2005 E320 CDI 92 Deg C Thermostat....

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Fellas,

Noticed my new to me 2005 E320 CDI engine temp is running lower than it should. It's indicating 60C in colder climates, and only got to around 80C in Florida here. I verified temps with a digital thermometer in the tank. I need to find the highest temp OEM style T-stat I can find for it. Looks like the originals may have been rated for 87C(depending on regions emissions requirements), but were possibly respecified to 90 or 92C. Pelican parts has the Wahler brand 92C T-stat for it, and so does KO performance:

http://www.koperformance.com/catalog/MBZ/2005/6745-E320-CDI-211.026-/C2/488-Thermostat.html

Looks like KO performance with the free shipping is a better deal. Anyone have an other vendors at reasonable prices?

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
I ordered from KO performance. They had the 92 Deg C Wahler unit with the coolant temp sensor included with the housing. Some of the manufacturers are sneaky and don't include a new temp sensor-Beware. Really the $57.00 for the thermostat, housing and a temp sensor isn't too bad if you think about it. The ALH temp sensor is $15, housing is $7, and the thermostat can be from $7-$35. Add is all up, and the $57 seems really reasonable. I plan on disecting the old T-stat assembly to see if there would be a way to retrofit a 205 Deg F T-stat in there like I have done on my ALH.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
That's rated for 92 Deg C? Also looks like black plastic instead of the aluminum the original is.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the quality of the wahler 92 C unit to be on par with what I expected from a quality german manufacturer. Just did my Thermostat last friday evening which took about 45 minutes. Used a vacuum device to remove all the coolant from the reservoir, and then went to town on the thermostat. I didn't remove the oil filter cap like most others do, and didn't have too much trouble getting the old T-stat out and the new one in. I didn't end up loosing a drop of coolant BTW. There are 4 fasteners that secure the T-stat. 3 in the T-stat framework that secures it to the head, and one that goes in through the bracket at the front of the engine directly into the T-stat housing. I was struggling to reach 80C, and now run 92C easily. I believe I picked up a mpg or two from the change FWIW.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Added my(wifes actually) 2005 E320 CDI to Fuelly so I can track MPG's etc. I like it because not only does it track mileage, but you can add repair notes to it so you have a record of what was done on the car. I recently fixed an oil leak on the pasengers side top of the motor that seemed to be coming from the oil fill cap area, and cleaned the EGR valve, and the MAF sensor. Hopefully I will see some MPG gains from it all. Next on the list is fuel filter, and air filter along with a diff fluid flush.... :)

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I made preps for the Tstat while at work today. I could have done it but I forgot to pick up a female torx set. I have lots of photos of the topside of the engine and I will post the Tstat photos tomorrow or the next day. Gonna do the change out while at work Sunday evening.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool, glad to hear you are getting things in line for the swap. Looking forward to some photos of the process. I believe I will be making a quick YouTube video soon of the replacement of a couple seals that are under the air/oil separator. Mine was seeping oil and causing the start of a big mess. Doesn't seen to be much in the way of DIY type videos for these vehicles, so it's wide open for us to contribute.

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Could you post your link to the 50x4mm o-ring that you found. I couldn't find it from the benzworld post.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
No problem-sounds like you have a bit of a leak there too :) I got it from AutoHausAZ and it's a thermostat O ring/seal from a 2002 VW Jetta TDI part number 059121119. Here's the link:

http://www.autohausaz.com

Also available from NAPA autoparts too. I have made a video that will hopefully be live some time tonight on the repair.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Good Videos

:D
:)

Excellent video. Thank you.

Now I've got another small project to perform.
Did not realise that mine was leaking slightly until I viewed your presentation.

Also, how did you get your entire engine to shine as it does?
The engine compartment looks like it is brand new!

When you do your rear end gear oil change, see if the ratio is stamped
on the
carrier as it used to be on the older models. Should be something like 2.65.

Thanks again.

Derrel

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Thermostat changed on mine. Engine heats up properly and fuel economy may have improved. Did not remove oil filter and didn't drop any fasteners in the engine. :)

My next fill up will be with 49+ cetane D2 from an independent refiner/supplier (MFA oil) in MO. Lets see if the low rpm lugging improves with better fuel.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI

Excellent video. Thank you.

Now I've got another small project to perform.
Did not realise that mine was leaking slightly until I viewed your presentation.

Also, how did you get your entire engine to shine as it does?
The engine compartment looks like it is brand new!

