2015 Golf TDI vs modded 2000 Jetta TDI comparison?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has driven both, either a stock 2015 or stage 1/2 (without turbo upgrade) and how it compares to a modded mk4 with similar mods as in my signature.

17/22, .230, stage 5 26psi etc.

Driving quite a lot again and the mk7s have caught my eye but if it just drives similar power wise to my Jetta then it doesn't really make sense. More creature comforts would be nice though.

6 speed or DSG doesn't matter, seat of the pants does! [emoji16][emoji6]

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
A vnt17 hybrid alh feels a lot quicker, but it's not. ALH VNT1749vb with colt cam, aggressive fueling, 24-25 psi, fmic etc will make around 160-165/310-330 on our dyno. An ea288 will do that with a clean tail pipe and stock hardware.

Far more CJAAs floating around so there's more parts and performance support. Starting to see them popping up in the 7-10 range in the lower mainland.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I have both ;)
I seem to find myself driving my '15 a lot more than the '01 Jetta. The Jetta is still fun, but it's the creature comforts that keep me in the Golf more often. Doesn't help that my job has me flying more than driving as well the past couple years. The Golf also has a bigger turbo now than the Jetta, so it's been hard not driving it all the time :)

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Ah I see, so cjaa is from 2010 onwards, correct? I noticed there is quite a lot of those around the lower mainland for pretty good prices. Might have to build a sleeper wagon with a 2260 or the like.

I'd like to go with a 2016 Golf R but don't want to get hosed on fuel economy, reports are all over the place with some only getting 20mpg and others reporting over 30 which I could live with.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I have both ;)
I seem to find myself driving my '15 a lot more than the '01 Jetta. The Jetta is still fun, but it's the creature comforts that keep me in the Golf more often. Doesn't help that my job has me flying more than driving as well the past couple years. The Golf also has a bigger turbo now than the Jetta, so it's been hard not driving it all the time :)
I found some nice Highline 2015s with the lighting package and all the good stuff minus android auto but I guess that is only a minor setback.

Going back and forth with all those choices [emoji51]

If the TDI had 4motion it would be a no brainer for sure.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
2015 without a question. It won't give you the same punch in the pants that a mk4 can but it'll be faster, more comfortable, cleaner, more refined, last longer, overall better investment.

DSG is the way forward in my opinion.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Just chiming in to say that I love our 15 Golf. I used to have a stock ALH car, and I haven't driven a tuned one so I can't comment on that, but I will say that the 2015 even in stock form has plenty of power. And I will also say that it is a very refined car, extremely quiet, comfortable, and with DEF gets over 45mpg pretty regularly. It is a much more comfortable and quiet car than my 2013 JSW CJAA for what it's worth.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Thanks, looks like a 2015 with the lighting package would do me well then if I decide to go that route.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I don’t know about an ALH, but my Mk4 BEW with VNT17 and Malone stage 4 feels faster than my wife’s stock 2015 Golf TDI with DSG.

Also, it should be. 2015 has 150 hp and 248 lb-ft of torque and the 2004 is supposed to be around 160hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. It probably weighs less too. A little more power and a little less weight = faster.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
DSG can make up for a pretty decent power/weight deficit against a MT/slushbox if people are just looking at 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Damn it, now I'm all wiffle waffling again between the R and TDI.[emoji16]

It seems though, at least in Canada, that there aren't any 15s with paddle shifters, even the Highline trim, or am I wrong???

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have both, both with stock turbos. The '15 has Rocketchip Stage 1, the '02 has RC3+, 11mm pump, PP357s, PD150 breathing. I agree with Owain, the '02 feels faster but probably isn't. The tuned '15 makes more power (probably 160/260 at the wheels, compared to 140/260 at the wheels for the '02), but it's heavier. And the '02 pulls better in top gear because in part the '15 is a 6 speed. But the responsiveness of the ALH is hard to beat. I originally wasn't going to get the '15 tuned, but it felt so flat at tip in and when accelerating from lower revs in top gear that I was unhappy with it. The tune made it much better, but still not rotary pump like. My B4 feels more responsive around town.

Honestly I still prefer the MKIV for all reasons. Proof is that I've had the '15 for nearly 3 years and it has 13K on it. I've put over 60K on my ALH in that time.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Damn it, now I'm all wiffle waffling again between the R and TDI.[emoji16]

It seems though, at least in Canada, that there aren't any 15s with paddle shifters, even the Highline trim, or am I wrong???

I rode in a 420hp performance pack GTI on Sunday. It had a bigger turbo (hybrid IS38 I believe) with additional port injection, and that thing just pulled like crazy all the way to redline. If you're looking for strictly power, then the R is where to go. I really like my TDI efficiency though, and even though my tune isn't done it really impressed a couple of the TDI owners that were there.