Riverside, Ca to Seattle Wa. Stop over at TDIFest

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just got some good new regarding my vacation. I will be leaving Riverside, Ca at approx 7am friday the 3rd to go to Washington. That is exactly the same weekend as TDIFest.

Of course, that means I won't get to enjoy the Friday festivities, BUT I should be able to enjpoy most of saturday before I continue on about my trip.

I'm not new to Vw's, but new to TDI's and TDIFest.

Although, I have heard oregonians HATE californians with a passion. My aunts car was keyed in oregon when she was moving to Washington. I'm just worried about meeting the same fate.

Everytime I've made the drive through oregon, I have filled up the car (and drained myself) in Yreka and drove non stop. LOL.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
I just got some good new regarding my vacation. I will be leaving Riverside, Ca at approx 7am friday the 3rd to go to Washington. That is exactly the same weekend as TDIFest.

Of course, that means I won't get to enjoy the Friday festivities, BUT I should be able to enjpoy most of saturday before I continue on about my trip.

I'm not new to Vw's, but new to TDI's and TDIFest.

Although, I have heard oregonians HATE californians with a passion. My aunts car was keyed in oregon when she was moving to Washington. I'm just worried about meeting the same fate.

Everytime I've made the drive through oregon, I have filled up the car (and drained myself) in Yreka and drove non stop. LOL.
They don't hate all of us :eek:
Regardless if your a CA'ian, OR'ian, NE'er, MidWest'er, etc.... come to TDIFest anyway! We want to see you there, we all share something in common.... a love of our TDI's!! :D:cool:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I guess being surrounded by fellow TDI'ers will make my car safe. LOL.

I'll be dropping by for a short stopover early saturday to stretch my legs. I wish I could be there for the raffle. I'd love to win one of the Malone tunes.

But alas, I must be in washington late saturday.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
I guess being surrounded by fellow TDI'ers will make my car safe. LOL.

I'll be dropping by for a short stopover early saturday to stretch my legs. I wish I could be there for the raffle. I'd love to win one of the Malone tunes.

But alas, I must be in washington late saturday.
bummer! We're sorry you'll only be around for a little bit, but glad you can still make it. Check out the Drag Races on Saturday morning! Those will be awesome! ;)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Update #1.

Actually made my 4am alarm clock. That surprised me as I am NOT a morning person.

At preciaely 5 am I was on the road.

Here it is 8 am and I stopped for breakfast just past the backside of the Grapevine.

Highway patrol was watching the vine HARD. I saw atleast 5 cruisers in a 2 mile stretch.

If anyone cares, stay tuned. I will keep updating little by little.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Watch out north of Sacramento to the Oregon border, particularly around Woodlands and Redding. In Redding they like to sit on the elevated onramps and hit you with radar as you pass. And also use planes from there through Shasta.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Yes, HP's on Labor Day weekend have historically been out in FORCE.

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
The fest is happening right at the airport - there are always a ton of plates in the sheraton's parking lot, no need to fear the portlander's hatred - besides, the hippies love the TDI's

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Power. Thanks for the heads up on Redding.

I am cruising in the slow lane with cruise set at 69. So getting pulled over for speeding is low on my list of concerns.

Update #2. Williams, CA. 493 miles under the belt with 3/8 of a tank of fuel left. This will be my best tank ever. The mfd says I am averaging 48.8 MPG. 50 seems to be eluding me.

Lol.

And the desert residents seem to believe Congress has created a dust bowl. Not the heat or desert or anything.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Update 3.

Made it from Riverside to Redding in one tank. I am now part of the 600 club. Plus it only took 13 gallons. So I wasn't even Into the red yet.

I'm happy.

And now I am off again.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Final update for the night.

Arrived at the fest. 15 hours and over 1000 miles in one day.
Phew. I am beat.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Quick update for the night.

Unfortunately I didn't really get to see the fest kick off as I had to shove off. I did get to meet some fella TDI'ers though (Boraparts, GreaseCar, and of course Fred) and I got to buy a TDIClub plate frame.

I wish I could have had more time but since the fest was not my top priority (this time) I had precious little time to hang out.

Well, I made it to Seattle about 3 hours from leaving Portland. I was about empty just before reaching my destination and made it another 625 (or so) miles on a tank. I will update my Fuelly tomorrow.

Until Tuesday when I head over to Spokane, there will be no updates. I will be around incase someone has something to say of course.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Ok. What the heck. Some updates.

If you are in Seattle and really miss In-N-Out, You should get yourself some Dicks. It is the same good old fashioned style of cooking in the same environment.

But be forewarned, They don't have dine-"in" because they don't have tables. Once you order, you go back to your car and eat or go home.

But it is very good food.

Yesterday, we also hit up the Pyramid BrewHouse. Good times.

Then we hit the Redhook brewery and took the tour. Also very good times. You can't beat a $1 tour that gives you Five 2oz. drinks and you get to keep the glasses.

Without a doubt, the most disgusting thing about this trip is when we visited Pike Market. The Market is cool. We picked up some very good cheeses which I am enjoying now. The disgusting part is this:

Yes..... That is a wall covered in Bubble Gum. I guess it is now a landmark of Pike Market so they will not clean the wall.

Yuck.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Well, it's better than spitting it onto the sidewalk.

Sorry I missed you at the Fest, but thanks for the updates on what looks like a great trip. If you are still in Seattle, try Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown near the Space Needle. Great food and dangerous margaritas!