When you do your rear end gear oil change, see if the ratio is stamped
on the
carrier as it used to be on the older models. Should be something like 2.65.

Thanks again.

Derrel
Thanks for the compliment! I took some time and degreased the engine once I fixed the pesky air oil separator oil leak. I finished it off with a spray of armorall to keep it shiny. I find a clean engine is nice to work on, and it's easy to spot problems too. I've already completed the rear end flush, and I don't remember seeing the ratio. I hope it's as high as possible! :)

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Thermostat changed on mine. Engine heats up properly and fuel economy may have improved. Did not remove oil filter and didn't drop any fasteners in the engine. :)

My next fill up will be with 49+ cetane D2 from an independent refiner/supplier (MFA oil) in MO. Lets see if the low rpm lugging improves with better fuel.

Looking forward to hearing your MPG results-will be nice for like for like comparison results!

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Almost forgot, just did the fuel filter on mine last night. Went really well, although I did drop one clamp down onto the underbelly pan, and dropped one small screwdriver in front of the radiator area. :rolleyes: I was in a time crunch as I had never done the job before so didn't know what to expect, and my wife needed to use the car about 45 minutes after I started the procedure. I ended up trimming about 1/4" off of the fuel lines so I wouldn't have any issues.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good

. . just did the fuel filter on mine last night. Went really well, although I did drop one clamp down onto the underbelly pan, and dropped one small screwdriver in front of the radiator area. :rolleyes:
I was in a time crunch as I had never done the job before so didn't know what to expect,
and my wife needed to use the car about 45 minutes after I started the procedure.
I ended up trimming about 1/4" off of the fuel lines so I wouldn't have any issues.

Now that you know how to do it, come on over and do mine please. Who supplied the new
fuel filter element? Was the old one dirty or perhaps you could not tell?
Don't know why, but I'm scared of doing that job!

Speaking of, are you going to add your Fuelly ad to your posts
so that all of us may keep an eye on how well you are doing? :confused:

Inquiring minds need to know, don't you know? :confused:

Derrel

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agree

Thanks for the compliment! I took some time and degreased the engine once I fixed the pesky air oil separator oil leak. I finished it off with a spray of armorall to keep it shiny. I find a clean engine is nice to work on, and it's easy to spot problems too. I've already completed the rear end flush, and I don't remember seeing the ratio. I hope it's as high as possible! :)

THE Question is:

What did you use to degrease your engine? Did you remove the belly
pan before you degreased so the grim did not accumulate there?

Once knew what to use years ago when I belonged to the So Cal Impala SS club.
It worked really well, but I cannot recall how it was done.

Thanks,

Derrel

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI

Now that you know how to do it, come on over and do mine please. Who supplied the new
fuel filter element? Was the old one dirty or perhaps you could not tell?
Don't know why, but I'm scared of doing that job!

Speaking of, are you going to add your Fuelly ad to your posts
so that all of us may keep an eye on how well you are doing? :confused:

Inquiring minds need to know, don't you know? :confused:

Derrel

I purchased the fuel filter with water sensor from Partsgeek-I believe it was a Beck/Arnley element. Looked to be a good quality part. The whole job took about 45 minutes so not too bad as mentioned before. I haven't yet inspected the old fuel filter but may tear it apart in the near future. I tried to add both fuelleys but it will only allow one to my posts-not sure why? I'm not terribly computer savy so it may be my lack of computer skills. I did add my fuelly to the BenzWorld forum though :)

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI

THE Question is:

What did you use to degrease your engine? Did you remove the belly
pan before you degreased so the grim did not accumulate there?

Once knew what to use years ago when I belonged to the So Cal Impala SS club.
It worked really well, but I cannot recall how it was done.

Thanks,

Derrel

This time I used some oxyclean type degreasing liquid in a spray bottle since it was what I had on hand at the time. I've used SimpleGreen(which I preffer) and also the engine degreaser in the can from the auto parts store with great results in the past too. My engine was really clean to begin with, so no immediate need to remove the belly pan-just a real good rinse with water was sufficient. I would go with simplegreen since it biodegrades really nice and seems to completely rinse away with no residue. Follow that up with a good spay/wipedown with some Armorall and your good to go!

