Should i buy new 2015 golf TDI or should i wait for buybacks?

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Hi folks, Need a suggestion.I am thinking to buy 2015 Golf TDI (brand new but 2015 stock) with $5000 off from the stcker price with 0% financing for 5 years.
But another though coming to my mind is to wait and get a used buyback from VW?Does it make sense?Would buying a used buyback be a better deal/choice than buying a 2015 new (old stock)?Would market be flooded by used buybacks?Please help me to decide.Thanks

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
you would get a better deal on the new one vs used if you still can get what you want, but if I were you Id use 0% for 6 years

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
you would get a better deal on the new one vs used if you still can get what you want, but if I were you Id use 0% for 6 years
Thanks for the reply!.
In Canada ,(I think) VW offered only 5 year 0% financing for TDI.

Regarding buying used buybacks,don't you think they are going to be plenty of them in the market?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
If you want the car and will miss not having one then buy a new one now.
If you can't decide, then try your luck at a used one later.

luckydpt

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual (Previous: 3 ALH's )
If you can find one you like buy it now! (especially if you don't mind DSG)
I am super happy with mine but I know the day I took delivery there were something like 20-30 calls about it. (I think I had one of the last with 3 pedals in PA)
Just keep searching

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At least from posted prices on Cars.com, it doesn't look like the used ones are any cheaper than the new ones. I would opt for a new one, if you can find what you want, and get the bumper to bumper warranty.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I get the impression that the dealers will carefully select a few of the "cherries" out of the mix. The very low mileage and in demand cars (like perhaps fully loaded manuals) but they won't want a mega surge or want to be holding a big inventory of these cars. The rare super low mileage TDI.....not what most buy them for!

Dealer costs will be incurred for getting cars sale ready. Detailing, inspecting, perhaps tires, etc. How much input and effort do they want to put into a soon 3 year old car (even if the recent sale of 2015s prompted inquiries and high interest) when semi loads of 2018s are likely rolling in in the near future?

There will be a fine line for the consumer on buying used vs. new and paying very little more $$.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!!

Does anybody know someone who recently bought the used buyback from the dealer?Just to get an idea of the price?I called different dealers and nobody is giving any clue about the price.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
My dealer called me today, they have a white GSW SE 6M, with 60xx miles, asking price is 26991. He said they'llbe happy to work on that number. Also CPO , which gives 2 yr/24k like warranty after original expires in a year or so. Best they could do was 1.9% for 60 months.
The new one is a better bet if financing,
For anyone looking for a stick, these used ones may be the only option.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
My understanding is that the dealers are being provided with inventory lists, form which they can bid, submitting bids on the available buy back cars & VWNA is slowly releasing the buy backs so as not to flood the market & hurt their value. Essentially, the dealers are buying the cars and will control the selling price. From the couple salesmen I spoke to, the dealers & VW were surprised by the demand for the new 15's (especially the manuals), understand that there will not be any new incoming VW diesels in the foreseeable future and are likely to be holding on their, the dealer set, prices. So, do not be surprised if you see wide disparity in the prices of the buy back cars.

As others have suggested, if you have found a new 15 that suits your desires, buy it. Remember: He who hesitates loses (misquote from CATO)

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
& VWNA is slowly releasing the buy backs so as not to flood the market & hurt their value. Essentially, the dealers are buying the cars and will control the selling price.
I agree with you 100%
I have finalized the deal on new 2015 golf trendline(base model).

vee-uu

TDI
('99 Cabrio), '06 Golf HB 5MT, '15 GSW 6MT
I was surprised the new 6MTs became scarce so quickly, at least here on the west coast. Dealers were even marking them up. So after feeling I missed out, I jumped on an immaculate CPO that appeared on the lot. I suspect demand will be high for used 6MTs.

GSW SE 6MT, 32k mi, $21k plus TTL.

