my new golf tdi, towing my airstream

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
well let's see: panic stops and long downhill grades are some examples, melt the brakes on something that was never engineered to tow that much weight in the first place.
Driving around in a parking lot is not the same as 60mph down a highway and getting hit by a cross wind. Seriously, in the US, if you got pulled over, it wouldn't continue on the highway, and the fines would be insane.
Trucks towing heavy loads, are engineered for capacities. Sure, plenty of people overload, and bad things do and can happen. The drivelines and brakes on even light duty diesel trucks are over engineered for a reason.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Do you know the towing capacity of the car, or are we completely ignoring it?
whats towing capacity?

jkjk

Paul, completely ignoring all safety factors, I'll hope you'll give some thought to the load you're putting on the drivetrain of your new vehicle. You've more than doubled the weight the car was designed to move ;)
haha and just the fact that it was proven it can be done. like us powerstroke drivers overloading our trucks lol.

Mad props for your huge balls:)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
HAHA!

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
Yes Please...

Wow, I do not know how I missed this thread, but Airstreamer I love this! I have been dreaming about doing something similar ever since I got my 2000 Jetta TDI. ( Sadly not as good of a canidate as newer ones.) I know a lot of people doubt productions of CanAm but they know their stuff; and I would fully trust it. I have seen where they have hooked up 23' Airstreams (~5k lbs.) to a MKV Jetta TDI. Actually in this article http://www.rvlifemag.com/file363/hitchhints363.html , Andy talks about how they regularly use the Jetta to pick up new trailers for CanAm.

I am VERY interested in this topic. I live in a 1954 26' Airstream Cruiser (link in signature). I still need to get mine weighed, but the gutted weight is around 2k lbs; so with my custom interior I assume I am fully loaded at around 4k lbs and its a single axle. While Oilhammer is correct that the newer ones are "portly" the vintage ones are made quite light. The 50's are not as tall and narrower than 60's and on so I have that in my favor. I have been thinking about contacting CanAm to consider TDI options for towing my rig. They would probably recommend an MKV TDI for its independent rear suspension; but I would love to do the needed upgrades on my MK4 or a MK4 wagon to be a TV. getting 25mpg while towing would be amazing, but the real saving comes in the 90% time you aren't towing and aren't stuck with 20 mpg.

I mean com'on guys; if the bicycle brakes in my profile pic are good enough, I think my Jetta can handle it! This is what Airstreams were made for! :D

Last edited:

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
I'll let you guys know how my mk4 holds up with 2000 lbs by Friday, I have a load of firewood to bring home. Honestly all I would recommend to anyone looking at factory towing capacities, is to use them as a limit for the max weight WITHOUT brakes on the trailer. For the max total weight, I guess you have to go with some logic, aerodynamics, and hills.

Mark

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I see that he's got a load leveling hitch. That helps move some of the weight on the tongue to the front axle and distribute it through the car's chassis. The scariest tow vehicle I ever rode in (not my rig) was a Jeep Wrangler. Way too high and squirmy tires, the boat behind us kept pushing the rear of the vehicle from side to side.

JiffyJinx

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Hey Airstreamr!

You're living my dream! I applaud your choice of tow vehicle and trailer. I assume you had Andy Thomson help you with your setup. He's my hero and we hope to have him set us up with a TDI/Airstream combination in the near future.

For those of you that haven't encountered CanAm RV, I suggest you Google them - watch the videos. You'll be amazed by the research that they have done over the past 25 years into unconventional tow vehicles. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars on a truck, suffer with it's mileage, ride..etc, when there is a real alternative?

alsoPaul

JiffyJinx

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Sorry - forgot to mention, if interested, do a search for Andy Thomson in the forums on RV.net - there's a lot of information there as well.

As to the legality of using a Golf to tow an Airstream, maybe we could ask Andy to weigh in here - As a business owner, I'm quite sure he'll be well versed in the liability issues.

Airstreamr - from your photos, I assume you've done some towing/travelling in the US - any problems with the police or DTS?

alsoPaul

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
2300 lbs grosse weight and no issues taking off or braking quickly. However I kept a neutral tongue weight by loading properly. I could imagine a new TDI with that much more power and electric brakes on the trailer would be a breeze. What it will do long term to a frame is a different story.

