MK7 Golf Build

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sweet, nothing a good tune shouldn't fix. Hope you can share some dyno results when you get a chance.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Sweet, nothing a good tune shouldn't fix. Hope you can share some dyno results when you get a chance.
I think they dyno operator where I take it is getting tired of seeing me :D
Super nice people and really clean shop, but he has trouble starting off in 4th gear on the dynapack. He almost gave up the last time and wanted to say it was the tuning until he got it going!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that a hub dyno? I'm not at all familiar with those. On the Mustang dyno's I've used you can start in first and go up through the gears on the roller. For your big turbo you might actually get better loading/spool in 5th gear.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a hub dyno which is harder to start and shift gears, and last time I was there we talked about extending the runs to get more load put on it. All my base runs and the gtd1752 were 6 seconds which is pretty short. I'll ask him next time to try 10-12 seconds though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Went out and did some logging with boost, egt, fuel pressure and had some 4500rpm low fuel rail pressure codes send me into limp mode. Couple days later logged just boost and actuator % and was able to romp on it with zero codes set or limp mode at low rpm/high boost request. Several runs through the gears, a couple 3rd gear runs from 1500rpm to 4800, and a 4th gear from 1800-4500rpm with no codes or limp mode set. Was pretty surprised. Even on the current tune meant for the 1752vrk, this thing is inching close to 900C EGT on the very high end. Boost is also getting to 2.5bar on a 2.1 requested but only after 3500rpm or so (2.3-2.4bar will be the target I believe) . Have probably put about 800 miles on the car since install and everything is going well.

Just waiting to get an updated tune, response isn't quite right when trying to get into it quickly unless it's at really high rpm. I'm hoping it can get a bit more lively by 2500rpm and transient response restored somewhat as this thing is practically smokeless no matter how hard I try. I'm not expecting it to be anywhere as responsive as the 1752, but I definitely think there's room for more.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure a good 2260 specific tune will make a big improvement. Though the 1752vrk probably did spoil you somewhat as far as transient response and spool goes. All that top end should more than make up for a few extra downshifts.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sure a good 2260 specific tune will make a big improvement. Though the 1752vrk probably did spoil you somewhat as far as transient response and spool goes. All that top end should more than make up for a few extra downshifts.
Just the first tune update made a night and day difference! Car feels awesome, and tuning is still not finished so I'm pleasantly surprised at this point. Had my worst tank for fuel economy since before I had stock exhaust still in place...44.5mpg for a tank of almost exclusively datalogging haha!
Transient response (as long as you're in the proper revs) is actually really good with this turbo. 10psi by 2k rpm is plenty for getting around town, by ~2600rpm you have peak boost if you need it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, looks like I have a small exhaust leak coming from the turbine housing. Hard to tell if it's new or old so will keep an eye on it. No oil residue anywhere and oil level is perfectly normal.
Soot lightly covering the firewall and actuator in the pic as well as a little on the compressor housing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The 2260vklr should make easy 2 bar @2600-2700rpm if tuned correctly (at least on the old CR, dont know this new one).
For the leak maybe the oring is badly pressed inside or deformed and doesnt seal. That leak is not good.
Go into vcds and see voltages for the actuator at full open and closed.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
they have an o-ring in the turbine housing? I've seen the piston ring style seals in the later two-piece VNT housings but never an o-ring on the turbine side
I guess O-ring is not proper term. There is a large gasket on turbine side that keep the leaks from happening. I guess turbine gasket is more appropriate term.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
It does look like there is a piston ring style seal for this. I asked the assembler for details as I believe they need to make this right..it should not be leaking after only 3-4k miles. Starting to regret where I bought this from...these are basic assembly issues that should just not happen.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The 2260vklr should make easy 2 bar @2600-2700rpm if tuned correctly (at least on the old CR, dont know this new one).
For the leak maybe the oring is badly pressed inside or deformed and doesnt seal. That leak is not good.
Go into vcds and see voltages for the actuator at full open and closed.
Same on EA288, I get 2bar by 2600-2700rpm
I'm thinking the turbo is coming off to get looked at unfortunately. I think it's only leaking when cold, but still not acceptable. I have a shop that is local to me with a good reputation that can give it a look.
Voltage sweep was done and haven't had a single issue with that aspect since install.
1752vrk was 1360mv-3563mv
2260vklr is 313mv-3568mv

With tuning coming along, I have to say the car drives around town very similar to my ALH as far as initial tip-in goes. Obviously substantial power when needed requires higher rpm, but just regular calm driving is very pleasant here. I imagine it has everything to do with the stock tiny turbo (and even the 1752vrk) having a tendency to overspike and/or creep if you add that much fueling down low, so they require a much more tame approach to fuel delivery.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Small update: the exhaust leak stopped but I'll likely rebuild soon anyway...

I believe I have a rattling DMF (1752vrk might have beat it up early on before de-tuning). Only does it when cooler out for now but has become more and more frequent.