Last edited:

kimxyz

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Used 2015 TDI

I purchased 2015 Golf Sportwagen S with 17K miles for $20K. I will use the buy back program for my 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. I wan't able to get the color I wanted (white), but I am happy to have a replacement TDI. It feels good to have a "new car" and still have my disel wagen. WIth 15K for the 2010 I figure I got a great deal for the 2015

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I purchased 2015 Golf Sportwagen S with 17K miles for $20K. I will use the buy back program for my 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. I wan't able to get the color I wanted (white), but I am happy to have a replacement TDI. It feels good to have a "new car" and still have my disel wagen. WIth 15K for the 2010 I figure I got a great deal for the 2015
you could have gotten the new one for less than 21k

JDM Mike 02

TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Jetta GLS
Dealership I bought my '15 Golf SE from for 28k (23k after rebate) new had a used '15 Golf SE with over 20k miles for 24k. It was a no brainer to get the new Golf with the 5k rebate and 0% for 6 years.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Does anyone else think the asking prices for the bought back '15s are crazy high? A dealer in NH has an GSW S manual for $19,400. And it has 40K miles on it. That's way more than I paid for my "new" '15 GSW.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree. When the used ones started showing up on cars.com, i was surprised at the prices. VW must want to make every cent back they gave away in the buyback.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I agree. When the used ones started showing up on cars.com, i was surprised at the prices. VW must want to make every cent back they gave away in the buyback.
My understanding is that VW is auctioning the buybacks to the dealers & the dealers are establishing the prices. As previously titled cars & the other variables on milage, market area, condition, etc., it makes sense.

+1 on IBW's comment.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
i just picked up a 15 GSW SE 6MT w/ 36K miles are for $22k

It was the color I wanted and is in great shape, I was happy to pay what I did. The chances of a "new" 15 showing up were slim to none in the configuration that I wanted and as a bonus, this car was at the dealer 3 miles from my house. no hassle of running around

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...while i am nuts about my JSW TDI 6M - at 49,XXX miles:

* the HPFP issue

* ditto DPF

* the buyback $$$ amount

* the 3/36,000 and 5/6000

are screaming at me "GSW 1.8 5M" (maybe a 2018 - - - or even a 2019)

ez

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
...while i am nuts about my JSW TDI 6M - at 49,XXX miles:

* the HPFP issue

* ditto DPF

* the buyback $$$ amount

* the 3/36,000 and 5/6000

are screaming at me "GSW 1.8 5M" (maybe a 2018 - - - or even a 2019)

ez
The 2018's will be TDI?

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
hmm, not for me. I have a 14 6M Mazda 3 hatch and really miss the torque.

I'm a wholesaler, and have a 2015 black on tan 6M Sportwagen TDI, hardtop :) with 5k miles and extended VW factory warranty. In like new condition. I know it has backup camera, unsure of other options. I was thinking of keeping it but if I can get close to 25k for it I'd consider selling. I'll be driving it from Boston to Charlotte NC next week if anyone is intrested please PM ME

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
you could have gotten the new one for less than 21k
Not in my neck of the woods (Chicago), and I assume also not in his area. Here they initially wanted over $25K (discount and taxes included) for a 2015 GSW S model with DSG. My dealer eventually came down to $24k, but that seemed (and still seems) ridiculous to me, given that the 2 year residual value on that car is below $12k (according to VW Leasing).

jharty

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Put a downpayment on a 2015 Golf S TDI 6MT with 41k miles, ~18300 out the door.

VW Certified, 2/24 b2b, with the 11 year emissions/engine.

There is some cosmetic issues (scratched mirror housings and gouge in rear fender. Also a dent in the passenger side under the door, seems like a plastic runner.) they are cleaning/resolving those before I get it.

I am told that the First fix was done (software), but a second fix (physical exhaust) will be done next year.

My questions would be for anyone who can answer them: at 41k miles, driven in the time it was originally sold to today, what kind of service items should I be aware of, and going forward what should I look for in the near term. (I am currently in a 2002 Jetta TDI purchased new, had very few issues for the driving style I had, 79k miles)

Note: my first impressions of the golf upon getting in, it seems a bit more 'snug' than my old jetta, seats are a skootch narrower. I almost felt claustrophobic and I'm 5'8".

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
It should have just had it's 4th oil change and I believe the fuel filter is every 20k so it should have had it's second one of those. (I'm at 36k so will be due soon). This is assuming all other maintenance like checking suspension, rotating tires, check brakes, etc.