2005.5 Jetta TDI transmission problem

jersey

TDI
2005.5 jetta
I need help. I have a 2005.5 Jetta TDI with 92,000 miles. Two weeks ago it started hesitating when I'm aggressive with it, and it does not want to up shift. When I drive the car easy to normal it has no problems, only when I need to pick up quickly like getting onto a highway.

I have been to the dealership, they told me there are no sensors to read the transmission and it has to come out, there is a problem. Costs lots of money.

I've been to three different shops. The first one said I had bad fuel, I should have my fuel filter changed.

The second and third shop said it was the transmission, however they can't tell me what from the transmission is bad, and they are suggesting a transmission service. The dealership is telling me the transmission does not ever get serviced, although the manual does call for it at 40,000 miles. I don't think it has ever been done.

I do not have a lot of trust in the the dealership and the other shops lack the knowledge of the transmission(good shops a mercedes, and two just Volkswagen). Please I need help desperately-----I'd rather not pull the transmission for $2000 unless i know what's wrong.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You need to contact a guru in your area. There is a list here with names and others will probably chime in with some trusted people as well. The DSG is to be serviced every 40k miles. Don't let the dealership touch it until you have one of the gurus look at it. They may save you some big money. Here is the list:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

jersey

TDI
2005.5 jetta
no one is in our area, many of the shops do not know much on the DSG transmissions. I don't want to be a guinea pig

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure what they mean by 'no sensors' :confused:

The DSG has an OBD system just like any other modern computer controlled automatic transmission. If there are no DTCs, then it may be something internal/mechanical. However the mechatronics unit could be at fault and still not giving any DTCs.

Yes, the fluid and filter should be changed every 40k miles. And no, the dealer probably will not know this nor stock any parts for it nor even know how to service it :rolleyes: .

Chances are very good it has some control problem, but the mechatronics unit is several thousand dollars and the transmission must be removed to change it.

It seems more and more my predictions of the DSG being troublesome are coming true... Volkswagen should just outsource ALL their autoboxes.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
So your transmission didnt get the 40k service or the 80k service?

I think you need to change the fluid, turbo.

jersey

TDI
2005.5 jetta
I met Guinea pig to the shops around here. Sorry

Do you think I should have a transmission service?? I don't think it has ever been done...may be this could be the problem???

Luis G

TDI
2006 Jetta
Do you mean shift down?? What happens if you put the transmission in S mode? You really need to change the DSG fluid. Every 40k miles. I skipped the first one but just did it at 72k.

Luis G

TDI
2006 Jetta
So does it hesitate when using tiptronic. And when you say hesitate do you mean that the motor is hesitating under heavy load or just having trouble shifting gears? I had a problem with hesitation under load and it was the fuel filter.

oilhammer

TDI
jersey said:
it hesitates every time I try to accelerate quickly on top of the trans not up shifting
And you are certain your fuel filter has been kept changed as the PM schedule dictates?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Once again you need to have it looked at by one of our gurus before you do anything else. A service may fix it or not. The dealer will surely wear out your wallet swapping parts out. The trans is expensive and for the most part can only be replaced and not repaired from what I understand. You may have to tow it to one of the gurus. Still should be cheaper than several grand at least. This isn't something you want to be the guinea pig on, you need an expert, and it isn't the dealer!

jersey

TDI
2005.5 jetta
We have only owned the car to the last 10,000 miles. I know the trans has never been serviced and I don't know about the fuel filter.

I was going to have them both done, but I don't trust the local guys.

oilhammer

TDI
Get all the scheduled PM caught up, I bet the fuel filter is clogging up. I replace about 10 of these a year on PDs that are clogged up. When VAG says replace them every 20k miles, they mean it.

oilhammer

TDI
jersey said:
Do you think that would prevent the trans from upshifting??
Absolutely. The ECU sees a lot of pedal signal from your right foot, but the engine cannot get enough fuel to make the requested power, and thus commands the TCM to stay in a lower gear. I see this sort of thing all the time on all kinds of cars. This is why most transmission shops keep fuel filters in stock. :)

jersey

TDI
2005.5 jetta
funny you mention that, this problem happened right after I filled up. I was wondering if it was bad fuel.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
jersey said:
We have only owned the car to the last 10,000 miles. I know the trans has never been serviced and I don't know about the fuel filter.

I was going to have them both done, but I don't trust the local guys.
Change both ASAP.