Engine starts, but will not run

AtlantaMax

TDI
New Beetle, 02, Dark Gray
I read the TDIFAQs and found no answer to this problem.

'02 NB, 30K, 1/4 tank of fuel, OSAT 36. Car parked in drive way with slight up hill grade. This is not the first time this year that the temp has been this cold. No problems in the past.

Car was driven for 30 minutes then stopped for 5 minutes. Now engine will start but shuts down after about 2 seconds. I can press accelarator pedel and RPM will jump, but engine still shuts down after 2 seconds.

Any thoughts before I call for the tow truck?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Sounds like an immobilizer problem. I have read similar stories as yours. It is the ring around the key that may not be detecting the chip in the key being used. It will start, but shut down immediately. Does your immo light on the dash stay on when all the others go out? Have you tried a different key maybe? It should still be under warranty, so the dealer will probably be able to take care of it. Do you have roadside assistance? I don't know about VW, but with my Pontiac, I have 3 years/60k roadside assistance if I need a tow.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Agree, that's exactly what the immobilizer does. Try a different key and try several times, it might work intermittantly.

What's OSAT?

OneBadBug

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle
Had that problem in my 01 NB.

The instrument cluster picks up the code from the key.

Litfolk

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
We have a similar problem.

Our '00 NB TDI immobilizer decides to prevent us from starting our car at the most irritating times. It happens about once a month. Is there a way to immobilize the immoblizer? We have two keys and a new alternator (which the dealer said would solve this problem). I've read (somewhere) that the wiring harness in the steering column could be the culprit. Has anyone had a similar problem with their immoblizer and actually solved it by replacing the wiring from the ignition to the ecu? If not, how do you solve this problem.

I don't want to sell the car. Any ideas?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
It sounds like immobilizer to me too. But try your valet key as it is stupid, ie does not talk to the immobilizer.

Litfolk

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Really? That will work?

I bought the car used and it didn't come with a valet key. If that's a way of ensuring that we can start the car (it didn't just now when my wife went to try it), I'll get one on Monday.

I like the idea of a stupid key. The smart ones aren't that intelligent.

AtlantaMax

TDI
New Beetle, 02, Dark Gray
Well, Dealer replaced the Engine Control Module (ECM) and all is well. Will have to keep my fingers crossed that was the real problem.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
[ QUOTE ]
But try your valet key as it is stupid, ie does not talk to the immobilizer.

[/ QUOTE ]This is not true. Any key that starts the car must talk to the immobilizer.

Someone posted a TSB from 00 that mentions an emergency start procedure involving entering the secret key code (the one from the little scratch-off tab that came with the car) into the cluster via the clock and odometer reset knobs. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Litfolk

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Thanks for the bit about the valet key. I don't want to spend any more money than I need to. Anyway, I've done some poking around on the web and it looks like for the '00 New Beetle does have a read-out of some kind through the odometer, but it's not a work-around for entering the key code. Although, by god, I wish it were. The car's immobilizer kept us from driving it again yesterday.

One other tidbit I found suggested replacing the cluster as that's a component in the system that reads the key's code. Anyone know about this? I don't want to spend $500 and not get anywhere (literally).

Litfolk

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Okay, new info here!

Found this info on another thread at newbeetle.org:
newbeetle.org thread

"I looked at the original key stuff given me by the Dealer at the time of purchase and found the code to override the immobilizer (its a four digit number found under a gray lottery ticket-like scratch field on the black tag on the original key set). This number is used to override the immobilizer by 'entering' it into the car's computer (I liken this to an Easter Egg!!!!) .. push the trip odometer button and hold it down, it goes to zero and within a few seconds begins counting up. Stop at the four digit code and you've overriden the immobilizer. "

To clarify: you have to hold down the button until you get the 4 zeros, then you punch it until you get the first number in, then hold it in until the number registers in the first position, then, when the first one's in, punch in the second digit, etc.

This does not solve whatever is causing the problems, but at least I won't have to tow or pay for towing again because of it.
/images/graemlins/ooo.gif