Golf or jetta

HLC

TDI
2001 Golf
Hey guys I am new to the forum. I am planning on buying a car and cant decide between a golf or a jetta and wondered if anyone has any advice.
I am planning on getting one made between 2000 and 2003

Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
They are basically the same car underneath the sheetmetal. Pick one that suits your needs.
Do you need a wagon then it's jetta. If you need a hatchback jetta wagon or golf. Rearward visability is much better in jetta wagon and golf.
Stock headlights on golfs are decidedly better.
If these things don't matter to you buy the one in the best condition you can afford.
Automatics in both are weak in both so I would shy away from those.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yes certainly. A Golf or a Jetta is a good choice if you want a Dub. If you want a Polo, then you are SOL in N/A.

The "what you want" part is up to you.

Hwycruiser

TDI
I've owned both and prefer the Golf. It's more fun to drive with a "sporty" feel. Without the weight of the trunk, the car feels more nimble, plus it has more ways to load cargo. The downside to no trunk - it's a bit unnerving to have all these big SUVs and pickups that are so popular to tailgate you, since without the trunk they appear to be so close. The interior on the Golf seems a little nicer. A Golf will be harder to find since they sold fewer units in the U.S.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I prefer the Mk4 Golf over the Jetta for looks, utility, etc. However, I dislike how dirty the back window gets on the Golf. Otherwise, they're the same car.

I prefer them with a 5spd, and without a sunroof.:D

HLC

TDI
2001 Golf
I prefer the Mk4 Golf over the Jetta for looks, utility, etc. However, I dislike how dirty the back window gets on the Golf. Otherwise, they're the same car.
I prefer them with a 5spd, and without a sunroof.:D
I already know that i want manual but why do you say without a sunroof?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
People dislike the sunroof because of the headaches when drains get plugged or disconnected, seal on the sunroof starts to leak or motor does not close completely. Any of these things can lead to water stains, rust and mold.
Don't forget forgetting to close it.

HLC

TDI
2001 Golf
That makes sense. i probably wont let that be a deal breaker either way. i have heard that the 2000 - 2003 are more reliable then the years soon after that. is that true?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Use the search function if you want more in depth analysis but yes ALH is better but BEW is still a good engine. In the end find the car in the best condition that you can afford.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I own THREE Golfs (total of FOUR in the family- "oddball" car is our Jetta wagon).

A HUGE difference is the headlights. If you get a Jetta you're pretty much going to have to go with different headlights- seems HIDs are about the only thing that makes enough of a difference: I installed HIDs in the wagon. My Golfs all have regular halogen bulbs and put out good light.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I already know that i want manual but why do you say without a sunroof?
Because a worthless sunroof adds unnecessary complexity and potential maintenance costs to the car.

The regular short sunroofs aren't to bad for brutalizing your bank account, but the Pano sunroof as on a JSW can add thousand$ in maintenance cost down the road.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think the Jetta is prettier and the Golf is more functional. Get a wagon. I wish mine was a 2-door Golf.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've had both, after the 3d gen, the Golf is better.

Here's why:

Headlights

Rear headroom.

Outward visibility.

Trunk opening.

If I had to have one car, there is ZERO chance it could ever be a small sedan. There is just too many times I have put stuff in my Golf that would not have ever fit in a Jetta. At least the earlier Jettas still had the same roof line in back, it did not sweep down chopping off the rear head room, and they were still a "3 box" sedan, with lots of easy sight out of the rear window, and had a giant trunk for a small car (actually, the trunk on my A2 Jetta is bigger than my B5 Passat!).

Push mower, chairs, shop sink, a big ZF transmission, and even a 1Z 4 cyl TDI engine... complete, fully dressed, turbo and all, will fit in the back of a Golf. :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
^ ^ ^ ^
GO GOLF!

Amazing what you can get in the back of one. Add a hitch and
roof racks and it gets downright astonishing what you can haul.
{:eek:)

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I've had both, after the 3d gen, the Golf is better.
Here's why:
Headlights
Rear headroom.
Outward visibility.
Trunk opening.
If I had to have one car, there is ZERO chance it could ever be a small sedan. There is just too many times I have put stuff in my Golf that would not have ever fit in a Jetta. At least the earlier Jettas still had the same roof line in back, it did not sweep down chopping off the rear head room, and they were still a "3 box" sedan, with lots of easy sight out of the rear window, and had a giant trunk for a small car (actually, the trunk on my A2 Jetta is bigger than my B5 Passat!).
Push mower, chairs, shop sink, a big ZF transmission, and even a 1Z 4 cyl TDI engine... complete, fully dressed, turbo and all, will fit in the back of a Golf. :)
Very well put!!

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
I have both, and while I like the hatch for hauling some taller items, it sadly doesn't hold my golf clubs without pulling the driver out of the bag lol. Since I like to leave my clubs in the car I prefer the Jetta, at least in the summer.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
or... mk4 jetta wagon.. are you not considering a wagon OP?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Hey guys I am new to the forum. I am planning on buying a car and cant decide between a golf or a jetta and wondered if anyone has any advice.
I am planning on getting one made between 2000 and 2003
Go Golf. Better functionality

I once owned a 2003 Golf GSL. Loved it X 10

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I own a 2000 Jetta and it really has not had any limitations for space. The pssanger seat can be pulled almost to the dash, the rear seats fold flat OR can be totally removed, and where the golf is more square behind the seats, the Jetta seems to have a deeper trunk despite being obviously shorter height wise.

I've had two riding lawnmowers in my Jetta at the same time. They were partially disassembled, with the deck, seat, and wheels off, but it worked. I utilized a lot of the back seat space (with seats removed). I also carry a folded 22' ladder in it from time to time.

It's not a truck, but save for hauling mulch and gravel, I've never been limited by the trunk's size.

My $0.02.

I also own a golf, though that will never haul anything so long as the Jetta works.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
also, don't immediately dismiss the idea of a hitch and trailer setup for your golf or jetta. Plenty of info on that here.