View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2017, 01:42   #18
gmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
Almost all compressor wheels i used in the hybrid turbos I have made were slower to respond compared with cast wheels on OEM turbos. I have seen many claims that compressor wheels are stronger than cast wheels but invariably every turbo I have rebuilt was made with a larger compressor wheel so itís bound to perform differently. Exception was a gtb2260vk to which I fitted a titanium compressor wheel of almos the same dimensions (60mm) but with larger trim and 10 blades instead of the usual 6+6. It made boost ok although it was a lot slower to make boost in the low range and it surged badly in the 70-80 Mph/2500-3000 rpms range and the drivetrain did not liked it one bit ! It was also much noisier than a similar stock gtb2260vk on boost ! If OEM turbo comes with billet wheel then by all means use it, if it doesnít then leave the cast wheel in there- it does just fine !

"I have seen many claims that compressor wheels are stronger than cast wheels but invariably every turbo I have rebuilt was made with a larger compressor wheel so itís bound to perform differently .. so how can you compare cast to billet?

EFR, GTX, even new GTD have billet. its lighter and stronger. if the turbo dosnt perform better with billet then the turbo has not been set up proper after the rebuild.. every tuner and turbo builder in uk will tell you billet over cast every time. billet is far stronger that cast..just look at what billet parts are used over cast in performance builds.. billet blocks , heads , flywheel cranks . all far stronger easier to ballance and often a good bit lighter.

i put a 11 blade billet in my vb hybrid and it made a massive difference in spool time. it was savage lol . far better than heavy brittle cast unit.

cast works fine . but billet it better..imo.. lets just agree to disagree on this one mate, i didn come here to argue.
gmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06726 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.17 Kb. compressed to 14.70 Kb. by saving 1.47 Kb. (9.10%)]