06 dsg jetta money pit is gone

YODAUSA

TDI
looking for older one now
Well my friends, I will miss you. I have enjoyed this forum and the friendships I have found since my 06 jetta purchase last May 09.
In my 69 years, I have never had a more undependable vehicle with so many many many faults. It is a terrible and sad thing that VW has done to the customers of this country.

I loved the mileage that the little Jetta gave me. However when you start to add up the cost of tranny fluid/filter changes, timeing belt maintenace along with the ever present problems with AC, CAM and especially the DSG, it is a never ending money pit.

I picked up the Jetta from the dealership at 11am this morning after the DMF repair at about 1:45 It was at the Buick dealership being traded for a LaCrosse. The dealership was aware of the DMF problems that are starting to become appearent with the DSG models - I am afraid that the value that was once a wonderful thing for the DTI is starting tO head south as more and more dealerships are becoming more aware of the DSG problems. My advice too those of you that don't have DEEP DEEP POCKETS,,,, JUMP SHIP, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!
I will miss this forum!!! I AM JUST REALLY SAD today, that the jetta just didn't stand up to the test. And I am sorry for those that are stuck with them and can't afford to get out from under them.

For everyone's info my jetta had 60,000 when the failure occurred, I fought with VW America since January armed with a Recall from Australia on some Golfs DMF they relented and did pay half of my costs..

SORRY B YE BYE

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't blame you. I should have stayed away from my 06 but I didn't have a lot of choices...Already spent over 200 on the dsg oil and engine oil change. Now I gotta spend money on a new flywheel. People think they are saving money because of the MPG but they will spend that money saved on fixing the damn thing.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Well my friends, I will miss you. I have enjoyed this forum and the friendships I have found since my 06 jetta purchase last May 09.
In my 69 years, I have never had a more undependable vehicle with so many many many faults. It is a terrible and sad thing that VW has done to the customers of this country.

I loved the mileage that the little Jetta gave me. However when you start to add up the cost of tranny fluid/filter changes, timeing belt maintenace along with the ever present problems with AC, CAM and especially the DSG, it is a never ending money pit.

I picked up the Jetta from the dealership at 11am this morning after the DMF repair at about 1:45 It was at the Buick dealership being traded for a LaCrosse. The dealership was aware of the DMF problems that are starting to become appearent with the DSG models - I am afraid that the value that was once a wonderful thing for the DTI is starting tO head south as more and more dealerships are becoming more aware of the DSG problems. My advice too those of you that don't have DEEP DEEP POCKETS,,,, JUMP SHIP, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!
I will miss this forum!!! I AM JUST REALLY SAD today, that the jetta just didn't stand up to the test. And I am sorry for those that are stuck with them and can't afford to get out from under them.

For everyone's info my jetta had 60,000 when the failure occurred, I fought with VW America since January armed with a Recall from Australia on some Golfs DMF they relented and did pay half of my costs..

SORRY B YE BYE
Too bad you bought a POS used car. Please keep that buick out of the left lane.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
And I am sorry for those that are stuck with them and can't afford to get out from under them.
I know what you mean....well not really, cause you could just wholesale it and buy a beat up Geo metro or a late 90's beige toyota to get you back and forth to work, then use the remaining money to pay the VW off, and still have "transportation." (i.e resist the urge to trade in the wife for the newer, better looking and more feature filled model, then expect to come out on top in the divorce.)

Heh, who am I kidding, I cant afford them and I just purchased my third early MkV after the last one was crushed.

Hope your Buick provides the many trouble free miles your old car couldn't give you.

-Jnitrofish
MkV for life.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
The LaCrosse is reputed to be a good and nice car. Did GM give you a nice warranty on it?

