1994 Toyota TDI conversion

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Actually its a Yanmar 1610D 4x4, circa 1980 I believe. Under 550hrs on it. I've got a few implements for it along with the Koyker loader. I use it to manage the horse arena/roundpen and occasionally my neighbors back yard(1 acre).

I wish I would have snapped a pic of the adapter before I put it in, but didn't think of it then.
Got my parts for the CEL hookup. Is the GP light a known wire from the ECU too, and no reversing ground? I plan on hooking up CEL, GP, Oil, Temp if I can. I need to review the Bentely for the oil/temp lights too. I added the Toyota Oil Pressure sensor to the filter housing, and an inline engine temp for the Toyota gauges, but I like the idea of a backup for both Oil/temp from the VW ECU.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, finished up some wiring today. Using just the Toyota key now. Looking for input on the GP output on the ECU, if anyone has that detail.

Down to these last few items, and then its time to get the emission inspection done, so I can drive it legal.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
IIRC correctly (and if my notes are correct) it's pin 40 of 121 blue/green that's the alternative output for glows....again I need to get back in the shop and look at the bentley to be sure.... the ecm pins I used for tach/glow/CEL all terminated in bulkhead connector group (rainbow connectors :)....it just took some time and probing to figure out which wire did what....

Last edited:

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Jim, I've read 2 different threads where you point to a 12V source or a 3V. I looked last night, and my 01 NB ECU has no 11/121 wire, so trying to decide if I need to find another 3V reference, or just use 12V for the CEL and GP lights on the Toy cluster.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jim, I've read 2 different threads where you point to a 12V source or a 3V. I looked last night, and my 01 NB ECU has no 11/121 wire, so trying to decide if I need to find another 3V reference, or just use 12V for the CEL and GP lights on the Toy cluster.
Hey Fred .... Don't use the 3v source that experiment didn't work so well .... Just use the voltage from the toy cluster to light the bulbs ;)

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, today is a very special day. Took me about 3.5 hrs to get all of the Emissions/Referee/MVD work done, but I now have one Emissions legal Toyota/ALH on the road. Driving it today was petty cool, and I really need some taller tires. Even with the V6 trans, 3K at 70 is a little high for my liking.

Toyota Diesel, with 1.0% Opacity, sweet!! This is just the Stg3 TDTuning tune only.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
a few more shots of the finished product. I'll get some video hopefully soon.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, I've put at least 300 miles on the truck, even took it for some light offroading the other night to see how it did. Gave me a chance to teach my son some wheeling tips. I felt the front end was too soft and sitting low, so cranked the torsion bars to get the front up by 3/4 inch, and it sits more level, and not too firm. Even offroad, it didn't beat you up.

So far, mileage is right at 30mpg, which I'm happy with. 33s are probably going to be in the near future, to get the revs down a little. Although its good incentive to keep my 16yr old from screaming the motor.

We have some fun offroad areas right down the road, so did some exploring, and went up and down some decent hills. 4Low was fun, as the torque of the motor let the truck go right up and idle down hills with no problem.

Planning to take it out again tomorrow afternoon. I need to get some video this time, now that I have my son along for the fun. I think he's really enjoying driving the truck, and is so ready to go take his driving test, so he can start driving it back and forth to school. Of course, being 16, he's wanting that killer stereo in it too.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Awesome vids man!!! Looks like a steady cam .... The kid looks so stoked to be driving that beast .... What part of AZ are you in ? I did a winter in Tucson and absolutely loved it :)

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
West of Phoenix near Buckeye. The area is called White Tanks Mtns.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
That truck is looking MINTY! Jealous of your rust free yota's over there. Looks like it chugs around nicely in 4Low. Nice videos too, what did you use to keep the camera steady?

Congrats!

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
youtube recognizes how shaky it is, and adjusts it for you. My hand and the camera aren't that smooth. Nikon Coolpix camera.

You'd be even more jeolous if I told you what I paid for said clean 94 Toyota with 112K miles and a motor that just needed a TimingBelt and water pump, then sold the motor after fixing it, to cut purchase price in half.(clue)

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, had a few extra seconds while picking up horse feed, and put it on the scales. Dang, a little heavier than I thought the truck weighed.

3660lb. (empty w-1/4tank of fuel)

Anyone weighed their Forerunner yet?

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
That's about right. My 94' 4x4 standard cab is 3400 and change.

I hope to put a TDI in it this winter....maybe next spring.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I decided I wanted more power for the TDI, so today, installed the new 17/22 turbo and PP764 injectors. Should have a Stg4 ECU from Mike(tdtuning.com) here on Monday so I can put the 3bar map in.
let's just say its much more fun to drive now. Had to change my connection to the IC with a different silicon adpater, and for the turbo inlet pipe too. Also, had to reclock the turbo compressor housing to not interfere with the AC lines. Still had plenty of room for the turbo even with the A/C compressor pretty close to in front of it.

