1.9 TDi T4 Transporter (UK) - increase power?

Glyn

TDI
T4 Transporter 1000 SWB 1.9TDi, 1998, Indian Blue
Hi there,

I have a 1998 T4 Transporter 1000 SWB 1.9TDi and am guessing it is the lowly 68hp motor...

I recently hired an LT with a 109hp engine...wow!

Driving mine is now like driving through treacle...

What would be the best way to increase power?

Superchips look interesting as it is clean, quick & easy but a 25% increase would only take me to the equivalent of a 88hp model - should I consider replacing my 68hp with the 88hp engine or greater?

As I see the 1.9 TDi comes with various power outputs (up to 150hp) would it be a straightforward job to swap the engine out?

I guess I would need the ECU from the higher output motor - is anything else needed?

WOuld I use the original gearbox and/or would the driveshafts match up?

Any other hints/tips/suggestions etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

juli0s

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 1996
Hi,

What is the engine code ? Look on your most recent MOT certificate.

You need to establish that before you start modding....

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
A number of members here in North America have gotten the full injectors from a 5 cylinder TDI transporter. The power is a very nice upgrade, and doesn't cause any smoke on my car unless I really use the power.

IF the injectors are a similar design to the Bora/Golf injectors, you can probably save some time and just get some injector nozzles if you want to save some money.

Engine swaps...well, the higher output and more modern TDI engines are PD, and don't have a seperate fuel injector pump, etc. I don't know how straght a swap it would be, but it probably could be done.

If you want only a few HP, a chip or injectors will get the job done. If you want a lot of HP, you'll have to look into some swapping and possibly some fabricating.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Your engine is probably the ABL code 4cyl tdi. The LTs use either 5 or 6 cyl depending on year but the 125, 130 and 160bhp are 4cyl (150 uses commonrail injection. The only engine you could probably swap is the 125 or 130 since they are both 4cyl but you will need everything along with that eg ecu, wiring, instrument cluster, exhaust downpipe, intercooler etc it will be a lot of work IF it is a straight swap engine mount wise. The rest of engines are all 5 or 6 cyl so I guess they will need even more work.

Best bet is to upgrade a chip, fit a intercooler of a higher powered model (maybe turbo aswell) along with the bigger injectors and you will probably gain quite a bit of power (more than that LT you drove I presume).

Hope that helps a bit.

Glyn

TDI
T4 Transporter 1000 SWB 1.9TDi, 1998, Indian Blue
Thanks for the replies,

The engine number I believe is ABL******

I guess that tells me the engine code is ABL ?

Can someone please be more specific regarding which injectors to fit and results that I would expect from this mode alone and in conjunction with a chip?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

reesha

TDI
Skoda Octavia VRS
Swap nozzles - use 150HP T4 (SPRINT764)

It is great upgrade for a good price. I did several of them. Anything else insn't needed to do.
You will have new nozzles (for safety of your engine) with powerful upgrade.

And, if you would need more power after swap, you can chip it. You will have more power with uncomparably less less smoke with these bigger nozzles.

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
VW dont make a 1.9tdi t4 in england.The abl engine is an idi 1.9td,unfortunatly not as tuneable as the 4 cyl tdi motor.

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Simon, thanks for correcting me on the IDI issue. You wont be able to chip it or get larger injectors easily BTW as it mechanical pump. Its not that hard to tune the pump for more fuel though which gave my td a good power increase!

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
The abl pump doesnt have a boost enrichment device so i would get rid of that and fit an aaz pump from a Golf or Vento and tweek that you would get better results.

reesha

TDI
Skoda Octavia VRS
Sorry.. I thought that you were speaking about 2.5 TDI..
T4 98 1.9 is probably ABL (with indirect injection) as TDI RS wrote.