Where is the oil filter located on my 2011 Jetta TDI?

shikano53

TDI
2011 Jetta
I looked in my owner's manual and it doesn't show me or tell me where the oil filter is located.

Could anyone please tell me where it is located?

Thank you

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
under the engine cover...give it a firm pull at each corner and it will pop off

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
No problem it should be under a plastic screw on cap as tdis use element filters vs metal one piece filter.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Do a search on the Mk5 or Mk6/Golf/JSW folders it'll be in the same spot under/near a metal hose coverd in a mesh white sock that'll get nice and black your first oil change. It requirs a 32mm socket to remove without hassle, many FLAPs cary them as its the same size as many smaller GMs and other brands, I got mine for 9.99 at Pep Boys when I picked up M1 ESP 507 for the change.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
When reinstalling your engine cover, dab a little white lithium grease on the snaps that hold it on. The covers can get reluctant to come off sometimes and can be broken if you get too rough trying to pop them off, especially if they're cold.

P.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I looked in my owner's manual and it doesn't show me or tell me where the oil filter is located.

Could anyone please tell me where it is located?

Thank you
i dont think VW wants you to even open the hood on the new cars! there is nothing in the owner's manual at all these days!

bastards! i tell ya! :)

jthom33

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
+1 on ^.....I just picked up my 2011 and the sales guy was insistant that it be brought back for ALL maintainance......umm...Yeah sure buddy.....

jku72

TDI
2011 sportwagen
What is the filter looking thing under the engine, just forward of the oil pan? It has the same cover as the oil filter up under the cover.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
+1 on ^.....I just picked up my 2011 and the sales guy was insistant that it be brought back for ALL maintainance......umm...Yeah sure buddy.....
And then charge upwards of $80 for an oil change :mad: ..... what a fawkin joke !!! I'll do everything (and have done) I can MYSELF !!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$80 actually isn't that bad if you think about it, $8/L x5 L plus $10 filter you're looking at $50 in parts alone.

Granted like you, i'll gladly pocket that $30 that would have gone to the dealer.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
I was taking a guess at $80 for an oil change ..... I really don't know what it is at a dealer. I've always done my own ......

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh i'm sure a 10K service with all the other needed "maintenaince items" the dealer does, racks up real quick!

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
$80 actually isn't that bad if you think about it, $8/L x5 L plus $10 filter you're looking at $50 in parts alone.

Granted like you, i'll gladly pocket that $30 that would have gone to the dealer.
You guys recommend the $8.91 WIX oil filter on rockauto at all?

I'm pretty sure I can get the oil cheaper then that. Not by much but probably $30 by buying it at the 5 quart jug. $30+$10/$80 should be half the price.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WIX is a good filter from what i've heard, i picked up Manns from idparts.

I'd be real interested in the 5 quart jug for 30, i think idparts is the only place i've seen with big jugs of 507 oil.

If you really want, pep boys has been known to offer M1 oils on sale $5qt/L or as low as $4qt on some sales. The M1 507 ESP oil won't come up on sale, but if you argue, you'll get the price. I recently got 12L at $5/L.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What is the filter looking thing under the engine, just forward of the oil pan? It has the same cover as the oil filter up under the cover.
If it's pretty much directly under the oil filter, it's most likely the thing that holds the oil cooler in place.