MN Chat Thread

PeterWerts

Intake and EGR Cleaning?

Hello Twin Cities folks,

I'm knew to this fix your own car thing, because your a broke college grad. Looking under the hood of this TDI reminds me of the first time I butcherd my animals, except I got to eat the sheep and chickens when I was done. The car on the other hand must be put back together.:confused:

So, I am looking for someone who could show me how to clean my Intake, EGR, and possibly change a strut mount. I'll do the wrenching and you supervise, don't even get a finger dirty, I have tools and will trade your knowledge for beer or one of my free range chickens, maple syrup from my sugar bush a down hill ski lesson, or whatever floats da boat eh!!. :D:D:D

I'll be in the Plymouth area starting Thanksgiving through march teaching ski lessons at Hyland Hills, that is the time frame I working with before I return to the Bayfield Wi orchards in the spring.

If any one would be interested in this trade you can pm me or reply a post

Peter

GRAMPS

TDI
1999 silver golf tdi
new guy in mn.

hi all! new here on this site and need some direction!need local advice on who can service my 99 golf tdi. i have owned it for about 3 wks now . it only gets 34 running around town,my neighbor gets 40 with his 99beetle, so ineed some one to ck. her over ,,timing and stuff like that..i live in the st cloud area,dealer is not much help.that is why i am here.need somebody in the area to stear me in the right direction..tnx denny!:confused:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Dealers pretty good, as I've said, I'm somewhat affilitated with them, but without a definite problem, you could just be throwing money at it. Read the TDI FAQ's to learn about all the possible problems with your car.

My guess is one of three or any combination of.

MAF, known problem with our cars.
Gunk up of intake, known problem with our cars
Snow Screen, another known problem, intake air gets clogged.

The usual problems that plague other cars, dragging brakes, tires not standard. I haven't seen if you have an auto or not, but that eats about 5 mpg.

Don't feel bad my truck gets 15 and I'm taking it up to split rock for the lighthouse lighting. One plus of the truck, with the cowcatcher on the front, I don't worry about deer.

Welcome, and if you see a Silver TDI wagon w/tint and GLI front lip, that would be me.

Last edited:

thekid

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 180k, 2006 Golf TDI 64k
Hello from a Newbie

I wish I would have found this club before I spent alot of $ at the dealer to fix a few problems on 2001 Jetta oh well never too late to learn. I am not very handy but I just replaced my glow plugs for the 1st time and need the CEL reset. Is anyone willing to help me out with a Vag Com? Another question I had was the VW man in Mpls said I needed to perform a decarbonization? Is this something I could do myself and how important is it? My TDI has 126k. i look forward to hearing from someone and would also like to make it to the GTG.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
thekid said:
Is anyone willing to help me out with a Vag Com?
You might be able to clear the failure codes with a regular ODB-2 reader ($50 or available to loan for free at any advance auto parts)

Another question I had was the VW man in Mpls said I needed to perform a decarbonization? Is this something I could do myself and how important is it?
Apparently due to the sh^^^y quality diesel fuel available in the US and the high exhaust gas return settings required, the intake manifold tends to build up a lot of soot and can eventually clog up. Cleaning it is a major mess and you can find a 'how-to' in the tdi101 section. So, yes, that might be necessary at some point.

What a lot of dealers sell as 'decarbonization' is simply to add some additive to the tank and charge you ungodly amounts of money for it.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
A little warning: shopping around for a tdi mechanic based on price will only get you in trouble. Lots of shops will say they can work on them, but few will do the job right.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
thekid said:
Another question I had was the VW man in Mpls said I needed to perform a decarbonization? Is this something I could do myself and how important is it? My TDI has 126k. i look forward to hearing from someone and would also like to make it to the GTG.
He could also mean you need to clean the injectors/nozzles and get rid of the carbon build up on them. If your intake turns out to be fine you may want to look into this at your mileage. There is a thread on this procedure using a product called Diesel Purge. I've tried to find a local source for it but ended up buying it from one of the club's part suppliers.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i have vag-com, but i'm up north in bemidji, not sure where you are.. at 126k if your intake hasn't been cleaned, i would definitely clean it. i personally would delete the whole EGR and EGR cooler at the same time...

thekid

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 180k, 2006 Golf TDI 64k
burpod said:
i have vag-com, but i'm up north in bemidji, not sure where you are.. at 126k if your intake hasn't been cleaned, i would definitely clean it. i personally would delete the whole EGR and EGR cooler at the same time...

