Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
This is a great thread as it got me started. I applied voltage to the fan plugs directly. The two outside plugs turned both fans.
During my A/C check with the engine off neither fan ran. i'm gonna do more tests tomorrow. Does the fan controller do the high speed? I got continuity on the two outside wires and the center wire is OPEN on both fan plugs.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If I recall correctly, that means your low speed resistor wiring has failed... yep, that is right.

FAST speed fans can only be powered by the FCM, even the radiator thermoswitch just sends a signal to the FCM for fast speed fans, but it turns on the slow speed fans directly.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I was thinking something was wrong with that. I wonder how long the poor thing has been that way. From all my reading on this thread, the fan failures will not "hold out" the A/C compressor clutch, correct?. This all started with my A/C not working (I have fault codes on the brakes and air bags as well. this happened all of a sudden). Anyway.... I powered the clutch up with 12 volts and it pulled in. The compressor low side pressure pulled down to 70psi at idle. I've never added refrigerant to the system (2006 Beetle)

So I need to get two new fan motors. Is this a good replacement part ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Cooling-Fan-For-98-2006-Volkswagen-Beetle-/231074811506?fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3ABeetle%7CSubmodel%3ATDI&hash=item35cd21ce72:g:SRAAAOSw32lYqnub&vxp=mtr

Is there a place where I can get ohm values on components like the A/C pressure switch and other items I need to check ? I want to determine if the individual parts have failed or if it is the wiring or controller... . Thanks for the quick response.

Last edited:

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I was thinking something was wrong with that. I wonder how long the poor thing has been that way. From all my reading on this thread, the fan failures will not "hold out" the A/C compressor clutch, correct?. This all started with my A/C not working (I have fault codes on the brakes and air bags as well. this happened all of a sudden). Anyway.... I powered the clutch up with 12 volts and it pulled in. The compressor low side pressure pulled down to 70psi at idle. I've never added refrigerant to the system (2006 Beetle)

So I need to get two new fan motors. Is this a good replacement part ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Cooling-Fan-For-98-2006-Volkswagen-Beetle-/231074811506?fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3ABeetle%7CSubmodel%3ATDI&hash=item35cd21ce72:g:SRAAAOSw32lYqnub&vxp=mtr

Is there a place where I can get ohm values on components like the A/C pressure switch and other items I need to check ? I want to determine if the individual parts have failed or if it is the wiring or controller... . Thanks for the quick response.

I would recommend changing the fans and see how the system works. If it's been a while doing this check under your ac compressor for oil. Mine was leaking from a shaft seal because the pressures were spiking.

The way I knew mine were going is you can tell when idling if the alternator loads up on a high speed fan start. Don't. Elieve the system was designed with a high speed hard start in mind.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks I saw some individual fans recommended in this thread from RM European. $55 each roughly. I am also wondering if I should replace the fan control while I am at it? I don't know how to test the unit so for $30.... time saver for me.

Question.... is it possible to replace the fans with the shroud in place? What is the easiest way? Pull the shroud?? I am looking for least amount of parts removed. I don't mind a little extra pain and cussin... I'll proabably do that anyway. LOL

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Thanks I saw some individual fans recommended in this thread from RM European. $55 each roughly. I am also wondering if I should replace the fan control while I am at it? I don't know how to test the unit so for $30.... time saver for me.

Question.... is it possible to replace the fans with the shroud in place? What is the easiest way? Pull the shroud?? I am looking for least amount of parts removed. I don't mind a little extra pain and cussin... I'll proabably do that anyway. LOL

Pull the fans off the shroud and put the new ones on. So much easier. Fan controller I wouldn't mess with. No personal experience with the rmeuro fans. Experience with many others tho and they will die again. Not an if. Ut a when. I have vdo fans from orilleys so it's a lifetime warranty. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time it may be worth going that route. Just make sure if you do get them from there it's the vdo box with there private label and not some random old stock.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Sky King,
The compressor should still engage with the fans unplugged.
You need to do the AC troubleshooting in the proper PDF linked in post #1. I also know of no way to test an FCM, and can only rule out all the other issues.
With the compressor jumped (or engaged normally), the low side should pull down to 25 to 35 psi, when at 2000 rpm.
Many of the $30 FCMs are no good out of the box, based on the posts, emails, and PMs I get.

Check your ambient temperature switch resistance and wiring, as a start.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Dan. I am pretty good at A/C but this car sure has a lot of hold outs associated. I was thinking the compressor suction valves were bad since I jumped it out but I that was just at idle but still it should be nearer to the optimum value. i'm not a 134A guy but it is the same principles, I just don't know the pressures. :) Used to be with 12 that 29 psi was the kick out point for the compressor. I'd also like to know how to test, using and OHM meter, if the high pressure switch is good. Something is holding out the A/C. Would the fan control hold out the A/C ? i plan on doing some checks tomorrow. funny thing as I mentioned... all this stuff happened around the same time with the A/C being the driving factor. I got lights on the brakes and airbags. I need a good schematic... better than my VW Bentley manual. I can't find any of the stuff you recommend in my manual. i musta purchased a LEMON manual. LOL

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
On a side note, I read that certain pins on the FCM can be tested to insure the module is supplying voltage to the fans. They even mentioned Pin numbers. I did purchase a $30 FCM but only as a precaution. I get tired of waiting 4 days to move to the next step in the process. I still have yet to check ALL the fuses on the side of the dash. I plan on checking the splice under the battery tray. I am learning way to much about electronics and it ain't easy. Been working on Jet skis for the last 2 months..... yikes !!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Have you read the AC troubleshooting pdf linked in post #1?
VW calls it a high pressure switch, but the G65 sensor is really a pressure sensor that puts out a PWM signal (duty cycle) signal. You need a duty cycle meter to test it, an ohm meter will not do it.
There is no substitute for doing the readings and checking the fuses in the PDF linked in post #1.
I wish there was an easier way, but not that I know of.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand Dan. I actually got around to doing some checks. I found the #5 fuse blown. (7.5 amp) so thanks for the heads up. Your thread saved my butt with the fans. :) What would cause the #5 fuse to blow?? Will that hold out my A/C clutch?

