TSB 211106 Photos - Cold weather intercooler kit

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Finally got my Cold Weather Intercooler Kit (1K0198803B) installed. Thought I'd share a few photos of what the connections look like on my 2011 Jetta in case anyone is interested.

Air Cleaner Ventilation Hose Splice:

Vacuum Source Hose Splice:

Charge Air temperature switch:

Charge Air Pipe with Sensor:

Splice Hose Routing:
(There does not appear to be a vacuum overlay harness as inidicated in the TSB and the routing goes down along the side rather than over top...although it doesn't seem like this should matter)

Last edited:

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
Nice photos - your third picture is a charge air temperature sensor, not a pressure sensor. Thanks for posting! :)

Do you mind if I add your photos to the IC sticky in the MK 6 forum?

Last edited:

Organdonor

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan 6MT
How long did it take for your parts to come in? My dealer allegedly ordered the parts to do mine back on January 14th, and I haven't gotten a call yet.

PAJettaTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 Spd
Sure you can add the pictures to your post. Other than the sticky with pertinent information, that thread got insanely large, beyond the point of reading which is why I started a new thread specifically showing what that actual dealer installation of that kit looks like.

Time frame for me was at least 2 months from what I can remember. I'll check my paperwork tonight for the exact date when this first happened and the dealer checked it over and ordered the kit. I hear your frustration...had my car looked at by two different dealers, called Customer Care once and submitted an email ticket to them once, not that it did any good, but at least they knew I was dissatisfied waiting an undetermined amount of time, during the months when we really needed it fixed.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
only took me 3 weeks to get my kit ordered and installed....Still working great here

huntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JETTA TDI 5 speed,1978 PEUGEOT 504D 4 speed,1997 AUDI A4 Avent TDI 5 speed TDI(IN EUROPE)
clear me on this, so vw only cover this under warranty if the problem has occurred.
is that right? my car is still under warranty.

thanks,

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
Hope it works for you. Still waiting on mine.
Were you able to ask for one? Or is it still only addressed after you have an issue? I had some rough idling recently and I'm considering checking the ic hoses. Would vcds show anything?

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Were you able to ask for one? Or is it still only addressed after you have an issue? I had some rough idling recently and I'm considering checking the ic hoses. Would vcds show anything?
I made a big stink about it with my dealer back in January and just last week they finally installed it for me. All I can say is, if you are concerned, which you should be, be persistant with your dealer and explain to them you have had rough starts in cold weather and have done your research and know about the service bulletin cold weather IC kit and you need it. Not sure where you are in michigan but down south here i'm not sure if it has been cold enough for this to happen. The way it works is running the car in below freezing weather, the egr pumps exhaust gases into the intercooler, the humidity in those gases condense to form water and ice. The ice can block the air intake hose or what else could happen is that ice can melt when the temp rises above freezing usually during the heat of the day when your car is sitting in the parking lot at work. Then when you go to start your car, the engine will suck water out of the intercooler causing the pistons to hydro lock bending all kinds of expensive parts.

I dont believe the car keeps track of water in the intercooler so VCDS wont be able to help you on that one but if you think you might have water in there, drop the belly pan and remove the engine side IC hose to look for water.

There is a monster thread about this in a sticky on the golf section. Long read but lots of info. Check it out.

I was also considering getting dpf delete kit with an egr delete and a tune which would also solve the problem. Out of pocket cost is expensive but you also get a stage 2 malone tune. :D

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So who here with a brand new 2013 is going to be the first to have one of these installed?

pstroms

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG w/Premium
Not that it does not get cold here in the South - is it cold enough in Georgia to need to worry about this? Does this happen as soon as it gets below freezing or does this take a day or two? Obviously, I have not had any issues with this as we have not even come close to the temps you are talking about in this thread. However, winter is coming and we are known to get fairly cold with some snow/ice. Thanks for any input you can share.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
all depends on ambiant air temp and how long you drive, there's a certain "red zone" of operating the car where ice will build then thaw and cause an issue.

Dhide371

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I had my 12' replaced due to this problem happening 2 times in a row followed by a slew of other things. Should I be worried about my new 14' as well!?!? I'd so would a grill cover help the problem or no?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Yes , there is no change in the intercooler from the 12 to 14 models.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
little bit into winter so far...up and down temps which are perfect for causing this issue and stage 2 hasnt had any water..Another reason to smile when i hammer down lol

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Was wondering if there are some cars that already come with this kit installed?

My parents have a 2011 Jetta TDI & we live in Canada. Since we live up here would this kit automatically of came with the car from factory?

Thanks

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
I don't know, but I have a 2013 built in March 2013, and I had problems with the intercooler. I didn't have the hard starts, but there was condensation build up in it that mixed with the blowby oil / gasses to make the baby sh*t looking sludge and that kludged up my MAP sensor. I got a new one put on at the dealership and he claims this one sucks the air in at a higher point to prevent that from being sucked into the intake tract. It's working so far.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no cars have came with a fix and they dont just throw them on you need to ***** to get one...its a hidden issue until you pin them down on it

options2

TDI
2012 Jetta 6 speed
So I am curious, if you are out of warranty...how much is the cost out of pocket? I am at 40k miles now, should I just try to push for it at the dealer?

I don't care if I haven't had this issue or not, I don't want to wait until it becomes one, as this seems like a design flaw and engine failure is a scary thought.

Last edited:

millerman61

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav, DSG. Bought back on 12/23/16
TSB for the IC will only be done if you have had the icing issue. I think the whole job would have cost me around $1700 if I wasn't under warranty still.

Rekognize

TDI
Golf MK6
Sorry for bumping and old thread but I've recently purchased an MK6 TDI fitted with this recall kit 1K0198803B.

A leak has developed in one of the pipes going to the throttle body. Does anyone have the part #? ECS couldn't help me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
Total cost of part $608.08. Total if installed $1300.00. Cheaper to drill a hole so hzo can escape.

Alcohol

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I got a kit put on mine yesterday at dealer free of charge,,,when I bought my car used they gave me an extended 100,000 mile warranty with it,,good deal huh?