Going to make homemade downpipe for 2015 Jetta TDI. Looking for help.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
Hi in the near future I will be fabbing up my own downpipe and exhaust at home, I will be copying rawtek's design, so I will just buy pre-bent pipe sections through ebay, cut them and weld them together in the same fashion as rawtek's downpipe and exhaust. It will be a fun experience and I will save loads of cash by making it myself, Rawtek asks $600 for the downpipe and by buying my own material and welding it myself I can probably spend $150-200. So I've got my mind set on doing this.

I have the 2015 Jetta TDI with the CR150 turbo.

So what I would like to figure out is:
1. The diameter of the turbine outlet - it looks like 2.75" v-band but I can't tell for sure.
2. The thread pitches of the sensors, - I'm assuming this would only be the O2 sensor(s) since I'll be deleting the DPF, and EGR, I'm thinking I may want to keep the DEF system so I can at least be a little green with my soot spitting Diesel. So maybe that also, I'm not sure where the adblue is injected. I'm assuming it's possible to delete both DPF and EGR but leave DEF in?

I'm hoping to have the Jetta in my shop on the weekend and be driving it by Monday hence why I'm trying to figure out all the specs beforehand, if I had another car to drive I would just pull the turbo out and find out the specs myself but I can't do that at the moment, so if anyone has this knowledge on hand that would be awesome! I'm aware I'll need to tune due to the deletes and I've already got that figured out. Thanks.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Not to be a dick but that's great you are making your own. I made one for a Benz however. You are asking for ALOT of free info. These guys spent alot of time making this stuff fit. Yeah you can make one but a whole weekend to save money when you look at the time vs cost savings it doesn't add up. If I were to do again I'd just buy the dp and.finish from there back. I have a buzzken dp and it's simple, looking. I assume you have mandrel bender.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
Not really sure how that's a lot of info but all right, it's just some simple dimensions. How is me making one myself ripping off rawtek lol? If I had $2000 laying around for an exhaust and delete kit, sure I'd use it, but I would prefer to save my money where I can. I mean $600 for a few pieces of bent pipe welded together for $600 just seems like highway robbery to me. Sure it looks nice, sure it fits perfect, but still not worth it to me. I do not have a mandrel bender, I buy my materials on ebay. When I made the turboback exhaust on my Tiburon I bought pre-mandrel bent pipe sections on ebay, cut and welded them together myself. That's what I will do, but I will use pictures of rawtek's exhaust to go off of.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
I'm guessing that getting this information will be like pulling teeth, so it looks like I may just be pulling the turbo out..

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I'm thinking that the reason this info is so hard to find is because no one else has done it before.

I agree with you. I think that the $ for a down pipe is plenty. Rawteck, Bussken and Darkside all want around the same money. For my part it doesn't need to be made out of stainless but I don't know if just a steel one would be significantly cheaper.

I would see if you can't find factory down pipe from a recycler or even one from VW dealer who would sell you one out of their garbage bin. Then set it up in a jig, cut away what you don't need and then weld it all back together.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
I'm thinking that the reason this info is so hard to find is because no one else has done it before.

I agree with you. I think that the $ for a down pipe is plenty. Rawteck, Bussken and Darkside all want around the same money. For my part it doesn't need to be made out of stainless but I don't know if just a steel one would be significantly cheaper.

I would see if you can't find factory down pipe from a recycler or even one from VW dealer who would sell you one out of their garbage bin. Then set it up in a jig, cut away what you don't need and then weld it all back together.
Exactly what I’m saying I just don’t make enough money right now to buy the $1500 exhaust/delete kit for my Jetta. I would love to buy it because bolt ons really save the headache of fabbing, and it makes sense to spend good money on good mods for a newish car, but I’m planning to spend some time and lay some good welds and I’ll paint over the welds with high temp paint so they don’t rust. It will be just as good if not better than the rawtek, just wont be as pretty. One of the big things I’m making my own instead of buying rawtek’s is I don’t like how theirs tapers down to 2.5” at the end of the exhaust. I’m planning to do 3” pipe all the way from the turbo to the bumper. And I can weld in my own muffler of choice.

Ktmracer358

TDI
2012 golf, 2013 jetta
I honestly thought about doing the same thing on my mk6 I was debating on cutting the flange off the current dpf and using on the mandrel pipe I buy

Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using Tapatalk

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
I honestly thought about doing the same thing on my mk6 I was debating on cutting the flange off the current dpf and using on the mandrel pipe I buy

What did you end up doing, or what stopped you? I could do that but I would like to keep the DPF as is just in case I need to revert back to stock or I could sell it along with the cat and get some of my money back spent on the exhaust

Ktmracer358

TDI
2012 golf, 2013 jetta
To be honest I don't have the funds to do the tune and the delete. And it's hard to give up the extended warranty. I'm in a place that I want to either leave it stock or do the deletes and go to cp3. Then just drive it forever.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
That’s true the extended emissions is nice, but I figured once I’m done doing the deletes there’s not really any emissions equipment left so might as well lol. The tune is expensive also hence why I’m trying to save money by making the exhaust myself. I was also able to get the Flashzilla tuner off my friend so I just need to buy the actual tune, not sure if I’d get a discount or not since I have the tuner. I’m kinda planning the same, I want to get a buttload of mods done right now and then when I’m done just daily it and keep up on maintenance.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I'm interested in what you are doing here because we are within one oil change of being done with warranty. (320,000 km's) I also don't want to spend lots of $ on the drop pipe. One thing I need to do yet is google the part numbers. Sometimes you can get cheaper prices by shopping around.

Ktmracer358

TDI
2012 golf, 2013 jetta
That’s true the extended emissions is nice, but I figured once I’m done doing the deletes there’s not really any emissions equipment left so might as well lol. The tune is expensive also hence why I’m trying to save money by making the exhaust myself. I was also able to get the Flashzilla tuner off my friend so I just need to buy the actual tune, not sure if I’d get a discount or not since I have the tuner. I’m kinda planning the same, I want to get a buttload of mods done right now and then when I’m done just daily it and keep up on maintenance.
Becides the exhaust components I'm only worries about the high pressure fuel pump.

Denig

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
If I get this worked out I’ll try to remember to update the thread or start a new one with the dimensions and the end product if anyone else may be considering doing what I will do.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
If I get this worked out I’ll try to remember to update the thread or start a new one with the dimensions and the end product if anyone else may be considering doing what I will do.
Thanks for that! If you do start a new thread then please include the link to that thread in this one.