is the alarm or immobiliser as these lights are not staying on on the dash. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am totally housebound without my car.
Many thanks
AJ

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So you are saying it won't CRANK over. Manual or auto trans?

Immobilzer is not the problem because that only invokes to keep your engine from running. You don't even have that yet.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
In my experience you can't jump start a diesel with a completely dead battery immediately, you have to connect the jumper cables and run the other vehicle at a high idle for 10-15 minutes before trying to start. Use heavy duty jumper cables.

The fact you have dash lights working but only a ticking sound when turning the key to start suggests this may be the issue.

Simon

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I would put a battery charger on it for a few hours......... in my experience booster cables are not all they're cracked up to be.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check the short thick copper wire on the starter, they have been known to go bad and when you try to start the car everything lights up and sounds as normal, but nothing happens when you turn the key past glow.

Also as has already been said a weak battery is possible to.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
If no battery charger just remove battry and take it to the parts store to have it tested and charged. Maybe it's a US thing free testing and charging.

AJ1

TDI
Vw golf
Thanks all, no it won't crank over and have had heavy duty cables from a diesel smax for 20mins and more, just dash lights and all other lights etc

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Any chance rodents have established a new civilization under your bonnet, using your wiring to construct homes, parliament buildings, factories, cafés, and so on?