Advice needed on how to get my 12 JSW TDI rolling again

Somename

TDI
2012 JSW
I finally got a letter to schedule an appointment for buyback, but of course my JSW won't start.
Back in December actually, while I was driving, the car lost power out of blue and refused to go over 1500 rpm. I towed it home and I figured I'll just tow it to the dealer when the time to turn in came since the car would still start fine and moved albeit at 15mph max.
Fast forward to last week when I finally got notice to schedule an appointment, and the car cranks and struggles to start but no love. From what I gathered, it could be clogged turbo or vacuum line? It got all scheduled services, so I don't think fuel filter. I'm looking for any suggestions to get it started and to move a bit to turn the car in. Thank you for any advice.

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
Start with a VCDS Scan, see what caused the original issue. Where in IL are you located at?

05GLX4MoWgn

TDI
2017 GSW SEL; 2011 JSW TDI
Try jumping it? (For us ignorant slobs who have managed to live without a VCDS)
That's how I got my "totally dead" tdi running. Hooked up a jump box, and just kept it up until it started. Was not pretty, now runs ok. I should not have let it sit for 3 months.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Bad fuel? Add cetane boost and try priming the fuel system with VCDS.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
not going over 15mph or 1500RPM, sounds like limp mode, but no mention of and lights on the dash. Until codes are read only thing you can hope is trying to jump it without frying the starter.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I'm guessing you have a water/ice logged intercooler, take off the belly pan, pull the passenger side intercooler hose and melt/ mop out any water ice or sludge, your no start no warning light indication is exactly what my wife was experiencing. I would refrain from trying to start it until you verify that the intake is clear.

Somename

TDI
2012 JSW
Thanks for the suggestions. There's was no check engine light so not sure if it's limp mode. The battery and the starter seem okay. Can the intercooler stay clogged even while above freezing? I'll take a look once I rule out bad fuel. Does it require fuel pump priming with bad fuel? I don't really have access to VCDS, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy one now? Can I just try adding some fresh diesel? Thank you for all the help.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If it was still running you could run it off of a cliff. Turbos don't clog because they only pass air.

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
The intercooler can be full of water, best case it causes enough restriction to keep you from starting, worst case you suck up a slug of water and hydrolock your engine, I'd seriously pop off that hose and drain the thing.