DPF Delete vs DPF replace Costs

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
I’ve seen many posts about DPF elimination and I have a question.

…… hopefully without getting into a debate about air pollution or the recycled exhaust temperature gasses the system expects to see and operate at.

For those that have had experience or firsthand knowledge with either tuning for DPF elimination and DPF replacement or DPF cleaning……..

…….…..what is the cost of replacing and/or cleaning the DPF when it fails vs the turnkey cost for a tune that involves: removing the DPF, sourcing & installing the associated exhaust piping, reprogramming for no DPF (& associated) cels.

Thanks

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
I got my dpf/ egr delete down pipe and mid pipe for 570 shipped from Buzzken, stage 2 malone tune, 549 plus 80 for shipping, and my shop is going to install my new pipes for around 400. So all together for the delete it comes to. $1599. Way cheaper then a dpf replacement and due to the egr being removed, no more Intercooler icing. Which is the main reason I went the delete route.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
Thanks fdizz -- do you still have a muffler? -- if so is it the stock one or did you need to use a different one?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It looks like online price for a DPF is slightly under $1000 ($980 on the first site I looked at). The labor to replace it will be about the same as the labor to remove it. No tune required, just a friend with VCDS.

There are also other "costs" to keep in mind besides parts and labor. A car with a stock emissions system can be sold to anybody, anywhere, any time. A car with illegal modifications can only be sold to willing people who happen to live in areas without smog inspections. This will limit your group of possible buyers if/when you decide to sell your car. When considering modifications, you should consider all costs involved.

Have Fun!

Don

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
thanks Don -- important points to consider -- another thing I thought about, in terms of down the line costs, and I'm not sure if this is "certified & standard" VW policy or not....but from various posts on this board it seems that in some cases where folks have had HPFP failures on cars out of warranty, VW has eaten the cost of the repair. On a car with a dpf delete, there'd prbly be zero chance of VW picking up the tab.......but then again, I hvnt seen hard evidence that VW will pick up the out of warranty bill on a non-misfueled pump failure tdi. I don't mean to get off track myself on this as I was looking at costs and you presented good information to consider.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It looks like online price for a DPF is slightly under $1000 ($980 on the first site I looked at). The labor to replace it will be about the same as the labor to remove it. No tune required, just a friend with VCDS.

There are also other "costs" to keep in mind besides parts and labor. A car with a stock emissions system can be sold to anybody, anywhere, any time. A car with illegal modifications can only be sold to willing people who happen to live in areas without smog inspections. This will limit your group of possible buyers if/when you decide to sell your car. When considering modifications, you should consider all costs involved.

Have Fun!

Don
Thinking ahead, as usual. Good work, Don.

Bill

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
sorry -- this section seemed like the most logical place to post because I've seen a lot of DPF related posts here from members with first hand knowledge abt the procedure and costs -- didn't mean to offend anyone.....

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
seeing you live in austin, you have no emissions testing. delete it, and be happy. your car will use less fuel, breathe better, and your engine will have a longer, happier life without the excess backpressure dpf's create, especially once they get clogged.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
Thanks ghohouston -- and you're correct about the inspection; TDI's are treated the same as trucks.......windshield, brakes, wipers, lights and you are good to go. I'd be lyin if I said I wasn't interested in the tune and dpf/egr delete......I'm just a bit on the fence till I get a bit more info.

At the minimum I'd need to research and locate an exhaust installer who has hopefully done the exhaust mod a few times and is also in the vicinity.

I looked at Rawtek's install instructions, and while I do my own basic mntce along with brakes, and electrical stuff like adding a loprofile subwoofer, fogs, and better headlites (Ed's Lights from over at the Vortex) and don't usually feel intimidated by mechanical stuff.....Id' prefer to put the exhaust system R&R in the hands of someone with a proper shop who has done been thru it ....me on my creeper and the car up on ramps and jack stands, working solo and bulling the old parts out is not eggsackly my idea of an afternoon.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
If you're at all mechanically inclined, you will be able to tackle the job in an afternoon, no problem. And will save yourself some money

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
Thanks for the encouragement......I'm pretty tooled up and have replaced mufflers and manifolds on various clunkers/gassers over the years.....I'll give those install instructions another look as well as speak to someone at Rawtek and Malone and get some other questions answered.