Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
RUG has gone up 20¢ to 30¢ while D2 has come down 10¢ on average around here.

Jason
Same here, although there been a bit more fluctuation in diesel than I like. It was down, then up, then down again. The opportunistic stations didn't hesitate, in some cases, to go from ~$2.499 to $2.999 because they could, only to see everyone else drop even further. The spread is unusually wide in my area now because of this. $2.329 - $2.999

Petrol, on the other hand, has stopped spiking. It's $2.099 to $2.159.

cavymeister

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium
Saw $2.69 yesterday, but was driving the van. Ended up filling up at $2.75 for premium ULSD (45 cetane).

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
2 stations still holding 2.75 but most of them have gone from 2.79 to 2.88. Picked up HHO yesterday for 2.49 cheapest I have bought in years.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It was $2.67 or so last Friday on my way home from work. Today it was $2.79!

That's a close to $.30 rise in a month!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The March 2015 futures contract for heating oil/ULSD is up about 40 cents a gallon in the last month. Locally, the spot or rack price for ULSD is up about 50 cents a gallon since mid-January.

Yet the average price for ULSD at the pump is down nearly 15 cents a gallon since mid-January -- because the pump prices one month ago included an extremely healthy profit margin. The profit margin has shrunk, but not many stations have actually raised prices to match the wholesale price increases. One discount chain did raise diesel from $2.69 to $2.79 last week, but many stations never cut prices below $2.85-2.89.

I expect the next general price movement to be higher, so I've been topping up whenever I see a good price, even if I only need 8 or 10 gallons. And if I need fuel and I'm not in a community with the lowest prices, I only add 3 or 4 gallons.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
In Colorado the difference gap has been narrowing for the last couple of weeks. Today D2 was down the $2.369 with RUG starting below $2 and ending ending the day above $2 by at least $0.10 above that mark.

RUG starting the day @ $1.939-1.959 and ending the above $2.10 everywhere I passed. We don't use much HHO in the region so that gap could narrow a bit more before D2 start it's climb again.....

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
Keeps going up

I passed by my favorite Shell and it went up another 6 cents. That a total of 18 cents more a gallon since I filled up last week.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Are they trying to get back to the prices we were at last winter as quick as possible?!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Are they trying to get back to the prices we were at last winter as quick as possible?!
The seasonal pattern is still in place: a narrowing of the spread between gasoline and diesel prices which began over a month ago. But there is also a bounce-back in the prices for crude oil, from the low set on January 29th. On that date WTI traded below $44/barrel, now it is around $52.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yes, I figured as much...
It's still a bit of a bummer to see prices jump this much so quickly.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
The seasonal pattern is still in place: a narrowing of the spread between gasoline and diesel prices which began over a month ago. But there is also a bounce-back in the prices for crude oil, from the low set on January 29th. On that date WTI traded below $44/barrel, now it is around $52.
That may be, but it seems like every town and community has a subset of filling stations that will jack up diesel whenever gas goes up, even if other stations stay the same or go lower.

Case in point one of the (many) Shell stations in my area that has one of those really poor old diesel pumps that probably doesn't see much traffic. It jumped a while back from $2.399 to $2.859 overnight when gas prices spiked a while back. It's been there ever since even though gas eventually came back down. That's around 30¢ higher than everyone else in the immediate vicinity. I remember posting about another Shell (seriously, we have them at about a 4:1 ratio of every other brand) that jumped $2.559 to $2.959.

And now that gas is creeping back up after its initial big spike, diesel is creeping as well. Yet another Shell north of me just raised diesel from $2.99 to $3.29. Gross, when you can drive about 2 miles further down and get a different Shell selling for ~$2.659 (credit).

The low end is still barely clinging to $2.479 at a few stations, at least according to GasBuddy. Most of the diesel prices in my list this morning couldn't be trusted as we have a visitor from OK who is just making up every grade for every station in town, over-writing correct prices in some cases. I went out and fixed as many as I could earlier today but I missed a bunch due to time constraints.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Up, Up and Away

It's getting hard to believe but just passed my favorite Shell and D2 has jumped another 8 cents a gallon!! It's now 2.99/gallon. We'll be over 3 bucks a gallon in no time :mad:. Goodbye to 2 buck plus a gallon D2, it was fun while it lasted :(.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
According to gasbuddy, it's $2.34 for diesel and $1.89 for regular around me (SC). So it's down about a dime since I last filled the JSW and up about 20 cents since I last filled the truck. I have to fill both this week and will probably do it today before the really cold weather (for us) sets in.

Update:
So I filled both the JSW and truck up over lunch. I live really close to work. Regular is up 16 cents and diesel is down 13 cents. I last filled both vehicles on Jan 19. I was surprised to see that I filled both of them on the same days a month apart. Neither were empty but I had about 460 miles on the JSW and 270 on the truck and they both took around 13 gallons.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.............just passed my favorite Shell and D2 has jumped another 8 cents a gallon!! It's now 2.99/gallon.

300 miles north of you hombre (high turnover Chevron - adjacent to the Union Pacific Roseville railyard), price jumped to $3.29/gallon (from a low of $2.99)

ez

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
300 miles north of you hombre (high turnover Chevron - adjacent to the Union Pacific Roseville railyard), price jumped to $3.29/gallon (from a low of $2.99)
ez
Yeah, I can't say that I didn't see it coming. I'm already bracing myself for the old prices that I was paying before.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
And now we can add in a refinery fire. That will drive prices up for awhile.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Just heard on the news that the refinery explosion in Torrance is going to drive up fuel prices up another 7 to 15 cents a gallon by next week. Southern California will be hit pretty hard. Gotta love it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The wicked crude oil train explosion in West Virginia won't help much either :(
The longer term issue there is that the regulators will slow down rail shipments by limiting the number of oil tank cars per run. Most of the cars in that crash were the new "safer" design.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
The longer term issue there is that the regulators will slow down rail shipments by limiting the number of oil tank cars per run. Most of the cars in that crash were the new "safer" design.
That was the Bakken oil, more flammable, it really needs to be transported through a pipeline.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Totally agree, but there is no pipeline through there. Just like the keystone pipeline. Great idea on paper but no one wants to commit when it comes time to put your hand in the air.