Can I run my 1998 Jetta Tdi run on Biodiesel?

Efrain

TDI
Is search of TDI Jetta Wagon or TDI Golf
Hi there,

I just bought a 1998 Jetta TDI with the intention of using Biofuels. I want to start using Biodiesel right away but I am not sure if I have to change some of the hoses. I have heard different opionions about this. Some people say it is ok to use biodiesel with out any changes to a 1998 jetta, others say is better to replace the hoses. I know that older models use rubber hoses which eventually corrode and start leaking, and newer models come with sintetic hoses which resit the use of biodiesel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Efrain

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can use biodiesel in that vehicle just fine. The only rubber lines are the small return lines between the injectors. All the other fuel lines are plastic.

-Jason

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Welcome, you'll be just fine. Might want to keep an eye on the inter-injector lines. If they are original they are due for a changeout but the B100 might just push them over the line.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
"Might want to keep an eye on the inter-injector lines. "

When you do replace these, use the stock lines. They'll last for years.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
The other thing to look for is the solvent effect of the biodiesel; it may dissolve all the crap in your fuel tank, lines etc and move it to your fuel filter.

Have a spare on hand and change your existing filter soon.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
"'d go with Viton myself."

Hi RC,

iirc, someone who tried this found the squishy Viton slipped off and made a mess. Is there a way to avoid this?

tdiengine

TDI
2006.5tdi
Dont forget a spare fuel filter

Efrain said:
Hi there,

I just bought a 1998 Jetta TDI with the intention of using Biofuels. I want to start using Biodiesel right away but I am not sure if I have to change some of the hoses. I have heard different opionions about this. Some people say it is ok to use biodiesel with out any changes to a 1998 jetta, others say is better to replace the hoses. I know that older models use rubber hoses which eventually corrode and start leaking, and newer models come with sintetic hoses which resit the use of biodiesel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Efrain
Please dont forget to have a spare fuel filter.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
BioDiesel said:
"'d go with Viton myself."
Hi RC,
iirc, someone who tried this found the squishy Viton slipped off and made a mess. Is there a way to avoid this?
I've installed more viton than I'd care to imagine and never had a hose slip off. Did the guy have the correct hose and size?

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
tdiengine said:
Please don't forget to have a spare fuel filter.
As one who drives a diesel should... no matter what type of fuel they burn.

The clogged filter thing is way overblown, a rarity.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I cannot agree with RC enough -- Drive a diesel? Carry a fuel filter!

This is even more true with the newest generation of diesels. The local Dodge dealership is seeing a LOT of Sprinters coming in with clogged fuel filters. They say it is because the filtration is so fine that they clog more easily than those of the past. I have had my Sprinter fuel filter clog on my twice. Due to the scarcity of that filter, I always keep a plare and the tools in the van. Same with my TDI and my motorhome.