Help me pick a big turbo!

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Finally have some big turbo funds coming down the pipe..

Will be doing the head work and cams in the future to utilize the full potential.

Some options I've looked at are:

-Darkside's GTB2872vrk. Seems just too ridiculously big for any kind of street use and pricey. Looks like it's best suited for a drag car. But awesome. I almost want to drop the cash just to be the first in North America to have one.

-MecEvo in Quebec has a hybrid they call a CRT60. They say it's good for 300hp. Based off a GTD2060vklr. I'm skeptical about hybrids. But could be a really quick spooling unit.

-Malone should be coming out with their GTB2260VK kit soon. Well proven turbo. Unknown price point yet.

I really like the new GTD 5th gen VNT turbos. Seems like there isn't a good middle option between the GTD1756vrk and the GTD2872vrk.

If anyone has any information to help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
For the cr cars...depends on your ultimate goal. The 1756 is great...dont sell it short. If you really need that 300 hp, then a 2260 it is...or bigger. I personally think it can be done with a 2060 and the right hardware and tune....but most go with the 2260 as they are addicted to big numbers. Of course in all the choices, I like the vklr ones...but others will say its not worth it.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Do I need the 300hp? Heck, I don't need 200hp.

But I don't want the turbo to be a limiting factor. Yes, the GTD1756vrk is great, but what happens when the head work and cams are installed and we are pushing the limits?

Not sure how long it will be till the head work is done, but I hear billet cams are going to be available soon for CR TDI'S.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
DS turbo is ok for drag only and thats about it.

Gor for a gtd2060 welded on stock manifold, would be my choice now for a street car.
Avoid vklr ones if possible, only troubles with oil on exhaust and so on.

Profidiesel kit GTB2260VK at 1400 with exhaust , manifold ant converted turbo looks ok also, the best for the price asked and it can make 300hp.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Please explain further about the vklr problem with oil on the exhaust...

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I have a GTB2260vklr on the way with a new set of Colt stage 3 cams.

It's a sickness folks...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Usually oil in exhaust Side on a gtb2060vklr/2260vklr is due to the oil restrictior in the feed pipe, I tried many oil restrictions and I found 1mm oil reatrictor too small and 1.5 mm too big ! Also the closest to straight the oil drain is the less smoke from the exhaust... also watch the egt’s, I had a few that came undone and wrecked the compressor wheel and the locating pin on the VNT ring also sheared destroying the turbine wheel. For this reason I much preffer the old gtb2260vk, it’s a much more robust turbo in that respect !

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I agree. 2260vk is much better and robust and no issues with oil on exhaust.
Using 1mm restrictor now and still not ok. Turbo has to come off for a second time.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I went with the vklr for the extra spinny sounds when I turn it off.....

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
So the gtb2060vklr off the merc 350cdi I have in the garage...
How did merc stop oil going into the exhaust side then please?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
So the gtb2060vklr off the merc 350cdi I have in the garage...
How did merc stop oil going into the exhaust side then please?
Right? I still don't understand exactly what they are trying to say here. When I get my 2260vklr installed, I'll post how she does...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
For once the Mercedes has a main cat and a mighty DPF, the turbo is designed to work with back pressure. Add to that a near perfect vertical oil drain installation and they have no issue with smoke. Most aftermarket installations do use a 1mm oil reatrictor, too small and you cook he bearings, too much and it floods the engine on low boost and it smokes white/blue... it’s a trade off really, I did found the old vk turbos a lot more robust and with similar power outputs...if the engine is large enough To drive it then the transient doesn’t really matter !

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Totally agree with adams above. Something is not right with these vklr.
1mm restrictor plus almost vertical drain 10mm it should not smoke blue.
The hot housing is wet with oil, probably loosing oil from the twin rings.

Similar sized turbos will give you probably the same boost. Building a turbo on my own for the first time. Curious how it does.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting, so the the theory is that they need some backpressure or oil pushes through the exhaust side seals?

I'm running a high flow cat. A tiny bit of backpressure, but nothing like a DPF.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Will be a bit till I get it installed.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
DS turbo is ok for drag only and thats about it.
Have you tried it? NO

We are fitting them on plenty of Daily cars with great success.