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
I love it. Ive towed a pop up with mine. no pictures but i often use my diesel to tow cars back to the shop. I knew i couldnt be the only one with a 7 pin and trailer brakes on a tdi lol

Its funny i tell people oh ya i can tow your car back ill bring the 400 ft/lb diesel out and show up with that :p

convict

TDI
high speed tennis shoe
dieseldorf - totally ignoring it :) i'm also not 100% sure VW has a "towing capacity" listed (that i can find anyway).

i ensured it was setup by a professional towing expert (CanAm RV Centre - they speak around the world about towing and tow vehicles).http://
A strong gust of wind & I can see this rig all over the road! Can you amagine what it's like behind the wheel ? When you crash I would hate to be in your shoes. Attorneys & DOT are all going to be asking alot of questions, then you can refer them to your professional towing expert @ CanAm RV Centre. I hope their insurance premiums are paid up!

airstreamer

TDI
golf 2011 tdi
A strong gust of wind & I can see this rig all over the road! Can you amagine what it's like behind the wheel ? When you crash I would hate to be in your shoes. Attorneys & DOT are all going to be asking alot of questions, then you can refer them to your professional towing expert @ CanAm RV Centre. I hope their insurance premiums are paid up!
i've actually driven the rig through 50-60mph crosswinds, no problem (other than a increase in fuel consumption). insurance has no problem insuring the rig or tow vehicle either.

in europe smaller cars tow RVs all the time (and smaller cars have towed RVs in north america in the 50s,60s,70s,etc...), but i wouldn't expect your pea-sized texas brain (i guess not everything is bigger in texas, eh?) to be able to comprehend anything outside of your bubble of being sold the the marketing from truck companies. Can-AM has been in business for 40 years.

get your head out of your ass before you spew a bunch of nonesense you know absolutely nothing about.

can you "AMAGINE" that?

WEDEL.1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf VI BlueMotion, 1.6TDI - Oettingered
i've actually driven the rig through 50-60mph crosswinds, no problem (other than a increase in fuel consumption). insurance has no problem insuring the rig or tow vehicle either.
in europe smaller cars tow RVs all the time (and smaller cars have towed RVs in north america in the 50s,60s,70s,etc...), but i wouldn't expect your pea-sized texas brain (i guess not everything is bigger in texas, eh?) to be able to comprehend anything outside of your bubble of being sold the the marketing from truck companies. Can-AM has been in business for 40 years.
get your head out of your ass before you spew a bunch of nonesense you know absolutely nothing about.
can you "AMAGINE" that?
I like it:D

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
As someone who tows regularly (weekly) with a small (now mid size) car, I can tell you that the armchair speculation NEVER ends. Don't try to debate it using your FACTS and EXPERIENCE. Nothing trumps a bucket full of "I betcha."

Just keep doing what you're doing. I can see that you are doing it safely, and CanAm has a reputation for putting safe tow rigs out on the roads. They are no strangers to diesel VWs.

The debates on the Subaru forums are endless. My Outback is rated to tow 2,700 pounds in the US and 3,960 pounds in Europe. Still, people say, "yeah, but I think you shouldn't tow more than 1,200 pounds... Anything more would be dangerous."

jabbejokker

TDI
None, yet
Sorry, I had to dig this one up.
Our problem is that both VW and our Güberment think that we Americans are to stupid to grasp moderately complicated concepts. Add a major push for the manufacturers to sell lucrative SUV's, light trucks, CUV's and other Fischer-Price-like lardmobiles and the result is as such:
We do not get to option our cars like the Europeans do, We do not get to chose the engines we want, we are electronically fenced from our theoretical top speeds, and we do not get a tow ratings for our cars.
The 2.0 TDI (140) can tow 1500 KG with brakes and 680 without. That, for us stupid Americans, means: (~3300#/~1500#).
Also the non limited, theoretical top speed is KMH: 209/207(DSG) or MPH: 126/125(DSG)
Source:
http://www.volkswagen.dk/content/medialib/vwd4/dk/trimlevel_pdf/golf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/golf.pdf
Now don't forget to hook up the trailer to the blunt section of your car, with the red lights, where the luggage compartment is located. If you mistakenly hook it up to the end with the clear lights you won't be going very fast and you may experience an annoying whine as you proceed in reverse.
Rant over:D

ochoada

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Hey Paul, I'm interested in your custom hitch setup. I'm assuming that Can Am did it as a part of your package....And I'm assuming It's a 2" receiver...Wondering if you have any pictures of the hitch, how much shows etc.

Thanks!

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
Me too: 2000 Golf TDI and a 16 foot Airstream

I was told by Airstream that their official book from VW said there is no towing capability on any VW's except Vanagon (spelling?) and Touregs. But in Europe, my same 13 year old car can tow the 16 foot Airstream, among others. It's almost like we've been brainwashed into thinking we have to have a truck to tow. Not true. But, I do think we should all be using electric brakes.
The 16 foot scamp weighs 1,000 pounds less than the Airstream and costs 1/3 of the price. But Still. For the 90% of the time we (us using them to tow our rigs) won't be towing.... It matters much less. But we have to drive much more carefully.

I'll let yo guys know which trailer I end up getting. Already saw the Airstream, still need to check out the Scamp...

Last edited:

polaryj

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
hell yeah airstream! as a truck guy myself, i know lots of guys towing 30k lbs with a dodge truck, why not 4k with a golf!?!

the average bad driver in a car alone scares me more then a good driver towing 4k

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Airstreamer, I think thats awesome that you are hauling it around. I hopefully will be getting like a scamp, burro, some kind of 13 footer to haul around in my 2000 model. As you said, cautious driving is really what its all about..theres no rush and usually that means no problems.

Awesome. I cant wait to be on a roadtrip with the fam and have a camper behind me livin it! (and not paying for hotels!)

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
Airstreamer, what hitch are you using? I can't find anything rated more than 200/2000. I'd really love to know because I'm holding off on buying a camper until I'm sure I can find a hitch good for 2,500 pounds.
Thanks!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I see your Airstream (I was looking at a Bambi first) and raise you an EggCamper.

My Golf has more power and bigger brakes than my dad's Chevy C10. Properly setup it has no trouble pulling AND stopping the trailer. It's more about the driver than the rig.

Happy (and safe) trails,

Jason

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
I see your Airstream (I was looking at a Bambi first) and raise you an EggCamper.

My Golf has more power and bigger brakes than my dad's Chevy C10. Properly setup it has no trouble pulling AND stopping the trailer. It's more about the driver than the rig.

Happy (and safe) trails,

Jason
I see your Egg Camper and raise you the 16' Scamp I just bought today. I shalst post a picture when I pick it up in 6 weeks :).

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Wow, good luck with that! You are living dangerously, but worse putting others at risk too. If you have to swerve for an alligator in the road or a bunny rabbit/deer/dog/cat/armadillo/moose/etc, you will take up 2 lanes gathering control. The tail will wag the dog!

Poor car ;-(

Nice trailer though.

You should not swerve for most of those, exception of moose I'd say.
Seriously, swerve for a bunny?

You are putting everyone at risk around you if you swerve or slam on brakes for any animal. And often, you're better off plowing through the animal than possibly swerving in someone else's lane, or slamming on brakes.

I do not like the ignoring of towing capacity. It is there for a reason, and I don't care how peppy your car still is. Have you seen the commercial with the tundra towing the space shuttle? Okay, it can do it. Get up to 60 mph and slam on brakes. There's the issue.

Oh your trailer has brakes to? Cool, I'm rvsa/rvia certified, trailer brakes are not exactly reliable. (they aren't terrible either, I just never trust my vehicle if I have to rely on my tow vehicles brakes too.)

Good luck, safe travels. If you come through central Florida shoot me a PM. I will give you a discounted service from my mobile RV business.

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
jsrmonster - i've actually gone in an empty parking to feel the swerving/swaying and it doesn't sway at all (sway bar helps with that) and it doesn't wag at all. have you ever tried - or are you based that on speculation alone (not being mean - just curious)? the trailer corrects as quickly as the car does, and it handles better than my nissan xterra, even with the trailer behind it. with the trailer brakes, the car stops quicker than without too.

i'd say risk to myself/others would be more based on driving poorly. the golf consistently wins "tow car of the year" in europe. in north america people are marketed to for big trucks, so they all believe that's all that can tow anything.

look back 50 years - cars barely had 100hp, big trucks with duelies weren't ever used, and towed much larger trailers consistently. canada/america are just sold "bigger is better for towing" by truck companies...

I know this is an older thread, but I have researched Airstreams for a while, and they do indeed handle extremely well. And yes, they also have excellent brakes.
I have the 90 H.P. TDI and it is also 1,000 lbs. In EU, my same car is 3,000 lbs. In the US, VW & all makers dumb down the tow capacity because of US laws (if they are actually higher).
Airstreamer: Totally jealous. I have to ask- is the wet bath OK for every day?