Trace on ecm from tune

jctdi00

TDI
03 Jetta TDI GLS
I have a Malone stage 1.5 tune and the flashzilla. I was wondering if anyone knows if any trace is left on the ecm after you put the stock tune back on. California recently changed the software for the smog in hopes of catching if you have had your car tuned. I have an 01 Cummins that used to have a box tuner that plugged into my map and data link connector and despite not having issues at the last inspection, it just failed due to presence of tampering in the ecm. Should I be fine with the Jetta since it is a flash rather than a box tuner

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The flash counter changes unless you decide to set it to zero. You'll be fine since this is a proper ECU flash.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
FYI, there is no flash counter on a 2003

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Charlie, If someone buys a tune from you and then buys their upgraded hardware from you too, do you charge them for ECU updates?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
kind of off topic, but since you asked:

Always free tune upgrades to support parts sales. or even just because you want something else. Not really into upselling on added cost "features." If you want something, just ask. You may get some pushback if it's silly like "hardcut blah blah" but it will be an honest opinion because there's no incentive to upsell for being "custom".

But I kind of have a hard time subsidizing competitors with free labor.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Whoops, I assumed PD since stage 1.5 (speaking of which, PP764 and vnt17 on stage 1.5? how's the bottom end response? feel free to send off a boost log). Yes you're fine either way, same applies for commonrails, revert back to stock if it's an issue, keep in mind you'll want to drive it to reset readiness monitors and can test those with vcds.

Last edited:

jctdi00

TDI
03 Jetta TDI GLS
The bottom end is pretty decent. I'm happy with it. It really takes off close to 3k rpm and up. I've had no issues with clutch slippage. A regear would help out some overall since I have the power on tap, but I got 47.5 mpg recently all freeway doing at least 80. I'd really like to do a .681 regear but its discontinued. A .7 is not much of a drop for me to convince myself to buy the gears and the taller gear might hurt me on the grade when I move. It would be cool to get the turbo to sing like the vnt15 without a muffler, but the vnt17 is quiet. I'm definitely happy overall with the car though

TDIMK4GUY

TDI
02 reflex silver golf
Sorry to piggy back on this post but it's the closest I've found to my situation. I'm currently getting my 02 tdi golf worked on in Portland and am getting a stage one Malone tune to go along with my vnt17 and 11mm pump. The shop also said a EGR delete is accomplished with the tune if I understood correctly. My car is currently registered in a no smog county in California but my concern is will I have problems passing smog with the stage one tune and the EGR delete if I ever changed the registration address and have to smog it in the future? Thanks and again sorry for hyjacking the thread.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Sorry to piggy back on this post but it's the closest I've found to my situation. I'm currently getting my 02 tdi golf worked on in Portland and am getting a stage one Malone tune to go along with my vnt17 and 11mm pump. The shop also said a EGR delete is accomplished with the tune if I understood correctly. My car is currently registered in a no smog county in California but my concern is will I have problems passing smog with the stage one tune and the EGR delete if I ever changed the registration address and have to smog it in the future? Thanks and again sorry for hyjacking the thread.
You're best bet is to keep the vehicle regestered in the "no smog" county. If you change to a Modesto address, when they send you a renewal with emissions check required at the top, you will not pass with the EGR physically removed. Most techs will not notice an VNT-17 or 11mm pump.

Bottom line is you must pass ECM readiness and visual inspection.