I ended up getting the code reset at an Autozone but thanks for the offer. I will definetely look into cleaning the intake as it seems my TDI has lost some power. I appreciate the information.

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
Gtg

I'd be up for a GTG on Dec. 1st. I have ordered my skid plate, so that'd be on my list to do.

-socks

GRAMPS

TDI
1999 silver golf tdi
timing???

i am looking for a tdi member in or around my area including the twin cities to check my timing..just bought car and want to know where it is for starters. and do u need a vag-com for this?these tdi's r a little more complex than the cummins..my tdi is the only thing i have that is as slow as my garden tractor. needing someone to take me under their wing to show me the ins and outs of the tdi..cked MAF,snow screen, air filter,intake was done at 67000, now 125000 egr done then also. this all i know about the car.open for suggestions!

BurningBio

TDI
1998 Jetta
A good TDI mechanic in Minneapolis area?

Does anyone know of anyone who can put in a injection pump in my wife's 00 NB? I need help fast.

Thx,

Jon

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Gramps,

When was your timing belt last changed ?? The 1999 auto models came with one rated for 40,000 and I see you are at > 125,000. Newer replacement belts are rated for 100,000.

There is a whole slew of performance mods available.:D Where do you want to start and more importantly at what budget level ?

Last edited:

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
I have a Vag-Com, I'm located in Woodbury.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
where is this mystical GTG? i'd be up for it, not sure what i'd be doing if anything but hanging out...

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
Gtg

I have had a couple at my place in the shop. Currently I have 6 cars and a 7.3 Diesel engine and trans in the shop. I can move out 3 for a GTG. A fourth when I get the turbo back from being rebuilt.

With our lead Mechanic deafbug, who always dontates his time, out of commission we would have to go at it by ourselves.

My shop is availible and the heat is on, hoist should be open.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
That is funny, MNmiser. I was thinking the same thing. I made a new post explaining it. If you want me at the GTG to give advice or suggestions or how to do the next step in whatever you are working on. I am sure I am available but it all depends what work I need to do at the house. Priorities is something I have to manage but at the same time, I deserve a little break.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
All righty then...Dec 1st, 9am (?)

MNmiser: host
greengeeker
socks
steve-o
burpod
(please respond if you plan on attending)

I'll plan on doing my 120k service.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I'll come by and lend moral support, tell people how to put E codes in their A4's. GreenGeeker Whoops MNMiser that is, need me to bring over any food? I can't cook buy I can buy.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
99% sure i can make it. i'm ordering some new wheelz and will be going down to the cities this weekend.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
I should definately be up for it. I should have my car done within the week or two. I can volunteer my wrenching skills, I'll bring my tools. Plus I do work for a VW shop in Hudson WI (about 20 minutes from the twin cities) so if you need a decarb or injection pump installed just let me know.

bmclean

TDI
2000 Jetta
I am interested in attending just to meet everyone, but do not know where this is at. Also I am working Fri & Sat nights so will probably not stay long.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
First of all, MNmiser has to approve the date. I am sure he will. Second of all, I won't be there. I have to get my butt moving on the house. I can't waste any time on that. I need to seize the opportunty to get a head start.

MNmiser

TDI
'01 Jetta
This Sat. Dec 1st, is great. FYI, snow is expected. I wont have my turbo back for a car I have in the shop so I may need some help rolling that out and up to the house garage. 8:00am. bring what ever food. PM me for directions if you are over 80% sure you can make it. Should be a good time.
Dec. 8th works too.