My 2003 New Beetle - BlueBoy

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
There really isn't any good reason not to run EGR on an ALH these days. Fuel is a lot better than it was back in the old clogged intake days.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am aware of that, thanks. The only drawback I have read of was slower warmup time which isn't an issue here for me. I may get it changed back to EGR later, I don't know. Got to start somewhere.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Added some new headlight units bought from user here parting out a Beetle. Almost new after market with very clear lenses. Went to examine the passenger side and found the stop limit broke off and the guide for the sliding locking track broken a bit (part of the rear stop limit). The locking track was out and misaligned due to the broken piece and the latch wouldn't latch closed again. The headlight wasn't latched in properly when I started so this must have been it. Once I put the track back in alignment the locking latch would now close smoothly as it is supposed to. I will replace these when I find a good pair, but these will work for now. Waiting to install the new headlight units until my new OSRAM night breakers get here in a few days. I might take the old units and do some Mini H1 Bi-xenon Projectors in my New Beetle like here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=326422

I was missing the ash tray in the rear console. Found out it could be a power point instead. ECS had it in stock so I got one only to find out the rear panel of the console where it fits had the mounting tabs and such broken out. Ordered one of those as well. Nearly $200 for both with shipping. Oh well.

I need to remove the passengers door panel as I forgot to connect the inside door latch cable or it broke. This weekend will be busy.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just ordered some Projectors and shrouds to start playing with the old headlight units. Some Bi-xenon Morimoto FX-R's and some MC-R (Mini Clubman replica) shrouds. Following in the footsteps of member here schwarze Käfer from the link above.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Full suspension refresh, 2" lift and DLC-520 injectors went in tonight. 4 wheel alignment tomorrow afternoon. OSRAM Nightbreakers came in so I will install those into the new headlight housings (high and low beams) and install those tomorrow as well. Got the passengers door latch reconnected yesterday. I need to figure out how to install the rear of the center console. I read it has to be done by removing the seats and disassembling the console. Dang!

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
If it were for sale you might correct. As a personal car for me... priceless!
I hear you loud and clear, a clean reliable efficient car is meant to be driven not sold. I've got as much in mine and I'll keep driving it as I could not buy anything to replace it at that price.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why are you here? Just to insult people? Some things have worth beyond monetary. My car isn't for sale, so you assigning a value to it means nothing. So it cost me $8k to make it new again. What problem is it for you? My goal was a very nice well running Beetle, which I achieved. I have already had offers over $5k which I turned down with the response it wasn't for sale at double that price.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Had the alignment done by Hewlett VW today and programmed my new key from AARodriguez. $99 for the alignment and $49 for the key immobilizer programming.

New front grill and fog lights installed.

Side view in the rain after lift.

Alignment before and after with 2" lift.

When new tires are needed I will probably go to larger diameter, higher sidewall tires. Michelin Defender 215/65R16 maybe. 24.9" diameter vs 27" diameter, and 1" less tread width and 66 fewer revs. Weight is 1 lb less.

Airbag fault showed up. Dealer said seat belt switch and cleared for me. Came back on on the ride home. Will have to scan and check it out myself. Seats need to come out anyway to disassemble the console for the rear ashtray/powerpoint and rear panel replacement.

Dealer and techs really liked my Beetle. Service adviser noticed the foggy headlights and wanted to sell me the polishing job. He wasn't surprised when I told him I already had new ones at home waiting to install when the rain quits. Morimoto projectors and shrouds came in as well. The old OEM will be reworked to fit them. FX-R's with MC-R shrouds. That will take a while.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
This thing is pretty! Nice work Lightflyer - unlike Crusty over there, there are many of us who also go above and beyond what might be considered reasonable to keep our TDIs looking good.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
Wow. Nice work Lightflyer. That Beetle is looking sharp. Robby did a 1 inch lift on my wagon today (not the reason I went by, but one thing led to another, and Lance and Robby put er together).

Hey, did you sell your old radio? My Beetle's radio has a bad display, and was wondering if your radio was still good, would you sell it to me? I could get the money to Robby's for the next time your Beetle is in there... Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Bosal hitch installed, ventectomy done, oil cooler seals replaced, clutch switch adjusted, drivers side seatbelt latch replaced. $279.02

Plus $45 for the rear brake tool. Plus $166 for all new Zimmerman rotors and $72.76 for drivers seat belt latch. Plus $46 for both headlamp latches. Plus $100 for new Akebono ceramic pads. Oh and $250 for a new 3 ton floor jack.

Last edited:

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
This is great and great to read through....minus the angry jealous guy.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
A student will easily pay $5k for the car. However, if it has automatic transmission, selling will be much easy and will fetch $7k, as lady drivers prefer such transmission. Overall, good job in restoring.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks! Most of the credit goes to my trusted mechanic Robby (runonbeer) and his employee Lance. Most of the interior and cosmetic work is mine. The heavy lifting is done by the trusted mechanics. If you need someone good working on your car give them a shot. They have done lots of excellent work for me on various TDI's I have owned since 2005.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Just because I'm curious, why the 2" lift rather than lowering? Are you planning to tow (heavy) with it often? The diesel I'm sure will be good for that. Great work so far!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you read you would know these are very low to the ground already and I am tired of hitting things and taking out the oil pan. No way would I lower it. I could have done a 1" lift but if I wasn't happy it would mean an expense to redo it all over again. 2" made the most sense for what I wanted. No worries any more on hitting anything and still have the panzer plate with full armor installed.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
When new tires are needed I will probably go to larger diameter, higher sidewall tires. Michelin Defender 215/65R16 maybe. 24.9" diameter vs 27" diameter, and 1" less tread width and 66 fewer revs. Weight is 1 lb less.
I'm not sure if your 215's will do this but I had some major contact between the inside of the tire and the lower spring perch on the front strut when I mounted the 225/60R16 on my little truck-car. Wound up spacing the wheel out with some 17mm ECS spacers.