I tell ya, it's getting harder to pass on American cars nowadays, although I plan on driving my JSW into the ground over the next, say, fifteen years. Hopefully the JSW is on the same page with me. Sorry about your lousy experience and good luck with the Buick.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Too bad you bought a POS used car. Please keep that buick out of the left lane.
You got that poop right! So, so many people get caught buying TDIs based on price as opposed to buying via smarts. These TDIs are not for everyone but, by being an active member here or acquiring TDIs from trusted and knowledgeable sources can make the ownership experience what it should be in most cases or should I say, more palatable?;)

I see it everyday. Dealer's take cosmetically prime TDIs in trade and probably run them through their shop ie: wrong oil, overlooking DMF noise, lack of knowledge diagnosing possible cam wear, rad fan inop., EGR cooler hissing, and the list goes on. Many think these dealer's steal these trades when in actuality, they fricken need to. The problem is, they don't have the skills or knowledge to make the car right. To make the car right, the costs go up and therefore the price has to follow suit. It's quite simple really. "You Generally Only Get What You Pay For" (Some do pay big and still get porked, however) and it's not like this hasn't been preached to this venue for years now but, *** do I know, eh?:rolleyes: Later!

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

SORRY B YE BYE

Good luck with the new car. The warranties on the "big 3" vehicles are much better and hopefully their workmanship has improved as well (although, IMHO I don't think they can underwhelm me more so then they previously have).

I have said this before and I will say it again, the DSG is German for Fail. Why people opt for this POS tranny blows my mind, but to each their own. Again, good luck with the new car.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Interesting how when a person starts a thread about bailing from owning TDI because of HPFP concerns the thread get locked. But, when one posts about bailing because of DSG issues, it stays open.:confused:

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
I seem to recall a very long conversation with the good Mr. Yoda last year as we discussed DSG failures...and I completely understand why one may have trouble trusting a car with a long list of serious faults.

If you can keep them running they're a hoot :)

Hope the Buick is a pleasant and reliably experience!!
-Aaron

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Funny, I got flamed for calling my car a Money pit a few months ago.:cool:

All cars have issues, but it still kills me that a cam and a flywheel wears in a car from 2005.5 :confused:

"Drive more worry less" is a crappy theory....
It's kinda like, sit back and let it self destruct:p.

Last edited:

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I see the point on the DSG flywheel, mine was replaced at 66k miles at my expense. No cam shaft troubles , but I have not taken the cover off to look for excessive wear at 104k miles on the car.

Maintenance items like fluids , belts , filters do not seem excessive to me on this Jetta. Most folks that have a dealer perform basic maintenance either suck it up or complain on the cost

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG

I loved the mileage that the little Jetta gave me. However when you start to add up the cost of tranny fluid/filter changes, timeing belt maintenance along with the ever present problems with AC, CAM and especially the DSG, it is a never ending money pit.

SORRY B YE BYE
Sorry to hear of your problems but had you done your homework you would have never bought the thing in the first place............and.......if you had done your homework today you would know that both Road and Track and Car and Driver both conducted longterm tests on the new 2009 Jetta TDI and found it to be pretty much trouble free. Also Consumers Report rates the 2010 TDI a 'best buy' and gives it all red marks (black is bad, circles mean average and red mean above average). If you think maintenance is expensive on your TDI wait till you take the Buick in. First off VW gives you three years of free maintenance you won't get with the Buick. All of today's cars are expensive to repair and there is very little you can do yourself aside from changing out the oil and filters.

I'm lovin my DSG TDI.... :)

Perhaps the Buick is the best deal for you.....it's a nice car and no homework required. Good Luck...... :)

Last edited:

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
Sorry to hear of your problems but had you done your homework you would have never bought the thing in the first place............and.......if you had done your homework today you would know that both Road and Track and Car and Driver both conducted longterm tests on the new 2009 Jetta TDI and found it to be pretty much trouble free. Also Consumers Report rates the 2010 TDI a 'best buy' and gives it all red marks (black is bad, circles mean average and red mean above average). If you think maintenance is expensive on your TDI wait till you take the Buick in. First off VW gives you three years of free maintenance you won't get with the Buick. All of today's cars are expensive to repair and there is very little you can do yourself aside from changing out the oil and filters.

Perhaps the Buick is the best deal for you.....it's a nice car and no homework required. Good Luck...... :)

GTIDan, seriously? what good is it to the people having issues that some magazine gave the car high marks? so great, THEY GOT lucky, the rest of us got Monday cars, when VW was only opening on Mondays, :rolleyes:

And like many have pointed out before, The 3 free services are a joke and I would gladly pass on them, Is like playing Russian roulette with the mechanics.