I am having a few issues finding the components to test. I have a 2006 New Beetle TDI which I have owned since new. I know my way around the car but electronic component testing is not more forte and the hide these parts in weird places. :) I muddle through.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 2006 Beetle TDI which is the best way to access the fan plugs and associated wiring. From UNDER the car?? I have the battery and battery plate removed at present and am struggling to reach the wires to test them. When the new fans come in and I replace them will it be easier to work from the bottom of the car?? Hopefully, I plug all this stuff in and it works. Ha ha.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Sky King,
If fuse 5 is blown, your AC will not function, after all that is why it is on the troubleshooting guide.
On most cars you can better access the FCM wiring from below. I am not sure on the NB, but it is probably the same.

I would replace the fuse and see if it blew again. Look in your Bentley and you will see that it feeds some brake components, as well as the AC system.

If the fuse blows again, then I would troubleshoot the circuits.

For the fans, you will have to work from both the bottom and the top. Again the NB is tighter than most.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I didn't want to pollute this thread with all my other issues. I have codes from everywhere. I have the dash apart, battery removed, new fans ordered.... :) The A/C was the least of my concerns so I just got around to checking the fuses. I don't like that the fuse blew at all but... I will investigate further. I just want to be comfortable when I reassemble that I have sufficiently looked at root causes. You have a great thread here Dan and many of us appreciate the time you take to respond.
Question... my radiator temp reads open on all the wires and no contact with any to ground. Is that normal. Temp outside was 85 degrees and the car had not run in a few days so... I am confident the radiator was about ambient temp.
What makes the 7.5 amp fuse blow ? 2006. Could it just have been an electrical surge or something. Perhaps the A/C clutch is going out. Yes yes... I will check the ohm reading. LOL I'm just snowed under with all this. I will laugh at myself if this was the main issue... da fuse. Ha ha. I hope that is all it is but....
I got brake a light on the dash and no communication with the airbag... LOL and parts to this car everywhere. :D :D I needed PM anyway so I'm good. Thanks again for all your help.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
Well thanks Dan !! Got the fans turnin and the A/C clutch engaged. It ain't coolin though. 70psi on the suction side at idle. I'll check it out this weekend. The Brake light on the dash is not off. yay !!

What is a decent compressor to purchase? I see a number of different ones.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Compressor replaced, dryer, expansion valve and the bug is chillin.
What brand compressor did you get? And that's luck on what fixed your issue. I got the short straw and needed a new evaporator.

Other than hoses my whole ac system is new now. Condenser leaked a little and when the clutch got done it finished it off. Most of my parts are all denso brand including the condenser

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
I almost purchased Denso but didn't. I did a good bit of research and ended up purchasing UAC. I had to say a Hail Mary when I bought it because Amazon said it wouldn't fit my car :) but my research said otherwise. It fit great an I am happy with it. Glad I found this thread as mentioned, I had cooling fan issues as well. Good Stuff !! :) :)

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480629

I'm having a really strange problem discussed here, please advise anyone! I will be working on it tonight. Why do I always get the complex ones. I have the A4 fan and AC troubleshooting guides. The AC trouble shooting one is well done! With the duty cycles and such. I'll see what I can find tonight, thanks

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480629

I'm having a really strange problem discussed here, please advise anyone! I will be working on it tonight. Why do I always get the complex ones.
Here is a perspective on that. You get the complex problems because you can solve all the rest... so the only problems you really have are complex ones. LOL Pat yourself on the back. :)

Last edited:

Jester67

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
Does anyone have any input on why one radiator cooling fan would work and the other not until I spin it by hand. Problem is rather new to me. Thanks in advance.
04 Jetta TDI 1.9 bew

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Not uncommon; replace the bad fan! Right now it won't kill you one way or the other but it does very ugly things to the load on your A/C system to not have both working properly.

Jester67

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
I'm just seeing a weird fluctuation of my temperature, so I didn't know if it's something I should worry about

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Check the other sensor with VCDS (there are *two* sensors in the CTS; one feeds the ECU, the other the cluster.) If the one you see with VCDS doesn't show a problem them the sensor is probably bad; they have a habit of going sideways every few years (or the O-ring seal starts leaking!) but the good news is that they're reasonably cheap.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Does anyone have any input on why one radiator cooling fan would work and the other not until I spin it by hand. Problem is rather new to me. Thanks in advance.
04 Jetta TDI 1.9 bew
I’d bet you have tired brushes/ brush springs.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No VCDS needed, just replace or refresh fan if it's bad. If engine temps are the issue, try a better thread, this one is for AC related issues.

Jester67

TDI
2004 jetta tdi
Still trying to get used to the site and finding things. Was having issues with unusual rising engine temperatures. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Any easier way to test this without VCDS?on a tight budget to to hours cut back at work?
If you spin the blade and it goes there is a problem with the brushes hitting the armature or a bad spot on the armature.

Test continuity with an ohm meter and turn the fan blade and watch for a change.
I've seen this a couple times on a few cars over the years.