Car starts then dies a few seconds later

Jtlawrence28

TDI
05 Volkswagon Jetta
Hello,
I need some help please. The other day I accidentally arced a ratchet extension against the alternator while I was changing the thermostat. Once I got finished replacing the thermostat I drove the car for about an hour then left it running for about another hour after that. The next day I started it and it died about 2 minutes later, and every time after that I start it and it dies a few seconds later. I light tested all of the fuses, and they are working. Everything else in the car seems normal.

I would appreciate any help I can get. I am really hoping I didn't screw up anything too serious.

Thanks

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Is there a little key symbol on the instrument cluster when you start the car?

If so, that would mean the immobilizer doesn't recognize the transponder chip in the key fob. When that happens, the car will start, and then stop a couple seconds later.

Looks like this:

Jtlawrence28

TDI
05 Volkswagon Jetta
No, that icon does not show up. I did forget to mention in the original message that the oil light comes on (blinking) and there is a beeping that comes with it.

I appreciate the response and any other help you can give me.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
An oil light after extended cranking is normal, if you get it with the motor running, different issue.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The line you shorted is protected by a big fuse on top of the battery box... was that one of the fuses you checked?

Failing that, measuring voltage at the battery post would be a good diagnostic... if the charging system was damaged the battery is probably discharged.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
REMOVE - TERMINAL from battery
this is literally a VW Meme
its seriously a big issue you must do when changing your wiper blades and dont even think about washing her with out removing the battery and covering all your electronic connections with ziplock freezer bags with zipties.

Jtlawrence28

TDI
05 Volkswagon Jetta
REMOVE - TERMINAL from battery
this is literally a VW Meme
its seriously a big issue you must do when changing your wiper blades and dont even think about washing her with out removing the battery and covering all your electronic connections with ziplock freezer bags with zipties.
I learned that the hard way. I hope I didn't screw the car up too bad