Unknown VW diesel block Identification chart?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
I have a chance at a early or mid 80's VW Diesel engine (very cheap, of course!). I don't know what I'll do with it, but a friend wants it out of his garage. I don't know what it is, I have also never seen it first hand. I know that it is a diesel, and I know that it was swapped into a vanagon for a few years, but pulled when the vanagon was wrecked. I do not know what it came out of originally.

Question: Does anyone know of a resource for identifying VW engine blocks (on this site or elsewhere)? I searched for a while but didn't come up with anything. I want to go look at it and be able to tell if it's something I want rather than having to call a dealer to have them check. Anyone?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Look on the engine block casting under where the exhaust manifold goes. There will be a big 1.5, 1.6 or maybe 1.9 numbers cast into the iron. Most common in the states was the 1.6. Early ones had shim type cam followers (mechanical) Later ones were hydraulic. Have to look under cam cover to see which it is.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
identification is stamped on the block just under the coolant flange on the head. You might have to use a wirebrush to read it.

Here are some pics from some of my old engine projects:

Here is the Remand AEB that i dropped in my Passat. Its a little hard to see the letters but you can tell something is stamped there.

An ATW that I had:

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys! I know google is my friend, I just wasn't having much luck. This is exactly what I was looking for.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
no. just a motor sitting in the corner of the garage for years

bajaONE

TDI
2001 and 2003 Jetta ALH; 2016 golf Sportwagon TDI SEL
Bump this thread as relevant to what I am looking for.

I am buying a TDI jetta that the owner says the engine came from another car that he bought from a VW mechanic that took a damaged car with low miles. I would like to do a car fax on the old car but he does not know the vin number.

Can I with the engine block number get the VIN number somehow, have searched and no information was found.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Bump this thread as relevant to what I am looking for.
I am buying a TDI jetta that the owner says the engine came from another car that he bought from a VW mechanic that took a damaged car with low miles. I would like to do a car fax on the old car but he does not know the vin number.
Can I with the engine block number get the VIN number somehow, have searched and no information was found.
I don't know if there is a way to see that "BEW 345 322" was installed in WVWZZZ..... is exists.

With that said. The ALH and later ECUs have the car's VIN number internally.