Needing advice

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
‘81 caddy ‘05 Jetta wagon ‘03 Jetta wagon ‘13 Passat sedan
My 2005 Passat wagon auto transmission went out with only 140000 miles on it. The engine is strong, the body has some front end cosmetic damage, and the interior is in ok shape.
Question is, do I replace the auto transmission, swap for a manual, or let someone else take on the project? I don’t have the time or experience to do a transmission home either way, if I decide to do that.

I don’t have any emotional attachment, but I like the car!
Maybe I should spring for one of the new buyback cars I see listed all over the place?

Opinions?
Ideas for me?

Thanks!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Can you turn wrenches? If no sell for scrap. If yes keep reading.

Has the cam been visually inspected? Has the balance shaft been upgraded to geared or deleted? If no both of these needed addressed before putting any money into car. Visual inspection costs nothing. Timing belt and balance shaft delete is @ 400 or so in parts with new water pump.

Can you drive a stick? If no a new slush box from vw is nearly 4k. R&R

If you can drive a stick order a 5 speed tdi specific tranny for @800 bucks

Buy a valeo flyweel single mass for 300 with clutch

Send clutch to south bend for @275 to have it upgraded for the tdi

Send ecu off for tune to 5 speed...do you want more power as it can be turned for mas power? @400

Buy clunker 5speed b5 or b5.5 for parts for 200 to 600

Take out clutch and brake pedal assy and sensors/wires/plugs for clutch sensors. Take slave and master cyl for clutch. Take hose for clutch. Take cv axles if good. Take tranny brackets (pass side v6 iirc) take shifter.

Scrap clunker passat, maybe use parts to fix your cosmetics.

Scrap cat converter separately from car.

Drive passat like bat out of hell for next decade changing oil every 10k and timing belt every 75 or whatever it's supposed to be.

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
I like the manual option! I can do some wrench turning, but not sure about taking on that big of a project. I don’t have an adequate space, experience, time, tools, etc.

I just bought the car and don’t know the maintenance history. I’ll have to do some digging. Would a car fax report be off any value?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Car fax is only good for reported accidents/incidences

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Sounds like the previous owner knew the transmission was dying and just sold it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
My 2005 Passat wagon auto transmission went out with only 140000 miles on it. The engine is strong, the body has some front end cosmetic damage, and the interior is in ok shape.
Question is, do I replace the auto transmission, swap for a manual, or let someone else take on the project? I don’t have the time or experience to do a transmission home either way, if I decide to do that.
I don’t have any emotional attachment, but I like the car!
Maybe I should spring for one of the new buyback cars I see listed all over the place?
Opinions?
Ideas for me?
Thanks!
My imaculate 04 w/ all the upgrades started throwing trans codes @ 225k. The wife convinced me to sell. New owner plans a conversion. To this day I second guess my desicion.

I bought a 2011 CPO JSW 6m w/ 69k loaded for 10k out thedoor. I do love it, it isnt as roomy but two adults in the back, on a recent trip, complimented the space. Great mpg, sporty. Biggest fault is the possible/probable DPF issues/expense. If you can delete & tune...;)

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Think twice and do a lot of research before purchasing a used buyback TDI. There appears to be some issues with them, well documented on this forum, including heater core clogging, water pump/radiator/overheating, and a never ending stream of recalls for all sorts of little things (at least for my 2013 Passat). I elected to keep my very low mileage (after VW paying me a boatload of money) and yes it is very fuel efficient and handles and performs well, but as the car ages and end of the extended warranty draws nearer I am beginning to wish I had sold it back and moved on to a non-VW sedan. I will not buy another VW car ever again. When the warranty ends and I start to have the inevitable issues with the DPF, adblue, cooling, heater core, and other systems it will be very expensive to maintain.

I will keep my 2005 Passat TDI and maintain the transmission with service according to the owners manual. My 2005 has been completely reliable and has had no recalls in the last 12 or 13 years. Other than the balance shaft delete, the only other repair needed in almost 15 years has been one torn axle boot. 84,500 miles on the clock, still on original brakes, muffler, radiator, etc. Bone stock, no upgrades or tunes needed for my driving habits. It may lack a little of the space and refinement of the 2013 but the build quality and durability of the car is superior to the 2013. I plan to keep it at least until 2025 if not longer as a reliable daily driver.

waymui@gmail.com

TDI
Now it seems that the turbo isn't working right - the car is slow, Lacks power. cel fault codes are p0101 & p0299 maf & turbo underboost
How big of a job is this? How much should I expect it to cost?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
This is a common fault on the BHW passat TDI. There are a lot of posts on this forum on these codes and turbo underboost. Do some searching. In a few situations the fix was quite simple, but the diagnostic process is quite involved and, if I remember right, in some situations it was a real nightmare. See if you can find a mechanic very familiar with these cars in central Oregon. There are several in Portland OR, e.g., Fixumhaus.