Best of luck to you and may you never have issues. :D
To the OC, good luck to you too I feel your pain.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----

"if you had done your homework"..."it's a nice car and no homework required"... Anyone else find this funny?

How do you know there isn't any homework required until it's too late? :p

Wife told me yesterday that if I want another M3 I have to get rid of the TDI. Debating over whether or not I should post one of these threads or not :cool:

/tangent

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
abakos;3036669" said:
GTIDan will let us know I guess ;)

I would spare us the thread if you bail out, just slip away silently instead of rubbing it in for the sake of those left behind. :eek:

best of luck

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
"if you had done your homework"..."it's a nice car and no homework required"... Anyone else find this funny?

Wife told me yesterday that if I want another M3 I have to get rid of the TDI. Debating over whether or not I should post one of these threads or not :cool:

/tangent
Your taking what I said out of context.......kinda like Russ does on his radio show. It's the only way he can get his laugh..........like you than.

I find it amazing to find so many people here who seem to hate their car. If I was anywhere near as unhappy as some of you I would bail too and buy a Buick I guess.

I've owned four VWs to date and I'm the first to say VW has screwed up many times; IE the Rabbit made in PA...total junk. And yes, I did my homework before buying my TDI. If all the magazines and reviews I've read are all wrong (must be at least 20 or more I've read or watched on you-tube) than I've made a big mistake......we'll see

:)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

It might surprise you to know that I am glad I own 2006 models instead of the 2009 or 2010s.

Bill

Harvieux

TDI
It might surprise you to know that I am glad I own 2006 models instead of the 2009 or 2010s.

Bill
Man, You got that poop right!;) Not that I by any means wish this but, after the 09-10s laughable 3/36 and in some cases even before, you could replace the cam/lifters, DMF, EGR cooler, etc. twice on an 05.5-06.5 PD and still be ahead of the game as opposed to one HPFP snafu. Then there's the wonder of the expensive and sensative emissions components from the downpipe to the tail pipe which hasn't had tons of inclement weather exposure as of yet with the exception of a few flapper valves that may make one wonder/worry too but, *** do I know, eh? :rolleyes: Later!

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Hmm is that the same Consumer Reports that gave such high marks to the early 80's Ford Taurus?

Ask any tech at an independent shop about that car. After that I never read another recommendation in CR.

I go to http://www.iihs.org/ look at crash rating and hope for the best. It was a reason we bought the 05.5.

BTW how does a new motor get a red for reliability when it's only been out a year?

Last edited:

Harvieux

TDI
this is why I got the 100k b2b warranty
Fine and dandy but what if your dealer swears up and down you were guilty of fuel contamination like some here have already experienced? You can now take the contract you have for your warranty and use it for toilet paper, know whadda mean? :rolleyes: Later!

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm is that the same Consumer Reports that gave such high marks to the early 80 Ford Taurus?

Ask any tech at an independent shop about that car. After that I never read another recommendation in CR.

I go to http://www.iihs.org/ look at crash rating and hope for the best. It was a reason we bought the 05.5.

BTW how does a new motor get a red for reliability when it's only been out a year?
Asking the wrong person don't you think? :) Perhaps their giving some props to the 2009 engine since it's the same one. I don't know.

Either R/T or C/D put 45,000 on their 09 long term test. No problems if I recall.

I have to say I don't get all the negativisms going on this forum. I like my car. I hope it runs a long time. If not I'll deal with it when I need too.

Perhaps it's the forum itself. I own a 2006 IS250 Lexus.....supposely one of the most reliable cars ever made. To read the Lexus forum you would think it was 1985 Hyundai piece of junk. Are none of you able to be satisfied with anything? Just asking......OK? :)

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Drive more and worry less............Buick rates very high on JD Powers listing.. It should give you many years of driving plesure.........but not the mpg your diesel gave you. It's the price to pay to move on I guess...

Dan
:)