Unless you have a full blown CR build it is too much turbo, a 2260 is perfect to work up as you change Fuel and air supply parts but will work fine on stock hardware too.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
DD with such a big turbo? wow, waiting or 3000rpm for the turbo to start spooling must be fun on a 5000rpm diesel
Imagine going with 3-4 passengers into a mountain ride, you have to pull 3rd gear because in 4th it dies. Not funny

Imo after changing a few turbos, the perfect choice remains the stock 2260 or latest 2060 since they have stock engines-fueling.

What good is it that i burn smokeless 130+ mg of fuel after 3500rpm but its dead under, useles..

Last edited:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Well. Wider your revband and you wont be struggeling. Just wondering how they can run gasoline engines at all when they spooling so late... :D Imagine some wonderful wonderbox where you can choose where you are on the revband. I wish all can afford it in some day

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
You just can not pull 5500rpm on a 380+ diesel with family in the car ..way too loud.
Thats why i would go with stock size turbo for daily cars.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I've heard some kind of magic things where loud sound goes in and not so loud sound comes out. What those might be?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Yeah, i bought a 3 chamber flowmaster deltaflow series 50 from usa, need to install it. maybe it makes a difference.

sltlytwkd

TDI
03 jetta
I made 209hp with my 1756vk, it did push a lot of oil too though. Stock everything but injectors, studs, and fmic. Swapped it for a 2260vk, barely can tell the difference in spool but wayyyy more top end pull where the 1756 flatlined. I wish I never even bothered with the 1756, I love the 2260!

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Luxemburg, heck we're neighbors! I'm just south of Green Bay in Wrightstown.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I made 209hp with my 1756vk, it did push a lot of oil too though. Stock everything but injectors, studs, and fmic. Swapped it for a 2260vk, barely can tell the difference in spool but wayyyy more top end pull where the 1756 flatlined. I wish I never even bothered with the 1756, I love the 2260!
Now you have me re-thinking my idea to go with a GTB1756VK or GTD1752VRK... I might have to go up a size.

Luxemburg, heck we're neighbors! I'm just south of Green Bay in Wrightstown.
Sturgeon Bay here and I'm hosting a cruise/gtg on October 20th, so why don't we all have some fun cruising the back roads of Door County and then have a cookout and BS about our cars. Now get moving on your car Travis, so we can check it out this fall.:D

Cruise/GTG

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hey all, I've been using a 2060vklr for almost 5 years now and for just over 1 year I've upgraded it with a billet compressor wheel. I've had no issues running 40psi through it (before and after the billet wheel) and no oil leaks... apart from when it was touched by another workshop who stuffed it all up and I ended up fixing it again...

My 2060vklr has been welded onto the stock cast manifold too. I couldn't be happier with this turbo. In my opinion it's worth every cent! If you're interested in such a turbo, get in touch with JTT. I bought mine off him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Now you have me re-thinking my idea to go with a GTB1756VK or GTD1752VRK... I might have to go up a size.
Sturgeon Bay here and I'm hosting a cruise/gtg on October 20th, so why don't we all have some fun cruising the back roads of Door County and then have a cookout and BS about our cars. Now get moving on your car Travis, so we can check it out this fall.:D
Cruise/GTG

Cool, I'll will put that on the calendar. Hopefully my car should be all put back together and tuned properly by the....

sltlytwkd

TDI
03 jetta

Your buddy Jfettig that I met at your cruise a few years ago did the tuning for me. So a huge shout out to him for fondling it to my liking!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Your buddy Jfettig that I met at your cruise a few years ago did the tuning for me. So a huge shout out to him for fondling it to my liking!
Yeah, Jon does a great job on working with people to get them exactly what they want.
He spent quite a bit of time dialing in my car when it was getting some work done on it by greengeeker. The car runs amazing now and is a blast out on the track. What better way to put a GTB2260VK to good use. :D

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
No problems with 2260VKLR here! They are designed to last 1 000 000km, so if the installation isnt done bad there should be no issues.
I use no oil restrictor!