View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2017, 01:20   #17
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner33 View Post
The downside about billet wheels is that while they can be made to out perform a cast wheel at peak power, but they're typically slower to respond. A billet wheel is almost always heavier than a cast wheel of the same size.
Almost all compressor wheels i used in the hybrid turbos I have made were slower to respond compared with cast wheels on OEM turbos. I have seen many claims that compressor wheels are stronger than cast wheels but invariably every turbo I have rebuilt was made with a larger compressor wheel so itís bound to perform differently. Exception was a gtb2260vk to which I fitted a titanium compressor wheel of almos the same dimensions (60mm) but with larger trim and 10 blades instead of the usual 6+6. It made boost ok although it was a lot slower to make boost in the low range and it surged badly in the 70-80 Mph/2500-3000 rpms range and the drivetrain did not liked it one bit ! It was also much noisier than a similar stock gtb2260vk on boost ! If OEM turbo comes with billet wheel then by all means use it, if it doesnít then leave the cast wheel in there- it does just fine !
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06497 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.70 Kb. compressed to 14.23 Kb. by saving 1.47 Kb. (9.35%)]