Alternator pulley on '05 Jetta?

Local2ED

TDI
2005 Jetta
Hi, I have an '05 Jetta (BEW) that makes an intermittent growling noise on start-up that causes the battery light on the dash to light while the noise is heard. After about five minutes of idling it stops making noise. The battery light comes on only when it makes the noise.
I did the searching on this forum and it sounds like the clutch pulley is the problem but I don't recall anybody saying their battery light comes on with the noise. Why would a noisy pulley cause the battery light to turn on?
I have some numbers off the alternator but don't know if it's a Bosch or Valeo, and the dealer couldn't tell me either as of now.
I checked the pully and it spins in one direction only although it felt just very slightly a little rough, I expected from the noise it would be worse.
Anyway, here are the numbers on the alternator:

038 903 023L
90A 14V
3RO 32/04
0 124 325 001 (904)
Made in Mexico

Also the alternator spins very smooth both ways with no noise.

Can anybody tell me alternator I have and if all the clutch/pulleys are the same?
Thank you.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Why would a noisy pulley cause the battery light to turn on?"

Because it is slipping due to an internal clutch mechanism failure and the alternator is slowing, causing the charge light to illuminate. All of the alternator pulleys on the BEW are clutched and there is only one type:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1118

You need this to replace it:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=123_129&products_id=564

The original pulleys are an extremely high failure item. Many fail in the 80,000 mile range. I can almost guarantee you yours has failed.

--Nate

Local2ED

TDI
2005 Jetta
Thanks,PDJetta, I thought it might be slowing/slipping but could not tell by it running.I'll buy the pulley that you showed me and take the alternator to a alternator repair shop where they told me they would swap the pulley for "a couple bucks", at that price I don't know if it's worth buying the tool, although some people have said you can replace the pulley in the car with the metalnerd tool, others said it's easier to pull the alternator and do it on the bench.
The car has 133,000 miles on it so it probably was due like you said.

If I disconnect the battery on this car do I need to do anything specific when I re-connect like code the radio or anything else?
Thanks.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
It is probably easier to replace the pulley in the car rather than remove the alternator.

You shouldn't need to do anything with the radio. Sometimes the airbag light will come on and sometimes the windows won't auto-up for a couple times but those both usually reset themselves.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Disconnecting the battery will also reset your trip OD and the clock will default to 12:00, but no big deal unless you keep close track of your mileage.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I replaced the pulley on mine with the alternator in the car and I have the older style pulley tools that are longer. I did have to loosen the windshield washer reservoir for added clearance, though.

If the alternator repair shop has the proper tools that would be easier. Ask them if they will replace it for you with the alternator on the car. If not, on the BEW the alternator is not too hard to remove. The pulley is on the shaft quite tight, though. Do disconnect the battery ground strap first, though. You don't need the radio code. The code is only needed if your radio is installed in another VW.

--Nate

Local2ED

TDI
2005 Jetta
I replaced the pulley today and that cured the problem. I ended up removing the alternator and taking it to a alt./gen./ starter rebuilding shop that I use to rebuild my stuff, charged me $10.00 and fifteen minutes later I was heading home to re-install the alt.
Really is easy to remove on the BEW engine.
Hooked the battery back up and everything worked like before.
Never knew about a clutch pulley on a alt. untill I searched the noise on this forum. I was ready to have the alt. rebuilt because it sounded like a bearing going bad.
Anyway, thanks for everybody's help, I probably saved myself a few bucks and I hope this thread saves a few buck's for somebody else.

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
Is there a solid (non clutched) pulley for the A4 Jetta (mines a 2002 TDI with the 120 amp bosch)? I have a 9 month old alternator that acts like the pulley is slipping at speed after about 70 miles of driving. The bat light will come on. Let the engine idle down and it goes out. Does good for about 60 or 70 miles and then comes on again.

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
The question is why? A statement "You don't want a solid pulley on there" needs an explanation. They make them for the A5.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The question is why? A statement "You don't want a solid pulley on there" needs an explanation. They make them for the A5.
I guess you've never experienced what happens when they lock up then? It'll beat the crap out of the tensioner, the belt, and eventually throw it off. Which is why the first complaint of a locked up pulley is "car is making a banging/knocking noise at idle, and the tensioner is bouncing".

prothe also sells parts for these cars, you would be wise not to use any of them, however. :rolleyes:

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for the explanation. I have had them lock up on American and Japanese cars. Usually the alternators have just had the regulators fail (or get a noisy bearing) before locking up. I have a 9 month old "Lifetime" rebuilt from OReilleys Auto. I'll just take it back tonight or tomorrow and swap it out.

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
Another faulty, expensive German design. With the high cost and high failure rate of parts on the VW, this will be my last one.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Another faulty, expensive German design. With the high cost and high failure rate of parts on the VW, this will be my last one.
All vehicle manufacturers are going to this design, gas and diesel. People, you have to remember, these are machines. Machines do break.

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
The problem is you shouldn't have to mortgage your house to purchase parts and have to go to the dealer for many of the so called common failure items. Of course when you have only 1 dealer in the state, they charge whatever they want and get away with it. I have 4 diesel pickups, one with over 300K miles and 2 with well over 200K miles. When parts do fail on them, they are readily available and aren't expensive. I have had very few part failures on these pickups.

oilhammer

TDI
The problem is you shouldn't have to mortgage your house to purchase parts and have to go to the dealer for many of the so called common failure items. Of course when you have only 1 dealer in the state, they charge whatever they want and get away with it. I have 4 diesel pickups, one with over 300K miles and 2 with well over 200K miles. When parts do fail on them, they are readily available and aren't expensive. I have had very few part failures on these pickups.

ROFL, I guess none of them are 6.0L Powerstrokes, then :rolleyes:

Seriously, the alternator pulley design is quite common, and hardly anything to fret over.

And just so you know, MOST of ANY automobile is in fact based on something the Germans pioneered. Go research some before you start talking smack about Germans, because chances are none of us could have gotten to work this morning if it weren't for them.

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
3 Cummins and 1 7.3 powerstroke. Wouldn't have a 6.0. If it was just the alternator pulley, it wouldn't be so bad (except it is such a pain to get to and have lifetime warranty on alternator). Starters, injection pump pouring diesel, interior switches, antenna falling apart, headliner falling down, door panel coverings coming loose, etc.

Last edited:

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
Found another VW only item while changing alternator. The 2 mounting bolts. One was broken at the edge of the threaded insert. None to be found as they are an oddball length (we have several bolt companies around here). Had to order from local VW place. They didn't stock them so having to wait 2 days to get them from Dallas. Online they show a list price of $2.80 each (buy for $1.71 each). Local dealter wants $4.75 plus tax each. Only dealer around so they charge whatever they want.

oilhammer

TDI
Oddball length. Yep, Volkswagen cranked out some 8 million cars last year, maybe they equip their cars with normal length bolts, and everyone else is oddball. :p

You really should part ways with that car if something as trivial as bolts get you knotted up.

jdross440

TDI
2002 Jetta
It's not just the bolts, it's the fact you can't get replacement parts away from the dealer on a lot of items that are normal wear items. Also I know VW mechanics that complain constantly about the way they are engineered that make them difficult and very time consuming to work on in thier shops (dealer shops-not average independant shops).

oilhammer

TDI
Proving once again dealers have incompetent technicians, because these cars are super easy to service. :rolleyes:

Not sure I'd consider alternator bolts "normal wear items", maybe I should go check all mine. :)