Last edited:

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, got my rebuilt Westach egt/boost gauge hooked up on the Toyota now, and seeing the differences in gauge readings between it and my Golf. With the weight difference, I did expect to see higher boost and EGTs in the Toyota vs the Golf.

For those with Toyota conversions,(stock or modified motors) do you have Boost/EGTs being monitored? Interested in your EGT/Boost numbers

For my comparison: Golf at 70mph, EGTs runs around 800degrees, and maybe 5-7psi boost(2400rpm roughly)
Truck at 70mph, EGTs close to 1000degrees, and boost at 10psi(2900rpm)

Knowing the truck weighs a bit more than the car, I think the numbers are very close to what they should be. Gearing on the truck is not quite ideal, but I am looking to drop from 4.30s to 4.10s(IFS front end and complete rear axle available, all under $100) and then going to at least 32s.

I'm not sure I want to lift it to put 33s on, for I feel that might hurt the mileage more than it helps the highway cruising speed.

Disclaimer: I run the same gauge in both vehicles. Same turbo, same tune, very slightly different injectors(R520s vs PP764s), IQ at 5.2(sure keeps the smoke clear and my mileage doesn't suffer)

The truck runs very well with the power changes. Its always fun out pulling everyone on the highway entrance ramps, and just the tale tale sign its a diesel with the puff in between shifts.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
yeah...that sounds about same for EGT's on my truck....if I run b100 or a good percentage the temps at that speed can drop 100 degrees or more, I'm heading to chapin SC tomorrow so I'll get a good look at the boost gauge too....funny how you're going taller in gearing and I'm planning on going lower but we'll both end up with 4.10's ;)

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Well, I decided I wanted more power for the TDI, so today, installed the new 17/22 turbo and PP764 injectors. Should have a Stg4 ECU from Mike(tdtuning.com) here on Monday so I can put the 3bar map in.
let's just say its much more fun to drive now.
Now you see why I always recommend bigger turbo's from the get go on just about everything :)?

elwood73

TDI
2000 new beetled / 2004 jetta
from which dodge did you get your motor mounts ,or do you have the part number, thanks

elwood73

TDI
2000 new beetled / 2004 jetta
how cold does it get in arizona and how has the swap affected the heater, my wifes heater in her beetle isn't worth squat and im curious as to what happen in the swap.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
how cold does it get in arizona and how has the swap affected the heater, my wifes heater in her beetle isn't worth squat and im curious as to what happen in the swap.
the foam is probably gone from the blend doors on your wifes beetle.... I can't answer for fred but the heat my tacoma swap and my beetle will both run you out.... I fixed the blend doors on my beetle about two years ago because of lost heat....

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
the motor mounts are simple Dodge v8 mounts for a 1/2 ton truck. My heater in the Toy will cook you quick.

tdi_yota

TDI
'03 Jetta ALH (engine only)
Great swap! I've got the very same truck that should be on the receiving end of an ALH ('03) in the coming months. Would you be willing to share some specifics on fitment? Your information will be of great help as it seems you are working with a relatively stock Toyota.

How did you deal with the firewall clearance issue of the vacuum pump/coolant outlet at the rear of the engine?

Were there any clearance issues with the front diff. and oil pan, cutting/welding or diff. drop needed?

How did you choose to setup the fuel pedal? Did you mount the whole assembly or rig up the Toyota pedal to actuate the module?

It seems like you used the VW power steering pump, were you able to use the Toyota hoses or did you have custom hoses made?

Where did you source the crank mounted AC pulley and the lower tensioner pulley for the AC compressor?

How did you end up packaging and attaching the ECU to the vehicle?

I've read many builds, but only yours is spot on for what I intend to do (same truck, same engine). Thanks for taking the time to write up your build.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Great swap! I've got the very same truck that should be on the receiving end of an ALH ('03) in the coming months. Would you be willing to share some specifics on fitment? Your information will be of great help as it seems you are working with a relatively stock Toyota.

How did you deal with the firewall clearance issue of the vacuum pump/coolant outlet at the rear of the engine?

Were there any clearance issues with the front diff. and oil pan, cutting/welding or diff. drop needed?

How did you choose to setup the fuel pedal? Did you mount the whole assembly or rig up the Toyota pedal to actuate the module?

It seems like you used the VW power steering pump, were you able to use the Toyota hoses or did you have custom hoses made?

Where did you source the crank mounted AC pulley and the lower tensioner pulley for the AC compressor?

How did you end up packaging and attaching the ECU to the vehicle?

I've read many builds, but only yours is spot on for what I intend to do (same truck, same engine). Thanks for taking the time to write up your build.
This guy has a lot of great questions. I would be interested in hearing the answers as well. Also, do you have any more recent videos after the last parts were installed? Perhaps some higher RPM footage? Thanks!