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Some really neat information I found on the OM648 in the 05/06 CDI in NA:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=0e8d2977428e06c486ae4eae307d9d9f&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.benzworld.org%2Fforums%2Fw211-e-class%2F1641573-thread-help-keep-track-my-mileage-2.html%23post5173069&v=1&libid=1332431646948&out=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.viglink.com%2Fapi%2Fclick%3Fformat%3Dgo%26drKey%3D195%26loc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fmbworld.org%252Fforums%252Fdiesel-forum%252F369775-e320-cdi-vs-e320-bluetec.html%26v%3D1%26libid%3D1332431431539%26out%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mercedestechstore.com%252Fpdfs%252F331_0405update%252F03-331%252520pp%252520diesel%252520print(FAH)%2525205-5-04.pdf%26ref%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fmbworld.org%252Fforums%252Fdiesel-forum%252F369775-e320-cdi-vs-e320-bluetec-2.html%26title%3DE320%2520CDI%2520vs.%2520E320%2520BLUETEC%2520-%2520MBWorld.org%2520Forums%26txt%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mercedestechstore.com%252Fpdf...)%2525205-5-04.pdf%26jsonp%3Dvglnk_jsonp_13324314671201&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.benzworld.org%2Fforums%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26noquote%3D1%26p%3D5169408&title=Thread%20to%20help%20keep%20track%20of%20my%20mileage%20improvements%20on%20the%2005%20E320%20CDI%20-%20Page%202%20-%20Benzworld.org%20-%20Mercedes-Benz%20Discussion%20Forum%23post5173069&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.viglink.com%2Fapi%2Fclick%3Ffor...13324314671201&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13324324882321

I printed it out immediately to put in my E320 CDI car information binder. The better you know how the car operates the better you are prepared for troubleshooting in the future should the need actually arise :)

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
Hi all.

I've been of the TDI flock since I bought my 2000 Jetta TDI new in 2000, been on these pages since my intake coked up in 2003. Still have the car. My kids drive it.

I've owned my 2005 E320 CDI now for about 2 weeks. Love it. I've noted that the temp barely hovers around 70 degrees C per dash gauge. I've been thinking about the 92 degree thermostat upgrade. The weather is warmer now. Yesterday I drove from NYC to DC it was 85 degrees F outside and temp reading on the dash was right at 90C. Will the new thermostat have a different operating result in cooler weather ie 90C?

-Bill

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi all.

I've been of the TDI flock since I bought my 2000 Jetta TDI new in 2000, been on these pages since my intake coked up in 2003. Still have the car. My kids drive it.

I've owned my 2005 E320 CDI now for about 2 weeks. Love it. I've noted that the temp barely hovers around 70 degrees C per dash gauge. I've been thinking about the 92 degree thermostat upgrade. The weather is warmer now. Yesterday I drove from NYC to DC it was 85 degrees F outside and temp reading on the dash was right at 90C. Will the new thermostat have a different operating result in cooler weather ie 90C?

-Bill

Good to see you over here Bill!

The thermostats are wear items, and don't last forever. Our cars are now at around 7 years old, and the t-stats are a little "long in the tooth". It would be a good idea to replace your T-stat that way you know the T-stat is in control of your engines temperature instead of the outside weather. The new T-stat should be able to hold your engine temperature to around 92 Deg C even in the coldest of weather. BTW, my original T-stat was also rated for 92 Deg C, so no change from the original design temperature FWIW.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is Okay, Perhaps

Hi all.
I've owned my 2005 E320 CDI now for about 2 weeks. Love it. I've noted that the temp barely hovers around 70 degrees C per dash gauge. I've been thinking about the 92 degree thermostat upgrade. The weather is warmer now. Yesterday I drove from NYC to DC. It was 85 degrees F outside and temp reading on the dash was right at 90C. Will the new thermostat have a different operating result in cooler weather ie 90C?
-Bill

Hello Bill. Welcome to those of us who have indeed seen the light!

Sounds like your thermostat may or may not be functioning correctly. :confused:

When we bought our CDI from the original owner, I was sure that the original thermostat
was frozen in the 'open' position and that turned out to be correct.
During December and January, when the outside temps. were in the high forties F. and on the interstate,
the dash gauge would read only 40 C., not nearly what it should be for maximum efficiency. :(

Since replacing it with the Wahler(A complete housing) part number 410174.92D, it always,
after fully warming up, is at 80 degrees C or slightly higher by the dash gauge.
The original Betr housing has 92 C stamped on it, so the 92 C is not an upgrade.
92 C is the standard thermostat temperature for our CDIs.