Solution for now is to replace with an 8-bolt DMF and match it with a CUAA (courtesy of Syncrogreg) coming from Europe. Should be a fun project. Toying with the idea of getting the current 2260vklr upgraded with 65mm compressor wheel. I don't think I want to venture down the 2872vrk path because I want some driveable boost down low still. I do still have a tubular manifold that could work with the BMW style version of that turbine inlet if I care to down the road. Added the CUAA intercooler, swapping my CP3 over, and maybe upgrading injectors?

The motor looks to be very complete with most sensors and a good bit of coolant hoses already in place. I'll be posting plenty of pics along the way as soon as it arrives.
Biggest difference between CUAA and CRUA is the cylinder head, cams, pistons with matching valve reliefs (that also lower compression slightly), and the CP4.2 that does 2500bar stock. If you try to find these components alone to swap onto CRUA, it ends up costing what this fresh crate motor runs! Tons of shared parts between the two variants, but a lot of $ to get the right ones to add significant power.
More to come!

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Sucks to hear that you're going to have to replace the DMF. That's gotta be a tough call on which clutch setup to go with...one will hold the power, but ruin the syncros(SMF) and the DMF doesn't like the low down torque that some of the smaller turbos make. :(

I'm not sure who you're sending your turbo to, to install the 65mm compressor wheel, but you could send it to Pioneering Performance and have them install their lightweight turbine wheel while they have it. ;)
https://pioneering-performance.com/collections/turbine-wheels/products/gtb2260vklr-upgrade-lightweight-turbine-wheel

I'm looking forward to seeing you swap in the CUAA to see how that one compares to your CRUA that you currently have in the car.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought the upgrading of the turbine wheels on these was what caused issues? Several threads saying oil was getting past the seals and going into the downpipe when upgrading the turbine? My turbo now has the standard turbine wheel, but billet compressor wheel and no oil consumption whatsoever compared to before..usually about a liter per 10k change interval.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I don't think there's as big an issue with these custom built turbine wheels. I took this from Pioneering Performance's site "GTB twin piston ring and shaft ground for VKLR fitment. Custom made by Pioneering Performance using temperature resistant Inconel for the most demanding of applications."
I could be wrong, but I believe that early on that there was only a single piston ring on the factory AMG turbine wheel that was being used, but don't quote me on that.;)

You could always email Adam at Pioneering Performance and get the scoop on the lightweight turbine wheels he offers. For what it's worth I have the lightweight AMG GT23 turbine wheel installed on the GTB2362VKLR going into my car hopefully by the end of the month. Hopefully in a month or so I can let you know how the turbo is doing.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
There are some good options for the VKLR and I've spoken with Adam a bit this past week, just have to figure out which would be best for this particular motor as I doubt anyone has used it with a single turbo. The factory compound setup would be awesome to have, but probably a nightmare to get running with the extra hardware on a car not designed with it. @Syncrogreg has a pretty awesome looking upgrade on his hill climbing beetle with larger LP & HP turbos. That's the ticket to great all around power IMO.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Little update: I'm feeling leery about the DMF option. There is an 8-bolt version for the 02Q that comes in the GTIs, but ZF (the actual manufacturer) has told me that the DMFs are "tuned" with different spring rates to match the motor they're designed for which makes total sense. They weren't able to tell me exactly the differences between the 6 (diesel) and 8 bolt (gas) versions that I gave them part numbers for. I have access to an 8-bolt GTI DMF to use for test fitting and I might need to attempt opening it up to see the innards and compare with my old stock DMF.
If they're drastically different, an SMF would require switching the 1-4 gear output shaft with appropriate brass synchros. Not a cheap workaround.

I find it interesting that the stock CUAA DMF is huge, and that an 11mm spacer is placed between the engine and DQ500. Always wondered if a "performance" DMF would exist...pretty sure this is it. Too bad it's only DSG and the wrong bolt count.

Last edited:

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
So I got mine dyno’d recently after dealing with a year long transmission nightmare. Can’t find the dyno sheet on my phone but it make 209hp and 370 ft/lbs.with a gtb2260 and cp3

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got mine dyno’d recently after dealing with a year long transmission nightmare. Can’t find the dyno sheet on my phone but it make 209hp and 370 ft/lbs.with a gtb2260 and cp3
I'd assume I'm similar with that same setup. Injectors next?
What was wrong with your transmission?

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
I’m looking at the darkside gtb2260 setup and a cp3 as well. Would this turbo benefit in power gains from their ported head or is it not worth the money?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a lot of money, but with ported head/larger valves, CP3, and injectors you should get closer to 280bhp (~240Whp).

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I'd assume I'm similar with that same setup. Injectors next?
What was wrong with your transmission?
Stock injectors. I kept destroying the 1st and 2nd synchros
But right the only issue it seems to be having is the hpfp can’t keep up with the fuel rail pressure at high rpm.