HELP! $900 Repair After 2009 TDI Modification Fix

Richdaddye

TDI
2009 Jettawagon TDI
Is this covered under the warranty?
My car ran really smooth prior to the modification but after I had it done (it took 3 days) the motor seemed to really shake when it idles. Much more so when it's first started and cold for the day. I figured the new modification made the motor run different and something like that was expected till my wife, who NEVER notices car noise like I do, came out into the garage as I was pulling out and asked me, "What's wrong with your car?" I knew I should have it checked out.
So I took it back to find out what's wrong. They told me the flywheel is "worn" and needs to be replaced. The thing was it ran really smooth before the modification and I thought the modification came with a Powertrain warranty which should cover something like this right? I can't seem to find the paper detailing the warranty included with the new modification. Any ideas where to go?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What transmission? I don't think the flywheel or anything else in the drive line is covered by the emissions warranty. I would get it scanned for codes and a second opinion. Another dealer or better yet a trusted mechanic if one is close to you. There is a list here.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There is no powertrain warranty with the modification. There's an emissions warranty, and an engine long block warranty. The flywheel might possibly be covered under the latter, though I'd kind of doubt it.

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
Sorry, but you're kind of screwed. The dual mass flywheels are a common problem, my 04' cost $1,800 to have it replaced. And then the replacement failed the next month. And then that replacement still made noises the day I picked it up.

Eliminator SS

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
The dsg has been retuned and if it's not covered under the warranty implied under the fix then I would think it could easily be argued. But if you have the manual car then I think you're screwed.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
This is among the reasons I chose to sell back my 09 Jetta. The rest of the car is nine model years old.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DMFs are common. May be coincidence, may be that some other attribute of the engine software change makes the issue more pronounced, not sure.

If they say it is $900 to fix, they must be giving you a break on the price, because a DMF replacement would cost more than that.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
How many miles do you have on the car? Mine is also making a lot of noise after the fix. My mechanic told me its the flywheel and its going to cost $1750 CDN. He also said he just did one on another TDI that had the emissinos fix.

I'm at 326,800 kms (203,064 miles) I had a hard enough time getting them to agree to do the DPF under the warranty. I highly doubt they'll do this.

I'll bring it up with them when they book me in for the DPF.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DMF are wear items, it's not a matter of if its a matter of when. Seeing the extended warranty literature doesn't spell it out, you're on your own.

What's next complaining your rotors and wiper blades should be covered too?

I'd take it to an independent shop for a second opinion, $900 is way too cheap for a DMF.

dorothyl

TDI
09 jetta tdi
I have Jetta TDI (2009) and am waiting for the "fix'

My question is: How did you get a fix when they keep telling me there isn't one for my car yet. Although I don't think I'm looking forward to it. But I only have 60,000 m on my car.
Thank you.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My question is: How did you get a fix when they keep telling me there isn't one for my car yet. Although I don't think I'm looking forward to it. But I only have 60,000 m on my car.
Thank you.
If the car in your signature is the car you are talking about ...

"Legally" - There IS a fix for your car. (Who is telling you that there isn't) But, if your car happens to be a DSG (automatic), it is the one potentially subject to being "bricked", in which case, the dealer or VW may be aware of this and wants to defer fixing your car until this situation gets sorted out (IMO this is totally reasonable).