The only way for you to be sure that your thermostat is operating perferctly is to do as
others have done and check the actual coolant temperature with a thermometer.
Perhaps your sensor may not be 'spot-on'?

Good luck and keep us posted please.

Tell us all about your 'new' CDI. Details please.

Regards,

Derrel

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Just had a second to take a closer look at my old T-stat from the E320 CDI. Turns out that it does come apart, and fairly easily at that. When you look at the back of the housing, the arched aluminum insert can be gently pried out. Once that is out of the way you can use a screwdriver to push down on the stainless tabs that are directly under the back of the t-stat and give it a slight twist and it will release from the housing. It would be interesting to see if Wahler has a insert that is the same but has a 2-4 Deg C higher rating.

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
Hello Bill....
....... Tell us all about your 'new' CDI. Details please.
Regards,
Derrel
Last fall I found a 2010 Jetta TDi 6 speed with 10k miles from original owner for $19k. The dude was a wierdo and ended up refusing to sell the car after we agreed on terms.

Got me thinking about the 05/06 CDI's again. I took 4+ months to find the right one at the right price.

$19k with 70k miles from original owner black/black, all records, Harmon Kardon, heated seats, CD changer. Not too loaded up.

Already done: KD Box

On the list of to do's:
- Waterpump (its weeping) and thermostat etc
- Install electronic EGR delete (built but not installed)
- HID headlights retrofit. Do it the right way with Hella projectors etc.
- Lastly figure out the bluetooth possibilities. The car was built in spring of
2004 no cradle or puck mount. Still reading to figure it out, so far not trivial to solve.

Thing is a monster with power. A little boaty. 37 MPG NYC to DC and back

There's the details (albeit buried in this thread)

-Bill

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A Good Deal . . .

Last fal,l I found a 2010 Jetta TDi 6 speed with 10k miles from the original owner for $19k.
The dude was a wierdo and ended up refusing to sell the car after we agreed on terms.
[That worked out for the best for you, didn't it? :p ]

Got me thinking about the 05/06 CDI's again.
I took 4+ months to find the right one at the right price.

$19k with 70k miles from original owner black/black, all records, Harmon Kardon, heated seats, CD changer. Not too loaded up.

Already done: KD Box [As in it is now chipped?

On the list of to do's:
- Waterpump (its weeping) and thermostat etc
- Install electronic EGR delete (built but not installed)
- HID headlights retrofit. Do it the right way with Hella projectors etc.
- Lastly figure out the bluetooth possibilities. The car was built in spring of
2004 no cradle or puck mount.
Still reading to figure it out, so far not trivial to solve.

Thing is a monster with power. A little boaty. 37 MPG NYC to DC and back

There's the details (albeit buried in this thread)

-Bill

These cars are out there for those of us who will take the time and search for the right car.

I got lucky and found mine in December for $17.8K. More miles were on it at 109.7K and it now has 115K.
It's an original California MBZ imported from the Chicago area when it was brands new.
A little later production, as in November 2004. VIN: . . . 7 2 1 1 6 9
As you may know, these CDIs were not sold new in CA, MA, ME, NY, and VT.
But that did not keep the 'smart people' who wanted one from going out-of-state and
buying one new and registering them with a friend/relative until they had
7,500 miles on their odometers and then registering them as used here.

Same equipment as yours more or less except I do not think I have the same radio.
My original Monroney sticker says: 9-Speaker Audio System with AM/FM Single Disc CD.
Then as an option, Code 819, 6-Disc CD Changer (Factory Installed) for only $420 extra.
So I guess I do not have your Harmon Kardon radio, do I?
Does you radio have the weather band?

I've added Sirius Satellite Radio and the original speakers sound pretty darn nice. I'm happy.

If yours is 'floaty,' you could go to heavy duty Bilsteins.
I like the ride mine has and I run the tires at 38 front, 40 rears cold.

Also, would like to go to a HID headlights retrofit as the originals lack proper lighting.
Let me know how you do that when you get around to doing it!

And tell me about the gains you experienced with the KD Box?

Also, how you do the electronic EGR delete (built, but not installed)?
The thermostat is not at all difficult to do, and it seems like all of these older CDIs need that.

The stupid dealer that serviced this car for the original owner WILL NOT tell
me what was done and what was not done and what is now needed.

I know when it was serviced (21 times) according to the CarFax
report I have, but not all that was or was not done.

Do you know any way I can get that information? :confused:

Thanks and welcome aboard.

Derrel