Failed water pump, 200 miles past warranty

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So we had *just* had our 60K done at the dealership about a week ago when my wife calls me and says that the coolant warning came on.
I took the car down and they took one look at it and said that the water pump was failing. I knew that my extended warranty ended at 60k but I figured since that the DMV withheld my tags for three months because of the whole emissions thing, then there was the whole Diesel thing.... I kinda figured it would have been a nice gesture to throw me a bone (or a water pump in this case...) but they told me to take a hike.

Now I know I'm out of warranty, and that's life but I also know that they fix things out of warranty all the time, it just sucks that they wouldn't do it for me.

Im really bummed because I love this car but more and more it's looking like my first VW is going to be my last VW.

That buyback is starting to look pretty sweet though.

galoot

TDI
'13 Passat TDI
my water pump started leaking months back and just recently the DSG seal blew. Everything was fixed under the powertrain warranty. I only have 10k miles left to spare. I'm with you and the buyback. Can't come soon enough.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
My water pump started to leak at about 85K miles, it is leaking bad enough at 87K miles that it takes about 40 miles to go from full to when the low coolant warning light comes on. I have already bought a replacement car and the Passat is going to be parked until the buyback happens. With a 40 mile range with the leak, it is going to be fun getting it to the dealer, nearest one is 70 miles away and I am not spending the money to fix it before then.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My water pump started to leak at about 85K miles, it is leaking bad enough at 87K miles that it takes about 40 miles to go from full to when the low coolant warning light comes on. I have already bought a replacement car and the Passat is going to be parked until the buyback happens. With a 40 mile range with the leak, it is going to be fun getting it to the dealer, nearest one is 70 miles away and I am not spending the money to fix it before then.
Buy 1 quart of coolant, stop at the 30 mile mark, refill coolant reservoir.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
In your shoes, I would ride along with a tow (using Auto Club) to near the dealership and then drive it in. I wonder if the buyback program will also require a pre-turn-in inspection...?

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Well just got back from the dealer. They told me to take a hike as well. Paid for an hour of labor to assess the issue and drove it home.

The service guy was actually really cool and you could tell that he wanted to help me out but...boss says what the boss says.

Im taking it to a local shop that will knock it out for about 2/3 what the dealership quoted.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
In your shoes, I would ride along with a tow (using Auto Club) to near the dealership and then drive it in. I wonder if the buyback program will also require a pre-turn-in inspection...?
Heck, use your goodwill roadside assistance to get it towed in :)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
has to come in under its own power :)

RichmondKYtdi

Good grief, 2 things, 1. the dealers and their service departments are crap (although you could get it done with the free 500 bucks they have given everyone) 2. Take car to a real mechanic and replace the water pump, for less than the cost of one car payment you are off and running again...

I would have never driven almost a million miles in VW TDI's if i had to rely on the dealers. They have always been the lowest per mile cost car to run and i have compared with many other sales reps who put on mega miles...

jlh1960

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
So we had *just* had our 60K done at the dealership about a week ago when my wife calls me and says that the coolant warning came on.
I took the car down and they took one look at it and said that the water pump was failing. I knew that my extended warranty ended at 60k but I figured since that the DMV withheld my tags for three months because of the whole emissions thing, then there was the whole Diesel thing.... I kinda figured it would have been a nice gesture to throw me a bone (or a water pump in this case...) but they told me to take a hike.

Now I know I'm out of warranty, and that's life but I also know that they fix things out of warranty all the time, it just sucks that they wouldn't do it for me.

Im really bummed because I love this car but more and more it's looking like my first VW is going to be my last VW.

That buyback is starting to look pretty sweet though.
I'm with you. I brought my 2013 Passat TDI in for a coolant leak this morning and it was diagnosed as a leaking water pump. Fortunately, it's under warranty (after $140 diagnosis charge), as there are only 51,800 miles and 3 1/2 years on it!
I've already had the AdBlue heater issue, which was also covered under warranty, and then there are the handful of recalls it's already been in for.
I can't wait to sell it back to VW and go back to driving one of my Toyotas that have 170,000 miles (original water pump) and 227,000 miles (second).

