Another MKIV hitch question

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Planning on buying a boler to tow behind my Jetta. I've done lot of reading with no definitive answers as to "the best" solution as there are variables to what people tow. Boler generalized weight is 1000lbs dry but for loaded and age rate let's say 1500. Generally classified they recommend a class 1 hitch. I'll be converting the boler to 2" receiver. I'm concerned over the mounting of normal curt/Uhaul/drawtite hitches to the unibody. Leaning towards the bosal due to that fact. But the tongue weight of the bosal at 75kg or around 160lbs might be too little. Any input from the pros would be welcome. I'm not interested in fab work either.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I like my Bosal hitch. 3300 pound rating, not sure what the tongue weight rating is, and I think the Golfs handle that better than the Jettas do, due to the rear axle being closer to the hitch. But I am sure I have had at least 300 pounds or so (tongue weight) on it, never been an issue. It is very sturdy, and attaches to the unibody rails where Volkswagen intended, the holes are already there.

I've used it quite a bit. I use it more than I thought I would, actually, because the car is so strong and still is frugal on fuel. I occasionally drag other cars via tow dolly with it.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Thank you sir, exactly the answer I was looking for. Upon further Google searching the original manual for the trailer in question says 1250gvw and 90 tongue, so even if it's higher, which it usually is I think the bosal is the better choice. Thanks.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Oooo second question looming, the bosal hitch ball is 1 31/32" or 50mm. Standard receiver size here is 2". I've read you cannot mix the two, especially the receiver larger than the ball. Is this true? How do you towers get around this?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Love my Bosal, a bit of a pain to install, but rock solid when done.
I've found 2" receivers, the female part of the equation, work fine.
1 7/8" couplers do not.

Pfjones.co.uk is where I got mine. It was cheaper with air freight than
any I could fine here.

Cheers,
R*2

oilhammer

TDI
I have had no trouble running 2" trailer hitches on my Metric ball. Some of them you may have to tighten them up (most have an adjustment) to get them a bit tighter.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have seen failures from worn out 2" balls and 2" receivers. Never heard of any failures on the 50mm balls, but sample size is small so hard to say.

A lot of receivers have an adjustment to them. Simpler ones found on utility trailers there is usually a nut that you tighten to take up slack between the jaw and socket. Probably over looked and good thing for all of us to check at least during yearly trailer service. Maybe whenever you adjust the brakes and repack the wheel bearings.

Jason

oilhammer

TDI
I lot of people tow with dry balls, too. They should be lubricated, just like any other metal-on-metal surface. I know Reese has a special tow ball lubricant, but it looks to me a lot like the blue-black grease used in CV joints.

I just use thick wheel bearing grease.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Oooo second question looming, the bosal hitch ball is 1 31/32" or 50mm. Standard receiver size here is 2".
50mm = 1.9685" while 1-31/32" = 50.00625mm

2" = 50.8mm

So you're talking about a difference of 0.79375mm = .03125" (a.k.a. 1/32")

Not enough of a difference to really worry about if receiver and ball are both up to snuff. Don't over think this...

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Dry balls! Blasphemy. Agreed though, I've read conflicting information about the shape of the balls being different enough to cause some concern, not just size. At the end of the day if it's an issue I'll just cut the receiver off and weld a new one on. Waiting impatiently this week for it to arrive now.

Hwycruiser

TDI
I have the Bosal hitch on my Golf. I have found the 2" ball to be a non issue. If you load your trailer properly, the tongue weight and the adjustment keeps it secure. I cannot tell any difference between the sizes. I did run into a problem with my CarryOn trailer. Its the perfect lightweight trailer with a mesh floor (mesh is very strong). Its downside is it comes with a 1 7/8 hitch which is probably common with other small trailers. I had to remove the hitch and replace it with a 2". I also agree that the Golf makes a good tow vehicle. You can load up the tongue weight and it barely squats.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I also agree that the Golf makes a good tow vehicle. You can load up the tongue weight and it barely squats.
If squat becomes a problem, just start searching for AirLift threads. Summer of 2015, my wife and I loaded up and hauled our 5x8 galvanized utility trailer from Florida to Northern Maine (a gallon or two short of Canada, 2k miles one-way). http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4966499&postcount=2470

Spring of 2016, I squeezed an AirLift setup into the rear coils of the MkV. Summer of 2016, I loaded the same trailer and made the trip solo with another huge load of stuff. It was a much more pleasurable trip with the AirLift setup keeping the safety chain hooks and receiver from dragging out of every filling station. Getting out of Florida isn't rough, but the frost heaves in the NE are a different story in mid-spring.

The load for 2017 includes a 3-pt New Holland finish mower.

I've got an AirLift kit for the MkIV Wagon sitting in the garage, waiting for install.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Definitely! I did in fact purchase an airlift 80777 kit to complement the hitch. I figured with the size of the trailer I intend on towing it would be much better. Especially with my current suspension set up. Last summer I was rubbing fender with a loaded car with kids in the back.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Hitch should be here by Friday, going to go pick up my wiring today and get that part of it done. I'll be wiring a powered 4 pin adapter, as well as a 7 pin blade style adapter for my trailer. My question for that is the 7 pin adapter has a 12v+ pin/separate wire for what I'm assuming to trailer power/battery charging.
I can't use fogs due to my fmic so can I wire a relay to my euro switch to switch the 12v power?
Edit: nevermind, I wired the hot for the 7 pin adapter directly to the battery with 12awg wire and a 25 amp dedicated fuse. As well as a switched wire for the converter. Works great! Thanks again for this great community. Where ever I would be without it.

Last edited:

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Any ideas on safety chain mounting ideas? Id like to be able to cross under and attach on either side. Found a very good idea on passatworld, but unfortunately the clearance and design of the hitch on the Jetta sedan are less than optimal. The hitch is almost touching the body, and is almost butt against the bumper cover as well, so clearance is NIL. Would the DOT's accept a noose wrap around the hitch? Id rather fashion a proper mount for hooks.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
This was my solution:

In hindsight I might have been better off welding on slightly larger loops. I have a pair of quick links in the trunk that I can attach to these. It hangs down lower so you dont need to reach up under the bumper to attach safety chains. They got a liberal dose of antiseize on the threads.

Reese 5000 LBS Quick Links

Last edited:

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
My concern was the chains rubbing on the swan neck disconnect. Any issue with that?