Snow Tires for 2009 Jetta TDI Question??

coolmodee

TDI
2009 TDI Highline
I have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with OEM rims and tires at the moment. Size is 205/55 R 16 according to the tire.

I wanted to know what snow/winter tires you recommend for my car? (I live in Toronto, if that makes a difference ... I know we don't get the snow they get in Buffalo, but we still get some.) I am going to be using my OEM rims with the winter tires and going to get new rims and tires next summer.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Coolmodee

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I use nokian hakkapeliitta snow tires on my stock 16" bioline rims. I've used them for the past 2 winters with excellent results. I think mine are model 4, with studs.

I did the same thing - used stock wheels for snows, then get new wheels/tires the following spring :)

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Nokians are the gold standard. Having said that, I wound up with Bridgestone Blizzaks. Have not used them yet.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i am eyeing a set of Blizzaks WS-60s on tirerack, price seems decent and reviews seem awesome, not to mention the $50 gift card they are tossing in with every set of 4.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
I have P195 65R 15 Toyo GO2 snow tires on 15 in. steel rims that I had on my 2006 TDI. I'm going to use them on my new 2009 TDI. Excellent snow tire! They have ground up Japanese Black Walnut shells in the rubber compound which give good traction on ice and they wear longer. This will be the fourth winter. Still lots of tread left. We have 5 months of winter here.

80kOneWay

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've been happy with Green Diamond tires for the past 6 winters here. I have only had them on my TDI for last winter after I bought the car. They're doing fine. I got separate rims from TireRack that are alloy, look nice & were on sale for $69 Each. With snow tires, it's best to stay with a small radius to keep your sidewall large for pothole protection. I'm running 17" Avignons in summer & 16" winter wheels.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Yes, the Hakkis. I wound up with the Blizzaks because when I got my 17" wheels, I was also given the 16" OE wheels with the Bridgestone tires on them. A Bridgestone dealer was willing to credit me full wholesale value toward snow tires, and the best in his shop were the Blizzaks.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
http://www.vredestein.com/

If you drive in a lot of snow, I've found the above tires very good. My dad finally tried them a few years ago, and he won't take them off :p . They go through anything. He had a bad ice storm a few years ago, and he watched as everyone around him spun out all over in their 4wd's, while he tooled along in the fwd.

He got out of the car, slipped, and fell lol..He was convinced at that point.

Even with driving on pavement/gravel, the tread wear has been minimal. The ones he purchased have a 40k tread wear warranty(not sure if he has the all season, or full snow). The all season is still rated as a full snow tire.

I as going to order them for my 09, but :rolleyes:...Oh well. Have to wait on delivery of the new one.

Last edited:

Falcon75

TDI
2002, 2006
2006 A5 Jetta Sedan

Curious, my car came with the 205/55/R16 tires from the factory, can I put on a 195/65/R15 winter rim and tire combination on the 06? And if so what difference would it make in the handling of the car? does it affect the traction control or anti lock brakes in anyway? Just wondering if I could even fit this type of application on the car?

Thanks Bruce.

xtoyz

Veteran Member
TDI
Dodge Cummins
I definitely need tires good in deeper stuff. I snowmobile in the mountains where my family owns a place. We regularly get 6ft over night. Obviously I won't drive in that, but driving in 8-12" of snow isn't unheard of.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
What are the OEM rim size for the 09 Jetta. I have a wagon. Is it 5 x 112, 16 x 6.5???

I have bought Michelin Aritc Alpin 2 from Costco. Im not sure if they change the tires on rims for free anymore. Im thinking about getting the Michelin X-Ice2 or Blizzak W-60.

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
I have always used Blizzaks on my Jettas in the past....a '95 and a '98. I never got stuck but, I didn't try to se the car as a snow plow either since they do have low clearance.

Karl

MAW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a set of the Nokian Hakka RSI's and love them. Not as good as studded tires in the deep snow and ice, but the best non stidded tire I've ever had.

coolmodee

TDI
2009 TDI Highline
Thanks for all your help guys. I am looking towards a Blizzaks model.

ekkoh99
, OEM on Canadian 2009 Jetta TDI 2.0 Highline is 205/55 R16.

Exmasonite

TDI
2009 JSW 6spd manual, 68K and counting...
coolmodee-

i've looked really hard at the blizzaks but am concerned about handling and wear on dry roads (i'm in michigan and our winters are very hit and miss... plus, i'm likely to put 15-20K on the tires over the course of the winter) so i'm taking a hard look at the Conti ExtremeWinterContact tires which are maybe not QUITE as good as the blizzaks for snow/ice but maybe a little better on dry/wet and wear better.

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
coolmodee said:
I am going to be using my OEM rims with the winter tires and going to get new rims and tires next summer.
I'm doing the same thing (and also in the Toronto area). Are you getting new TPMS sensors for your summer rums?

I'm on the lookout for a shop in the area that can switch my tires properly without destroying the sensors.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder what the cost increase will be for a shop to touch tires with the TPMS vs old school jane plain rims.

An extra 10 bucks/rim each season makes buying a whole new complete set of rims w/ the sensors all that much more worth it.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
740GLE said:
I wonder what the cost increase will be for a shop to touch tires with the TPMS vs old school jane plain rims.

An extra 10 bucks/rim each season makes buying a whole new complete set of rims w/ the sensors all that much more worth it.
The sensors run from about $100 to $200 depending on where you buy them. If you already have the sensors, when they mount the tire, it cost an extra $10 - $15 for the mounting kit which has the seals and what not.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i know the price of the sensors.

I was wondering if they would charge more for mounting a tire because you have TPMS, assuming you didn't have to touch the TPMS, just straight mounting fees.

pax1234

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
solartempest said:
I'm doing the same thing (and also in the Toronto area). Are you getting new TPMS sensors for your summer rums?

I'm on the lookout for a shop in the area that can switch my tires properly without destroying the sensors.
Are you sure you have TPMS sensors on your tires?

I didn't think the Canadian model had them. I didn't see the TPMS warning light on when I turned the key to the on position on mine.

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
pax1234 said:
Are you sure you have TPMS sensors on your tires?

I didn't think the Canadian model had them. I didn't see the TPMS warning light on when I turned the key to the on position on mine.
I'll check when I start my car later this afternoon. You might be right here... and save me from future annoyances/troubles.

tdipaddler

TDI
09 Reflex Silver JSW w/DSG
Canadian 2009 TDI Wagon TPMS

I can confirm that my 2009 TDI Wagon does NOT have TPMS. I swapped my OEM rims for aftermarket rims when I installed my snow tires in November 2008. There were no flashing lights on my dash after the change.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looking at Tire Rack Blizzac WS60s, should I go for 195/65/15 on steels? or 205/55/16 on steels? There is a $20 savings per tire going with the 15.

I know the taller sidewall will help with the bumps but might make the handling a bit more sloppy. But the 15 are a cheaper tire and more narrow == better in the snow.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
The thinner one will definitely stick in snow better, but the handling trade off will be very apparent also.
Me, I would stick with the 16's. When it comes time to do the front brakes in a few years, you can upgrade to the wagen brakes for about the same as replacing the current brakes. Already did this and like the difference.

15" will no longer clear.

Plus, you can get teh VW steel wheels AND the VW wheel cover for $36! How you gonna beat that?

Last edited: