battery died.. now radio wont work

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I started my car fine, drove less than 1 km to the auto parts store and car wouldn't turn over. Walked him got another car and tried to boost it, still wouldn't turn over.. so I pushed it home.

I didnt really think it was the battery due to the way it died so suddenly but I swapped it out with a battery and car started fine. The problem lies now that my radio is unresponsive to anything but the power button, I can turn it on, it shows 88.3 as the station.. cant change it, and no volume. It does show volume going up and down when I turn the knob but no sound, it also does not respond to the steering wheel controls

radio fubared? i tried pulling fuse 42 and it did not help, not sure what else to do.

sorta disappointing :(

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
has the radio perhaps gone into SAFE mode, you might need to reset it. Just a thought is all.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
has the radio perhaps gone into SAFE mode, you might need to reset it. Just a thought is all.
I wish it did, according to the manual it will only do that if its change into a different car. It does not say SAFe, it shows the default channel 88.3

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I wish it did, according to the manual it will only do that if its change into a different car. It does not say SAFe, it shows the default channel 88.3
I have had that happen when I unhooked the battery; try the steps, and use the code on the card in the manual, might yet help.

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Disconnect positive and negative terminals from battery. Touch positive terminal to negative terminal and hold them together for 20 seconds. Re attach terminals to battery. Now try.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I took the radio out, played with the wires a bit, hooked it up without the blue connector hoping to force safe mode, no luck

does anyone have a wiring diagram for this radio? I want to try and force safe mode on the bench. TDiFred, I followed the instructions, but you dont get anything on the display for the code, and seek and scan buttons do not respond (no beep at when pressing it for two seconds).

I am a little reluctant to try that streeker02, but maybe as a last resort.

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I took the radio out, played with the wires a bit, hooked it up without the blue connector hoping to force safe mode, no luck

does anyone have a wiring diagram for this radio? I want to try and force safe mode on the bench. TDiFred, I followed the instructions, but you dont get anything on the display for the code, and seek and scan buttons do not respond (no beep at when pressing it for two seconds).

I am a little reluctant to try that streeker02, but maybe as a last resort.
Alright then...GL to you :rolleyes:

edit: Just to make sure you understand clearly, you are disconnecting the battery. You are only touching the cables together, nothing will be harmed or shorted by doing this...I promise

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
stock radio is dead, read 25 topics about the same issues on the web.

so now i go aftermarket, i noticed the wiring isnt what i was expecting, i found the 8 pin speaker harness, no worries there.

is there a 'accessory' signal, for when key is on(either run or accessory). It appears it might get a signal from the computer to turn on off depending on key.

is there a proper ground at the radio? I couldn't seem to find one

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
I recently changed the heater core on my Mom's 98 Jetta. Last night my Dad called and he said the radio goes to SAFE everytime he turns it off.

I suspect the fuse on the back of the radio is bad. Any other suggestions? He says he doesn't lose the presets.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I recently changed the heater core on my Mom's 98 Jetta. Last night my Dad called and he said the radio goes to SAFE everytime he turns it off.

I suspect the fuse on the back of the radio is bad. Any other suggestions? He says he doesn't lose the presets.
those radios act all weird after a while, i had a 98 and i changed the battery and radio just died, i had power to the back of the radio but it just didnt want to turn on anymore. Maybe its time he gets a new radio :)

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Copy. He does have a spare so I'll be able to get him going.

stoutguru

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI

The radio might have a bad solder joint where the fuse fits in at the back of the radio. Pretty common on the older cars.