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
most Toyotas go a half million miles before needing anything major, my friends 4runner was at 512K when it blew a head gasket and the honeing cross hatches were still visible in the cylinders- he currently drives a chevy Colorado that's at 300k with zero issues other than a blower motor controller

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Water pumps being driven by the timing belt are under a lot more stress than a Toyota for instance.

The logic is sound, as long as you have a timing belt, the engine will continue to run in order to get you to a safe location in the event of a serpentine belt failure and sufficient battery to keep the electronics powered.

The water pump repair is not that bad and can be done with about 2-3 hours of labor IF you take your time.

The water pump historically has always been the weak link in all previous generations of TDI's with timing belt driven water pumps. This is why they must be replaced with each belt service.

What fails in the pump is the mechanical seal, once they start leaking, they will never stop. If allowed to leak long enough the coolant migrTes into the bearings and seizes the pump destroying your engine, this is not something to take lightly and must be repaired immediately.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
The water pump historically has always been the weak link in all previous generations of TDI's with timing belt driven water pumps. This is why they must be replaced with each belt service.
It just sucks when timing belt change is scheduled for 120K miles and pumps are failing at 60K-80K miles.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT
Anecdotal, of course, but this confirms a fear I've had with this whole buyback thing looming. I think that a great majority of these "goodwill" fixes we've been seeing from VW for known issues or problems just outside of warranty are gone, gone, gone.

Why do a goodwill fix to get a car running again just so they can buy it back?

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
most Toyotas go a half million miles before needing anything major, my friends 4runner was at 512K when it blew a head gasket and the honeing cross hatches were still visible in the cylinders- he currently drives a chevy Colorado that's at 300k with zero issues other than a blower motor controller

I owned a 2001 Toyota Sienna that will prove you wrong and changed my attitude towards the brand even though I had owned two Celicas (77 and 81) in my years. One was good, other was a lemon. So, in my book, 2 of 3 bad from the same brand, bumps Toyota out of the running for something I would even consider. ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It just sucks when timing belt change is scheduled for 120K miles and pumps are failing at 60K-80K miles.

What about the dealers that don't replace the pump because its an "inspection only, replace if needed" during TB replacement job?

I did a double take when I heard the $700 price quote for a my TB job from the dealer, after few more questions I realized why its so low.

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
Just informed that my water pump is leaking all over the timing belt in my 2012 Passat TDI SEL @51k and the price to replace both is $1400. I have to say, I've never seen a vehicle fall apart as often as this car. I have totally lost all confidence in VW and will sell back to VW because the costs to maintain this car is out of site. I just put down close to $600 for NOS sensor a few months ago, replaced the rear shocks a year ago. Too costly of a car with far too many repairs. VW sucks the big one! Not a happy camper!!

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's not just VW, everything new is built cheaply. Parts probably sourced from China for a higher profit margin. That's why I buy old cars.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Just informed that my water pump is leaking all over the timing belt in my 2012 Passat TDI SEL @51k and the price to replace both is $1400. I have to say, I've never seen a vehicle fall apart as often as this car. I have totally lost all confidence in VW and will sell back to VW because the costs to maintain this car is out of site. I just put down close to $600 for NOS sensor a few months ago, replaced the rear shocks a year ago. Too costly of a car with far too many repairs. VW sucks the big one! Not a happy camper!!
Isn't your car still under the 60K warranty?

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
Isn't your car still under the 60K warranty?
Yes but the 5 years was up one month ago. The dealer couldn't do nothing for me because it's a TDI. He could have if it was TSI.
I called VW assistance line and they said there is nothing they can do.
Well F..k VW and same to the Passat - selling the car back and I will never buy another VW product, period. I have never owned a vehicle that required so many problems to be repaired.

VW SUCKS!!!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes but the 5 years was up one month ago. The dealer couldn't do nothing for me because it's a TDI. He could have if it was TSI.
Well F..k VW and same to the Passat - selling the car back and I will never buy another VW product, period. I have never owned a vehicle that required so many problems to be repaired.

VW SUCKS!!!
Sorry to hear you missed it by a month. Amazing they couldn't do anything for you. My Passat went back earlier this month, but with less miles on it.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat

VW SUCKS!!!
No offense but youve had the car for 5 years.... and so far (according to you) it has had a couple of shocks, a nox sensor, and now this. 3 thing over 5 years, 2 out of 3 minor. They are giving you more money back for those 5 years than any other car you could ever possibly owns... or you could go find guru, fix this for a lot less and keep driving. But your logic that vw sucks is looking kind of odd. If anything the dealership service dept sucks.... always have and always will, but thats true of a lot of makes i know of.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
So I think my water pump may be leaking as well. Can smell it, but not see it. STILL waiting to hear from VW for a "settlement" date. In the meantime, car has 88,000 miles ('13 bought in Sept '12) so I think I'm outta any warranty. I just keep adding it to the rez as I can get coolant from work. How long can I keep doing this? Don't want to spent $$$ to get fixed when it's going back to VW UNLESS it's covered under any warranty.

Am open to all suggestions. Dealer has our new car, but waiting for VW as we are applying $$$ from the settlement towards the new car. Options at this point?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
No offense but youve had the car for 5 years.... and so far (according to you) it has had a couple of shocks, a nox sensor, and now this. 3 thing over 5 years, 2 out of 3 minor. They are giving you more money back for those 5 years than any other car you could ever possibly owns... or you could go find guru, fix this for a lot less and keep driving. But your logic that vw sucks is looking kind of odd. If anything the dealership service dept sucks.... always have and always will, but thats true of a lot of makes i know of.
5 years is nothing! My 2001 civic is approaching 305K without one dime in extra repairs above standard annual maintained items and I drive it crazy hard, full throttle take off's dumping the clutch in second gear, hitting the rev limiter on every shift and yanking the hand brake power slideing into turns- OEM rear brake shoes and haven't even adjusted the valves or even thought about a fuel filter

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
5 years is nothing! My 2001 civic is approaching 305K without one dime in extra repairs above standard annual maintained items and I drive it crazy hard, full throttle take off's dumping the clutch in second gear, hitting the rev limiter on every shift and yanking the hand brake power slideing into turns- OEM rear brake shoes and haven't even adjusted the valves or even thought about a fuel filter
And my 01 and 03 VW were that way... And im still pretty sure my cost of ownership with the vw was lower. Between the better fuel mileage and 10,000 mile oil changes more than made up for the occasional fuel filter change.

But we are also discussing two different classes of car, the 13 passat is light years ahead of where vw (or honda) was a decade ago. The emissions issues isnt limited to diesels... there are just as many new components to fail on a new honda as a new vw.

My point was this guy doesnt just get on one thread to discuss how to fix a problem, he got on every thread that had anything to do with his problem and bit$% about it. I simply called him on it. He didnt have to spend 800 bucks for 2 new shocks, he didnt have to spend an arm and a leg for an 02 sensor. Those were choices he made to go to the dealer and get screwed... this website was created to counteract that.

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
All the problems I spoke of I had to pay for myself including the water pump that cost me $560 and all problems were over 10k and not covered under warranty. This is the most money I've spent on any vehicle with such low mileage. The entertainment/GPS/stereo/NAV is starting to act up too. It is one thing after another so I'm selling it back because quality is an issue with VW's and the Passat is on that list. Never again. VW and I will never get it on again!! I see thousands of dollars in repairs coming and no way will I spend another dime. From my understanding, at least 85% of the car affect is resulting in selling the vehicle back......numbers don't lie. It's just too bad the car is breaking down because there are many things I love regarding the vehicle. Handling, Fender stereo are the top two.
Not sure what I will buy to replace the Passat but you can bet it will be a high quality vehicle.
My best recommendation for anyone buying VW is to buy the extended warranty and SELL THE CAR just before warranty expires. Good luck to all and to all a good night!!

Last edited: